Declassified footage of post-accident Chernobyl

3 Likes

Ttt

3.6 roentgen, not good, not terrible.

3 Likes

It's shocking that their solution was to build a giant tent around this mess. Not saying this is wrong, just that the world simply does not have an answer for this nightmare still. Scary

1 Like

Later

For later

I went into a binge on this stuff after the hbo show. Most of that had been around forever. 

Amazing how fucking scary that shit is. 

Nothing more scary than that shit! Can't see it but it's there and it's killing your ass at different rates depending on proximity!

Good ol Communism on display right there! So much BS beauracracy nobody was willing to tell the truth and the few that did well...it was too late! 

kungfugrip -

It's shocking that their solution was to build a giant tent around this mess. Not saying this is wrong, just that the world simply does not have an answer for this nightmare still. Scary

What about Fukishima?

Underground frozen ice wall to stop contaminated ground water from reaching the ocean.

Storing contaminated water from cooling this melt down mess in tanks until you run out of tanks and space and then just dumping it in the ocean.

These nuclear power plants are a serious liability if something goes wrong and when it does the operator does  not have the resources or finances to clean up so it falls on the national government.

There are many more of these aging GE Mark II reactors all over the US and I guess a big potential for damage if and when they fail.

1 Like

What will stop something like Chernobyl from happening in China? The CCP can not be wrong which was a big problem in Russia with communism. Seems like history is doomed to repeat itself there. China has 46 Nuclear reactors.

AlexinTO -
kungfugrip -

What about Fukishima?

Underground frozen ice wall to stop contaminated ground water from reaching the ocean.

Storing contaminated water from cooling this melt down mess in tanks until you run out of tanks and space and then just dumping it in the ocean.

These nuclear power plants are a serious liability if something goes wrong and when it does the operator does  not have the resources or finances to clean up so it falls on the national government.

There are many more of these aging GE Mark II reactors all over the US and I guess a big potential for damage if and when they fail.

Good information. Thx for the education

AlexinTO -
kungfugrip -

What about Fukishima?

And if a radical group wants to really fuck shit up on the quick they go for them. 

Very easy target to fuck shit up quickly 

The upside, nature has taken over and wildlife is (relatively speaking) thriving without people:

One of the weirdest and most surreal places I've ever visited.

kevsh - 

The upside, nature has taken over and wildlife is (relatively speaking) thriving without people:

How can the animals survive radiation?

In for later

"It's shocking that their solution was to build a giant tent around this mess. Not saying this is wrong, just that the world simply does not have an answer for this nightmare still. Scary"

Shocking? GTFO. Containment has been a fundamental of design from the beginning. It's the only logical solution to the problem. What do you think should happen?

Scary my ass.

"There are many more of these aging GE Mark II reactors all over the US and I guess a big potential for damage if and when they fail."

Meanwhile, 4 orders of magnitude more people die per watt from fossil fuels than from nuclear. Even even hydro & solar are significantly more dangerous. Stop thinking like idiot folk singers from the '60s.

1 Like

BarkLikeADog - "There are many more of these aging GE Mark II reactors all over the US and I guess a big potential for damage if and when they fail."

Meanwhile, 4 orders of magnitude more people die per watt from fossil fuels than from nuclear. Even even hydro & solar are significantly more dangerous. Stop thinking like idiot folk singers from the '60s.

To be honest I dont rwally have an opinion as to whether or not nuclear is viable, safe and worthwhile economically.

I have heard strong arguements on both sides.

My only point was that when these things fail the costs and impact are so catastrophic that the national government has to intervene.

Is enough being done to ensure that these reactors are kept safe and up to date?