Dealin with BITES and GROIN shots

Hey everyone,

how would a person using MMA in a street fight avoid bites and groin shots? There are alot of moves (especially once grappling/groundfighting begins) during whose performance one is left particularly vulnerable to groin shots and bites. How would you guys go about dealing with these problems associated with the execution of these moves in a street fight.

1) Guard: having someone start punching you in the groin as shown in Paul Vunak's "Anatomy of a street fight).

2) Mount: having someone, instead of elbow-knee escaping, bridge up and grab a person's groin!)

3) Juji-gatame: having someone bite your calf which is over his mouth).

4) Cross body/Side mount: having someone bite your right of left side close to his mouth

5) Triangle Choke: Having his bite your groin (DAMN!!)

Could you guys give me some possible solutions to these problems? Thanks

Good position will neglect most of those dangers IMO...

"1) Guard: having someone start punching you in the groin as shown in Paul Vunak's "Anatomy of a street fight). "

Can´t answer cos I don´t really get how anybody could get off any good shots to the groin from inside my guard.

"2) Mount: having someone, instead of elbow-knee escaping, bridge up and grab a person's groin!) "

Elbow in his face. His face will hurt worse than your groin cos you´ll do way more damage from your superior position...

"3) Juji-gatame: having someone bite your calf which is over his mouth). "

Quickly overextend his arm and then kick his head in...

"5) Triangle Choke: Having his bite your groin (DAMN!!) "

If you have his arm across like you should he´ll have little space to bite. Also you can distract his biting by delivering a bunch of elbows to his head like Sudo did against the british guy at UFC 38...

"4) Cross body/Side mount: having someone bite your right of left side close to his mouth "

Once again you can use strikes. You can also eyegouge or bite back. Your superior position will let you do more damage in return. Look at Ryan Gracie vs Tico(?) to see how the Gracies superior position let him deal out more damage as payback when the opponent tried an eyegouge. I think that Ryan actually bit the guys ear off to return the favor...

Those examples are sort of limited, but the anwers above are good. Here are some others:

1) A good guard game involves entangling the arms. This negates striking, passing, and grabbing/gouging. Standing (as when you're uncrossing the ankles by standing) and hitting the groin is one problem. Reaching around your leg and grabbing your balls from beneath is another one (even from the knees). Entangling the arms prevents these.

2) Just as with the guard, part of control is limiting the movement of the arms. Keeping the legs tight to their body will limit their access to your groin.

3) This is one of my favorite ones to counter :-) Here are some ways it can be done (let's say you're locking his right arm):
-Pinch his head with your left heel and buttcheek and crossface him with your cheek/thigh.
-Place your left heel on the near side of his face and crossface him with it.
-Grab his face with your left hand and fish-hook him or gouge his eyes.
-"The Basketball" I picked this up at the Matt Thornton NYC seminar--bend and straighten your leg quickly, dribbling his head on the ground like a basketball with the back of your knee.

4) Place your head-side arm under his neck and drive your shoulder into his face, crossfacing him. Not only does it prevent his bite, but it sets up your own position to bite without him countering.

5) He should not be able to bite you in the triangle choke--his own arm should be in the way (as should his chin). However, he CAN check your oil with his other hand. Immediately start punching his face, gouging his eyes, pulling his hair, and grabbing his groin if he goes for it. Not to skip the obvious, you can also choke him unconscious. Don't give him the finger back if he gets it in there :-)

On an important note, there are many more "foul tactics" attacks that are very, very difficult to get around. On the one hand, they are techniques just like any other: they are great for certain purposes, and they are not great for others. They have defenses, escapes, and counters. They can be put into combinations, and can be used in conjunction with other techniques.

Most importantly, you should train them from time to time, and know (1) where, when, and how they are used, as well as (2) how to counter them, just like any other effective technique.

~TT

Nice.

Good stuff here.

Interesting!