Deer hunting question

I'm watching a lot of "Lone Star Law", it's the basic "Cops" format with Texas Game Wardens.

They get calls every once in awhile from someone saying that they think they might have shot an illegal deer.

Not out-of-season, the deer's too small, or the antlers are too small, etc.

Why are they self-reporting?

How would they get caught?

Or is that just hunting etiquette?

Mexican deer that came over the border illegally.

It’s the right thing to do. And it’s a small fine compared to the fine of getting caught trying to cover it up...  I’d say it’s maybe 50/50 on guys who report themselves vs. just cutting it up and hiding the carcass....  in my state anyway, which isn’t Texas 

Folks have mixed emotions about this. In Georgia, a guy boating on a river found 2 bucks floating that had locked antlers, fell in, and drowned. The boater retrieved them, drove to a landing and called a game warden.

When the warden arrived, he immediately presented the boater with a citation for illegally taken deer.

jscorbett -

Folks have mixed emotions about this. In Georgia, a guy beating on a river found 2 bucks floating that had locked antlers, fell in, and drowned. A boater retrieved them, drove to a landing and called a game warden.

When the warden arrived, he immediately presented the boater with a citation for illegally taken deer.

Total dick move of the warden.

1 Like
jscorbett -

Folks have mixed emotions about this. In Georgia, a guy beating on a river found 2 bucks floating that had locked antlers, fell in, and drowned. A boater retrieved them, drove to a landing and called a game warden.

link to that bullshit story?

Its an ethic. Same as punching your tag if you lose a wounded animal.

Revenants -
jscorbett -

I looked and couldn't find it. The story was carried in the Georgia Outdoor News magazine. That's where I read it.

Yeah, if you have a doe tag (in ny) but shoot a button buck by accident you’re supposed to call the game warden 

jscorbett -
Revenants -
jscorbett -

I looked and couldn't find it. The story was carried in the Georgia Outdoor News magazine. That's where I read it.

If real no way that stood in court. No way that officer didn't keep finding dead fish in his locker either.

jscorbett -

Folks have mixed emotions about this. In Georgia, a guy boating on a river found 2 bucks floating that had locked antlers, fell in, and drowned. The boater retrieved them, drove to a landing and called a game warden.

Calling BS on that

phydeau - Mexican deer that came over the border illegally.

First post nails it lmao 

Slydawg -
jscorbett -

Total dick move of the warden.

Brownwood TX had an asshat game warden like that.  The pig ducker finally retired but no one knew why he was so horrible to everyone

octo_dad -
phydeau - Mexican deer that came over the border illegally.

First post nails it lmao 

I read the story. Have no reason to lie about what I read. Have a good day

Mountain Medic -
jscorbett -
Revenants -
jscorbett -

If real no way that stood in court. No way that officer didn't keep finding dead fish in his locker either.

I would hope it wouldnt stand.

Here's a similar one IMO

,https://www.gon.com/hunting/worth-county-204-inch-bow-buck

jscorbett - 

,https://www.gon.com/hunting/worth-county-204-inch-bow-buck

lol @ people tryingto call you out, there's always a few who call bullshit on absolutely anything.  Similar thing happened here with a kid in some hunt club who found two bucks locked together,  when they called the warden to let him know and see what they should do, he told them if he came out he was writing a ticket.  For what i don't know. I guess exceeding the one deer a day limit, but come on man, use some common sense.

A local taxidermist ended up mounting them for the kid, still locked together. No charge to the kid and his dad.

1 Like

The game wardens where i am have more clout then the local sheriff or staties. They are the only department in my area that have carta blanche as far as being able to give you a ticket pretty much anywhere......and they do. 

Technically speaking if you shoot an animal mistakenly, you just violated the defacto numero uno law of hunting.  Always make sure you are absolutely positively identified the animal before taking a shot. Those people who shoot a button buck or a doe out of season or with out a tag when they "thought" they had one. Need to be fined, ticketed, etc deservingly so. 

Hell i know of 2 guys who lost their boats in the last 3 years catching rock fish out of season or where they were not supposed to be fishing. Thats a big no-no and people like that ruin it not only for others but for future generations. 

This past hunting season i heard of a guy who shot a buck without a tag and out of season. This dumb ass thought he could get away with it but decided to try to cover his tracks. He and a few buddies literally strung the deer up between two poles and ran it over with a pos farm truck. Then reported it to the local game warden. Game warden comes out and immedietly realizes what they tried to do. Arrests all 4 guys, impounded not only the pos farm truck but two other trucks that were on site and confiscated several fire arms. They fined each guy $2,000 and revoked all their hunting licenses indefinately. I think they even fined the family who owned the farm truck. 

It only takes one asshat to ruin it for everyone.