Deadlift Grip?

OK, this has probably been asked a million times, but I just came back to dead lifts after a long illness, and back to the forum after a long time. Is there a reason for the "one palm up, one palm down" grip when dead lifting. That is how I was taught when I was younger, but the guy I train mma with is a former powerlifter who says a skinny old guy like me should go with both palms down. No one seems to have a reason for either.

1 up and 1 down helps to keep the bar from spinning out of your grip. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, the reverse grip seems to allow you to manage more weight, but can lead to biceps tears. From what I've been told so far, keep both in an overhang grip as long as possible to build grip strength and don't switch until you have to.

Thanks! That makes sense, even to me.

If powerlifting isnt a goal use double overhand with straps Phone Post 3.0

I will agree with all of the posts so far and amend the last one to be: use double overhand with straps for weights too heavy to grip without the straps. Otherwise use double over without straps.

vermonter - I will agree with all of the posts so far and amend the last one to be: use double overhand with straps for weights too heavy to grip without the straps. Otherwise use double over without straps.
Yep what i meant to say. Phone Post 3.0

Is this to reduce the bicep tear risk if you don't need to hit a certain form for competing? Phone Post 3.0

If so, are there different sorts of straps and wrapping techniques? Phone Post 3.0

Yep, and bicep tears aren't unheard of either. The grip feels fine to me, but I'd only use over under regularly if I was competing because its the strongest grip without straps.

I have a pair of Rex's Grips (or whatever they're called) which I really love. They are very short for straps and are way easier to get on and off a bar. ive got a stong grip so the extra boost is just right for me.

These guys:

Thanks Gents Phone Post 3.0

Hook grip is all I use anymore. Phone Post 3.0

Why use straps and miss out on developing grip strength? Phone Post 3.0

Kenny Blankenship - Why use straps and miss out on developing grip strength? Phone Post 3.0
Prevents risk of bicep tear, allows posterior chain to do more work. Phone Post 3.0

I sumo lift with a over under grip. I like that way a lot Phone Post 3.0

I_AM_THE_CAWKSUCKER -
GnP Sonnen - I sumo lift with a over under grip. I like that way a lot Phone Post 3.0
How much you pulling sumo? Do you conventional too? Phone Post 3.0

But I just started heavier deadlifts a few weeks ago. I don't really do conventional, it's uncomfortable for me. Phone Post 3.0

I_AM_THE_CAWKSUCKER -
GnP Sonnen -
I_AM_THE_CAWKSUCKER -
GnP Sonnen - I sumo lift with a over under grip. I like that way a lot Phone Post 3.0

But I just started heavier deadlifts a few weeks ago. I don't really do conventional, it's uncomfortable for me. Phone Post 3.0
KG? Phone Post 3.0
Lbs
Sorry Phone Post 3.0

I_AM_THE_CAWKSUCKER -
GnP Sonnen -
I_AM_THE_CAWKSUCKER -
GnP Sonnen -
I_AM_THE_CAWKSUCKER -

KG? Phone Post 3.0
Lbs
Sorry Phone Post 3.0
No bad dode, that's about 2x BW for you right? Phone Post 3.0
I weigh 160lbs right now so yeah pretty close Phone Post 3.0

I_AM_THE_CAWKSUCKER -
GnP Sonnen -
I_AM_THE_CAWKSUCKER -
GnP Sonnen -
I_AM_THE_CAWKSUCKER -
GnP Sonnen -
I_AM_THE_CAWKSUCKER -

KG? Phone Post 3.0
Lbs
Sorry Phone Post 3.0
No bad dode, that's about 2x BW for you right? Phone Post 3.0
I weigh 160lbs right now so yeah pretty close Phone Post 3.0
That's a good pull for your BW. I'm chasing the 220kg by feb on the events day but I'm doubtful il reach it in that time. Phone Post 3.0
Man that's a badass goal, I'd like to get 315lbs here soon. Phone Post 3.0