December Newsletter

I'm so excited this morning, two wonderful things happened yesterday. The first thing: the day before I spent all day working on the new newsletter for ya'll, after I had John go over it and it was all perfect and ready to be sent out... I'm sure you can guess... an error window came up and poof the letter was lost. I tried everything to find it, but being the less than perfect person I can be, I hadn't saved it! It was gone. Yesterday, after the computer had already been shutdown, and I had given up... I pulled up Word, and there it was, "document recovered"! That has never happened before. So now I can share that letter with you.

The second thing: We received an email from Nick in OZ. He begged the immigration department for an extension, and they gave him/us an extra 2 weeks! This means that those of you who were planning on sending in a pledge card, and haven't had a chance, can. Another thing this means is that our deadline will be AFTER John's art show this weekend! We are praying that all his art will sell. We are even offering payment plans that will be in the form of pledges. This is so cool. I know the timing with Christmas and all is hard, but we are encouraged to have 2 more weeks for John to work, to sell lots of art (I have a Mary if anyone is interested), and to get the pledge cards into CMA.

Nick also said that he believes that even if we don't have all of our support pledged, we can show them what we have so far, and our plan to get up to full support in the next few months, they might accept that. I find it all very encouraging. Not having to reapply will save us lots of time and the $250 application fee (not to mention some sainity).

A Walk Through The Neighborhood

By Raquel

The girls and I were walking around the neighborhood yesterday and it hit us how much this area has changed. Where there was once an empty lot, there is now a huge complex, which will include a Starbucks J. Where there was once a Bank, then a branch of Cal Poly Pomona, there is now a charter school... the school of Arts & Enterprise. Where there was once The Cuttress gallery (the glue of the area) there is now an empty space. Where there was The Latin American Museum (the place where I used to salsa) another empty space (the school uses it from time to time). A record shop turned into a clothing store into another record shop into another clothing and nick knack store.... A Chinese restaurant is now a Mexican food restaurant. A neighborhood grill is now another Mexican food restaurant. I could go on and on. We stood on the corner and remembered being on a prayer walk 5 years ago and praying that we would get in the loft we now live in. Yesterday we stood there again, and were praying about Australia.

The same changes that have taken place in the area have also taken place in our church. I guess the best way to describe it is "growing up". We have had 3 marriages (with more soon), job offers in other states, someone joining the army, people going away to college, businesses that have closed down and people who have moved on. It seems to be the natural progression of life. We even have a baby (no, not mine!) on the way. There are very few of us left in down town, 4 to be exact. There aren't many of us left in the Breakfast Club. I used to think that I would go to OZ and then everything back here would change; now I see that the opposite is true. Everything here is changing. I used to look for the people who would take over the Breakfast Club; never once thinking it might live out its life span. As all of us prepare to go to our new ministries the one thing we know for sure, is like our neighborhood, in the last 5 years, we have changed allot.

Wednesday is our first deadline. We had a great garage sale over the weekend where we got rid of LOTS of our stuff, and so many generous people gave us things to sell. The Kaaks headed this up, and we are so grateful to them. We have also received donations from other generous people. We can't thank you enough. With all of our efforts, I still don't think we will make this deadline. We still need a lot more pledges, and I know how hard it is for people to make this decision, especially at this time of year, this quickly. We still have a couple of days if you want to mail them out today. We will continue to raise our support after this date. Even though we don't think we will be able to meet this deadline we are as sure as ever that we belong in Australia working with Forge, and the poor in Footscray. We will need to reapply for our visa and expect this to push back our departure date. When we have the funds raised will we reapply and that part of the visa will go through. We are asking each of you to consider giving a monthly pledge of $10, $25, or $50. EVERY donation makes a difference.

You can email your pledges to Angela at angelabokkes@cmaresources.org

You can also make donations and pledges using your credit or bankcard through Angela

A story of hope from Pomona

By john

My friend had it rough. Growing up in the ghetto of South Pomona is not fun. His older brothers had a different father, and his father left when he was just a boy. His street was over run with gangs, and drugs. Hopelessness was a neighborhood trait.

His brother was killed in a drug deal gone badly. Another brother wound up in prison for a long stretch. His mom struggled to keep the family together, and fed. And like so many others, he succumbed to the life of the streets. He ran with the gangs, he sold drugs, he used drugs. Violence was a way of life.

As if this wasn't enough, he struggled with serious clinical depression. He was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. It was in the middle of all this I met him. He seemed still a gentle soul somehow, quiet, and unassuming. He walked into the jiu jitsu studio I had started, and signed up for lessons.

Eventually he became a close friend, I began to tell him about Jesus and the hope to be found through Him. He began to read his bible a bit, and ask me questions. He stopped selling drugs. He got a good job, and went to school to become a certified nurses assistant. He also attempted suicide, and was arrested for public drunkenness, and assault.

The one thing that stayed consistent in his life was our family. We loved him in his dark times, and celebrated with him in his victories. He started attending The Breakfast Club, the house church we pastor in Pomona. And I meet with him weekly to read the bible, and confess our sins to one another. He still deals with his illness, and feelings of insecurity, but he is growing. He still is pulled by the neighborhood, but with all of the success he has enjoyed, it is has become easier to stay the course.

I have been asked by some why a jiu jitsu studio? Why an art studio? Well my friend is the reason. I never would have met my friend at church, nor would I have met him at any social functions I enjoy. I certainly wouldn't have met him at work. But my love for this martial art, has allowed me to become a part of his and many others lives for many years. Gangsters may not want to come to church with us, drug addicts may not want to come to bible study, and most of the atheists I know don't want to have accountability groups with me. But, they will come to jiu jitsu class. They will come and work in a community arts studio. They will meet you on a neutral territory. And it is on this common ground you can connect deeply. It is my hope that if they hang around with me long enough, they might bump into my friend Jesus.

We are going to Australia to do the same thing, find bridges to our community. We are also going to help others learn to do the same, please pray about helping us reach those, who like my friend, live in an unfriendly world and need a reason to hope, to love, and to truly live.

Tax-deductible donations to John and Raquel Jensen's ministry can be sent to:

Team Revolution

Church Multiplication Associates

1965 E. 21st Street, Signal Hill

, California 90755

Phone:1-877-732-3593

Toll Free(562) 961-1982 FAX

Please make checks payable to: Team Revolution

ØI would like to make a monthly pledge of: _________

ØI would like to make a one-time gift of: _________

ØI would like to receive special prayer newsletters ____Yes

Name___________________________________

Address_________________________________

Date of Donation__________________________

thanks guys, and girls

john

"I have been asked by some why a jiu jitsu studio? Why an art studio? Well my friend is the reason. I never would have met my friend at church, nor would I have met him at any social functions I enjoy. I certainly wouldn't have met him at work. But my love for this martial art, has allowed me to become a part of his and many others lives for many years. Gangsters may not want to come to church with us, drug addicts may not want to come to bible study, and most of the atheists I know don't want to have accountability groups with me. But, they will come to jiu jitsu class. They will come and work in a community arts studio. They will meet you on a neutral territory. And it is on this common ground you can connect deeply. It is my hope that if they hang around with me long enough, they might bump into my friend Jesus. "

John, you are a genius!

Keep doing your great job!

God bless you. :-)

ttt

You got it. I'll get the postage one day, I promise.

the rev

ttt

hey rev, I promised you some money when I get my bonus, and I just wanted to let you know that I haven't gotten it yet, that's why I haven't given you anything. I haven't forgotten about it

thanks bro

the rev

ttt

ttt

ttt