Death with Dignity option/choice - Your opinion?

Simply put: What are you thoughts on "Death with Dignity" and are you for or against it?

We seem to be able to end the suffering and therefore the lives of our pets, but when it comes to humans, for some it is a game changer.

Here is an article of a young, terminally ill 29 year old woman with brain cancer, choosing the "Death with Dignity" option.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/cancer/why-newlywed-brittany-maynard-ending-her-life-three-weeks-n221731

What is your view on Death with Dignity? What would you do if in a similar situation?

Link from initial post:

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/cancer/why-newlywed-brittany-maynard-ending-her-life-three-weeks-n221731

If I'm faced with a terminal condition, I plan on wandering out into the desert like a blind Fremen and letting Shai-Hulud take me.

Land of the Free?  If a party hates life so bad, or is in such bad shape that to them death is a better answer who is anyone else to say " I know better then you."  Provided the party isn't a certifiable retard, why should anyone stand in the way of their choice?  I don't get it.  Let people die on their own terms if that's whats best for them.

There is a difference between living and merely existing Phone Post 3.0

Meohfumado - If I'm faced with a terminal condition, I plan on wandering out into the desert like a blind Fremen and letting Shai-Hulud take me.

Maud'Dib!

I see no issue with people wanting to make a well-informed decision to end their own lives to stop the suffering.  I have watched more than my fair share of family memebers rot away from one disease or another.  They may have chosen this route, and I don't think anyone in my family would have disagreed with their decision.  

All for it. Watched my uncle go through some shit and just wither away. About 2 months before he died I told my mom, after visiting one night, I hope he goes soon. Same happened recently to my great uncle.

My dad and I were talking about it when my great uncle recently went and he said if I get like that I am just going to take a bottle of sleeping pills and hope not to wake up. Pop isn't in the best health now either.

How my great uncle died was just sad, they basically let you waste away, little food, little anything cept pain meds. Was horrible to see.

I have no issue with assisted suicide for people that are terminally ill, in pain and consenting.

Ridgeback -
Invisible Lats Syndrome - I have no issue with assisted suicide for people that are terminally ill, in pain and consenting.

Why limit it to that?  If an 18 year old college student who is depressed wants to check out why should the government stop a doctor from helping him end his suffering?  

I dunno ridge.... that is a bit different in my mind... Phone Post 3.0

Nembutal should be an option and a right in all terminal diagnoses.

Ridgeback - 
Invisible Lats Syndrome - I have no issue with assisted suicide for people that are terminally ill, in pain and consenting.

Why limit it to that?  If an 18 year old college student who is depressed wants to check out why should the government stop a doctor from helping him end his suffering?  

I guess I'm just not a Libertarian.

If there is literally no chance for a person to recover from their illness, then I think it should be an option they should be allowed to have.  Why leave a messy scene, or if a family member helps, posisbly implicating them in a crime when a doctor (who until recent times did help people die who were sick), can give them something that would be completely quick and painless.

It would also save a ton of money on terminal healthcare.  If people make living wills and are in terminal coma's etc, or have a disease that could leave them hung up in pain for years, or late stages of dementia, and they want to die, then it is really just a responsible thing to do both morally and finacially at that point.

I am libertarian but I do have misgivings about allowing it for a treatable, non-terminal condition like depression. I'm also a touch leery about the business models that are sure to affix themselves to the issue. BUT I acknowledge those are both pragmatic arguments that don't trump freedom. With that said, we are a zillion miles away from any sort of libertarianism so I suspect an issue like this one that's low on the list of priorities will probably never realistically be on the political radar for the LP in any meaningful way. We can work on a solution for this after we stop projecting force across the planet.

FWIW, we do have a somewhat viable system for death with dignity in the US, it's just completely unspoken & off the books. They hook terminal patients up to morphine & with a bit of a wink tell the family to be very careful not to give them too much or they might die. It's creepy, unpleasant, & inconsistently applied, but it is out there.

Invisible Lats Syndrome - I have no issue with assisted suicide for people that are terminally ill, in pain and consenting.
This. There are certain (few) circumstances in which it should be allowed, particularly for those who are terminal and in a great deal of physical pain. Phone Post 3.0

Notice 4 of the 5 states that allow people to make their own decisions about how to end their life if terminally ill (Death with Dignity) are in the far West. Get as far the fuck away from Washington DC as you can if you want to be allowed to have certain choices in your life, IMO. I believe this woman actually moved to Oregon so that she could pursue her choice. Should be allowed in every state.

Why anyone other than one's self should be allowed to say whether or not that person should have to endure extended pain and suffering, especially when they are terminally ill is beyond me. I don't feel I should have the right to tell someone in Somewhere, NJ what choice they should make. And I sure as hell wouldn't give a shit what someone in Somewhere, CA says what I should or shouldn't do regarding a terminal, painful illness, if I ever were to suffer from something like this.

But it's amazing how many people come out screaming about what someone they don't know or what that person is feeling should do with their soon to end and painful life. I personally think all of these people should go fuck themselves. Stay the hell out of my life choices, and those I love and care for.

Looks like there might be some disagreement about whether or not it is appropriate for depressed or severely depressed people vs. those with terminal illness.

I am not in favor of the government actively preventing people from killing themselves. I also don't think the government should ever provide funding or assistance to someone who wants to end their own life.

With that said, this kind of thing is a very personal choice between the person going through it and their God, if they have one. My opinion is that the greatest "dignity" is to gut it out and die naturally with as much strength and courage as one can handle. By that, I mean that those are the people I admire most and who I feel have the greatest fortitude and strength of character, but that is not a knock on anyone who wants or needs to end it themselves at their discretion. I would want to try to resist doing that, but I understand where they are coming from and why.

My mom is dying of inoperable Grade IV Glioblastoma. Brain cancer - invariably fatal.

She was a proud, independent fit woman with a very active social life.

Her health and dignity have been systematically peeled away by the radiation, chemotherapy and the golfball sized tumor eating her brain alive.

There will come a point sooner than later, if she makes the choice, that would be a rational decision to end her life and exit the stage with some semblance of dignity and grace.

The antichoice crowd in this debate will change their tune very quickly when they are faced with situations like this one, I assure you.

Kind of like the antichoice people on the abortion issue when their daughter gets raped and impregnated by an autistic homeless black man. "The Scales Drop from Their Eyes..."

Horrible decision to make

I would rather die before I totally fell apart only if the process of her dying is horrible to both her and her family...

I would rather my family's last memories are decent ones and not horrible ones...

Either way, I would research every possible cure first...