Deadlifts Ain't Worth It

Not worth the Risk of injury according to Strongman Robert Oberst.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

That's one of those lessons you have to learn over and over.

1 Like
StretchPlum - That's one of those lessons you have to learn over and over.

Took me twice. Same with back squats. If I'm going to deadlift it's with a trap bar and if I'm going to squat it will be a front squat. You've got to figure out what works for your body.

TzTinkle -

Took me twice. Same with back squats. If I'm going to deadlift it's with a trap bar and if I'm going to squat it will be a front squat. You've got to figure out what works for your body.

Samsies. 

For me it was just being able to shed the ego and lift for long term benefits instead of showing off for the hot asian and latin chicks at the gym 

2 Likes

Honestly, going real heavy on any movement isn't really worth the stress on your muscles, joints and tendons..so what if you can bench 410 for 2 reps or squat 550 for 3? I'd rather grab a decent amount of weight and lift it explosively for as many reps as I can

2 Likes
TzTinkle -

Same here.  

That doesn't mean you should do zero exercises to strengthen your lower back however, especially as you get older and are still doing dumb shit you probably should have stopped doing in your early 20s.

...but deadlifts arent the way to do it.

jacktripper -

For me it was just being able to shed the ego and lift for long term benefits instead of showing off for the hot asian and latin chicks at the gym 

You pansy!

CavemanDave - 

That doesn't mean you should do zero exercises to strengthen your lower back however, especially as you get older and are still doing dumb shit you probably should have stopped doing in your early 20s.

...but deadlifts arent the way to do it.

This.

I don't like ANY weight lifting that specifically targets the lower back. I prefer lifts like t-bar rows where your lower back is activated but not bearing the brunt of the lift.

I always had good deadlift form and still fucked up my lower back. After I healed up I decided to stop deadlifting and substitute with back extensions/good mornings. Just like Bruce Lee, I fucked my shit up again and I'm still not 100% over a year later.

I see younger dudes in the gym ego-deadlifting and doing all kinds of stupid crossfit spine wrecking lifts. Part of me wants to say something but it seems like fucking up your back is a rite of passage in a man's 20s.

is it safe as long as I wear a belt?

Deadlifts?  Awesome.

ive learned though that my knees can't take squats.  Also my back can't handle tire flips.  

I wish hex bars or "trap" bars were more common at commercial gyms.

1 Like

It's not the DL that are bad for you, it's the shitty form and heavy weight. If you do moderate loads and work on form a couple times a week it will help prevent injuries rather thank try to look cool and DL a shit ton of weight. 

3 Likes

Dead lifts are the best exercise ever, imo.  If done correctly with proper weight and forum they are no more dangerous than any other lift

5 Likes
raging_rick86 -

It's not the DL that are bad for you, it's the shitty form and heavy weight. If you do moderate loads and work on form a couple times a week it will help prevent injuries rather thank try to look cool and DL a shit ton of weight. 

Best exercise if done right. Worse exercise if done wrong. 

1 Like
Neil McCauley -

Best exercise if done right. Worse exercise if done wrong. 

Totally, bra. You should really teach the worlds strongest man proper form. I'm sure the issue is that he has no idea what the fuck he's doing and he needs some tips from a much more accomplished and knowledgable lifter, such as yourself. You should probably just become his trainer.

*Brofist*

7 Likes