deadlifts and squats

At the moment I lift weights twice a week and do squats one day and deadlifts another day. I do 5 x 5 deadlifts and 5 x 5 squats. I'm still relatively new to this so I don't use that much weight (250 in the deadlift and 200 in the squat). My question is as I progress and the weight increases will doing deadlifts and squats in the same week 5 x 5 be too much and how should I modify it?

Do squats for a month. Then do DL. Or do DL and front squats in the same week.

[quote]Leigh - no, doing them on different days is fine. 5x5 is a hard workout but a good one. just make sure you rest on those days in between[/quote] 

agreed

Wiggy - workout plans

Leigh - no, doing them on different days is fine. 5x5 is a hard workout but a good one. just make sure you rest on those days in between

i just started a 5x5 program where i;m going to be squatting 3 days a week. do you think that with the propper maintenance (sleep, diet etc) it would be unwise to train mma on the days in between? because that was my plan, lift m, w, f and train mma t, w, th

brendan shanahan -

i just started a 5x5 program where i;m going to be squatting 3 days a week. do you think that with the propper maintenance (sleep, diet etc) it would be unwise to train mma on the days in between? because that was my plan, lift m, w, f and train mma t, w, th
I'm assuming you're talking about the Starr/Pendlay 5x5 routine.  It's a great program but if you've got the #'s figured out correctly you're going to have a hard time using this program in conjunction with regular MMA training.  Weeks 3 and 4 I find to be partciularly brutal myself.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but using the program as is and training MMA regularly is a recipe for failure.

Try modifying the program by only lifting twice a week instead of 3.  Drop the 3rd workout entirely.  You'll be squatting twice up until you increase the intensity and the weight during week 5.  Then you'll drop the squat on your deadlift days. 

As for when to train MMA, you'll have to figure out what works best for you.  I  know that Leigh prefers to train MMA on the same days that he lifts.  I prefer to alternate, different for everyone.  On that note however - Leigh is a professional.  I am not and never will be.

yeah, essentially i'm going to be folling the bill starr 5x5 routine with other bodyweight stuff mixed in. if you're familiar with that guy mehdi's 5x5, it's a combination of the two sort of.

i've been training/lifting on pretty much the same schedule (m-w-f and t-w-th) for a while now and have been fine, i'm just hoping that the change in my routine doesn't throw me for a loop.

Lots of powerlifters train both squat and dead on the same day. I don't like to but people do it with great success.

Here's the link to the Bill Starr 5 x 5 program:

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

I used this for about 6 weeks before a powerlifting comp. Got me to personal bests of 575 deadlift and 550 squat.

It's a 9 week program though, how did you modify it to hit those PR's so early in the program?

Was that 23 consecutive reps?  ie - 1 set?  If so, why?

i've hit some sort of psychological wall with my squat. i'm a big dude, 6'4 255 but new to these power lifts (seriously doing it for about three months). i've trained muay thai for three years and am in decent cardio shape (can go 13-15 3 minute rounds)

but, with the squat, i'm stuck at 225. did a set of 6 today but if think about putting more weight on there i just dont feel like i can do it. even though the 225 moves up and down pretty well. i do lots of light weight squats to perfect my form but when i'm benching 255 this 225 limit on the squat seems ridiculous

has anyone else had a mental issue with squatting?

i squat deep (past parallel), three days a week and want to go up big in weight but something is holding me back....

that sounds like a good idea. thanks for the info. when doing reps though, its just the same i guess? or do you reset on the rack each time?

the squat is a fairly technical lift, i think i think too much while i'm doing it.

i mean, damn, i should be able to squat my weight easily!

dc1000 - i've hit some sort of psychological wall with my squat. i'm a big dude, 6'4 255 but new to these power lifts (seriously doing it for about three months). i've trained muay thai for three years and am in decent cardio shape (can go 13-15 3 minute rounds)

but, with the squat, i'm stuck at 225. did a set of 6 today but if think about putting more weight on there i just dont feel like i can do it. even though the 225 moves up and down pretty well. i do lots of light weight squats to perfect my form but when i'm benching 255 this 225 limit on the squat seems ridiculous

has anyone else had a mental issue with squatting?

i squat deep (past parallel), three days a week and want to go up big in weight but something is holding me back....

Maybe if you tried a heavier weight with spotters you'd feel more confident about it.

1armedScissor - It's a 9 week program though, how did you modify it to hit those PR's so early in the program?

I know -- not sure what I would have maxed at. The progressive nature of the program mandates that your weight for your 5 rep max on Monday is the same you used for your 3 rep max the previous Friday. Halfway through the program, you should still be stronger than when you started. Between bench, dead, and squat, my total went up over 300 lbs after doing this program for 6 weeks, mostly in dead and squat.

And for those stuck on squat -- FORM, FORM, FORM. Gotta go deep and use spotters.

thanks for the tips guys i really appreciate it.

the squat is such a great thing to for so many reasons.

i have a trainer, he spots me and i squat as deep as i can.

tomorrow i'm going to try barefeet (As opposed to the running shoes i've been using) and my confidence is up so perhaps i'll come back with a new PR.

i did a set of 6 at 225 on monday and i could have done two more at least. i'm thinking 245 or 255 should be doable for at least 3 reps.

i have to get my squat higher than my bench or i'm gonna freak!

thanks again

did reps with 255 today on the squat. its all mental. i'm a big puss apparently. thats a 30 lb increase over my prior best.

did bench with the same unfortunately.

squatdog,

i'm 6'4 so at this point nothing really has any real muscle on it yet. i'm still a total beginner at this but i'm trying.

did my first set of clean and press today. good stuff.

i'm guessing this is going to take years :)

PS didnt go barefoot but will be going with some wrestling shoes i think.

yeah, this plateau was all mental. from here we'll go in 10 lbs increments i bet.

fun stuff

dc1000 - yeah, this plateau was all mental. from here we'll go in 10 lbs increments i bet.

fun stuff

Don't run before you can walk.  You'll set yourself up for failure.  Don't limit yourself to 10lb increments is what I'm getting at, if you have a session where you don't get it it's still okay to use smaller increments as squatdog mentioned.

1AS:

sure thing. PS: 5kg is more than 10 lbs!! but i get your point.

I've been doing this enough now to understand that there are good days and bad days just make sure there are always days...

i use a trainer and we go through lighter weight warm up sets of higher reps, pyramiding (i think thats the term) up to a 3 rep set with the max weight for the day.

on wednesday we did our first clean and presses...boy i'm sore today! can't wait for tomorrow.

my muay thai has just gotten so much better since all the lifting as well. i'm cracking skulls now and am muscling people in the clinch. being strong(er) rocks.

6'4 255 and counting....

You notice that much difference in your strength already?  This thread is only a few weeks (if that) old.