Dealing with the short, stocky wrestler

In my gym, I normally roll with a guy who has wrestled for 5 years. He's a two stripe white, and very short and stocky build, maybe around 160 lbs. He relies on his wrestling, really doesn't apply too much BJJ technique. He's also done some judo to a degree. He usually has an extremely hard time getting out of my guard. I'm about 6'1, 165 lbs. Anytime I throw up for an armbar or triangle, he easily just shucks it away most of the time and passes. He tends to muscle a ton. Any certain tips or strategies you use against guys like this? I try sweeping, but he's got that crazy wrestlers base, I'm able to get him sometimes. And he's got that crazy brute strength to bench press you from top side control to being on bottom side control too.

X guard sweeps, arm drags, take the back, etc. Phone Post

I like throwing the omoplata on wrestlers, i usually get the sweep and them on thier back if i can get the omoplata, its also a nice setup to armbar,triangle...i never use it omoplata to finish, but it opens some doors for me

Dont forget how much those three are there for each other! Phone Post

Sweep. Put him on his back.

JRockwell - X guard sweeps, arm drags, take the back, etc. Phone Post

exactly what I was going to say. Marcelos whole game is based on being able to use it on any size opponent. It works extremely well against wrestlers as well.

hcteks - In my gym, I normally roll with a guy who has wrestled for 5 years. He's a two stripe white, and very short and stocky build, maybe around 160 lbs. He relies on his wrestling, really doesn't apply too much BJJ technique. He's also done some judo to a degree. He usually has an extremely hard time getting out of my guard. I'm about 6'1, 165 lbs. Anytime I throw up for an armbar or triangle, he easily just shucks it away most of the time and passes. He tends to muscle a ton. Any certain tips or strategies you use against guys like this? I try sweeping, but he's got that crazy wrestlers base, I'm able to get him sometimes. And he's got that crazy brute strength to bench press you from top side control to being on bottom side control too.

I play a lot of open guard and when i feel the pass i'll try for a half guard attack. When dealing with people who have strong bases I like to really isolate one part of their body (ie omoplata their arms as said before). But i have found that deep half (if you protect your arm from the kimura)is a good option as you can isolate the leg. What i have noticed is that wrestlers athleticism allows them to scramble better than the average joe, so keep them engaged, and always attack for a sweep, eventually they will put their base in the wrong spot (just like anyone). Once you get control it's about maintaining pressure and really establishing the position (not tournament style 4 seconds, but like really settle the F'er down). Just keep working it and eventually you'll be able to deal with that issue, and you'll move onto the next body type/person that is giving you hell. Enjoy the journey.

Sorry, no can defend wrestle

Tyler Bishop - Sorry, no can defend wrestle

LOL....u funny.

Close gward + collar choke

IMO Jrock is right! You could throw some H-guard sweeps in there as well but Marcelo's stuff is right on.

How much you bench?  You should get stronger. 

MGinAction is your answer, for a free week use promo code "Joshjitsu311" Phone Post

hcteks, are u a white belt too?