Defenders of the Earth is back!

So I recently hooked up with a comic company and I'm allowed to pitch ideas so I thought I'd love to do Defenders of the Earth but looking into it Dynamite bloody comics beat me to it and it looks awesome!

Kings Watch features Flash Gordon,the Phantom,Lothar and Mandrake the magician the artwork looks beautiful too,i cant wait to pick it up.

Anyone else love this cartoon like I did?

Also doesnt look like the annoying kids are in it either-bonus Phone Post 3.0

Enemies crumble in fear and confusion

Hell yeah. Loved that cartoon and concept. They should do it.....

Leigh - 

Lol, I still remember the theme song.

"Master of magic, spells and illusions"

Didn't they have some brats, too? Phone Post

Yeah Flash had a son, Phantom a daughter which caused controversy because the heir of the Phantom always became Kit Walker by name and eventually the Phantom himself when old enough so it tried to push the feminism angle a little.

Lothar had a kid too, on the action figure packets Lothar was described as a Caribbean Ninja ha ha, I never got that vibe from him in the cartoon.

John Romita Snr had a hand in it all and Stan Lee wrote the theme song.

It's in safe hands with Dynamite comics. I'll have to think of something else to ruin ha ha

A well done Thundarr or Herculoids comic would rock balls Phone Post

RedDragonUK - 
Leigh - 

Lol, I still remember the theme song.

"Master of magic, spells and illusions"

Didn't they have some brats, too? Phone Post

Yeah Flash had a son, Phantom a daughter which caused controversy because the heir of the Phantom always became Kit Walker by name and eventually the Phantom himself when old enough so it tried to push the feminism angle a little.

Lothar had a kid too, on the action figure packets Lothar was described as a Caribbean Ninja ha ha, I never got that vibe from him in the cartoon.

John Romita Snr had a hand in it all and Stan Lee wrote the theme song.

It's in safe hands with Dynamite comics. I'll have to think of something else to ruin ha ha

I remember that now!

I remember we had the action figures.

Funny this has come up, Just found my old action figures in my dads attic. Mandrake, flash and Phantom.

The Elastic Assassin - 

The reason Defenders could be done was that all the characters were domain free as they were very old. It's why you see a lot of Sherlock Holmes comics from different companies and It's a tactic Dynamite use by using older creations with a slight fan base.

Erik Larsen did it recently with his Claw bad guy.

I always wanted the Skull copter to go with my Phantom action figure ha ha.

That brings back memories. Watching those shows was great as a kid. Dino riders, he man, bravestarr and the like. The guy that sings the defenders of the earth intro certainly belts the song out with enthusiasm and aggression doesn't he. Classic 80s cartoons are awesome. Phone Post

Well give me a list of characters that are in the free domain and i will give you some sweet ideas Phone Post

Ok,

Six gun gorilla, golden arrow and the jack of spades....Go!!!! Phone Post

You could probably throw Enchanted Dagger in there too Phone Post

http://free-universe.myartsonline.com/literature.html

Thats not all of them I don't think. They also like doing biography stuff so I may talk to some people and see if I can do Lee Murray's story but im pretty sure Hollywood has it. Phone Post 3.0

Add the Presto Kid and you have a wild west defenders story....boom!! Phone Post

RedDragonUK - http://free-universe.myartsonline.com/literature.html

Thats not all of them I don't think. They also like doing biography stuff so I may talk to some people and see if I can do Lee Murray's story but im pretty sure Hollywood has it. Phone Post 3.0

Cool site.

Interesting that many of the characters listed were real people.

RedDragonUK - 
The Elastic Assassin - 

The reason Defenders could be done was that all the characters were domain free as they were very old. It's why you see a lot of Sherlock Holmes comics from different companies and It's a tactic Dynamite use by using older creations with a slight fan base.

I don't think the characters are in the public domain. I think Kings Syndicate still maintains the rights and still publishes comic strips and licenses them from time to time.

Lee Falk the creator of Phantom and Mandrake wrote the strip for something like 60+ years, which is amazing to me.

Love the concept, have the action figures and a collection of all the episodes

grafzep -
RedDragonUK - 
The Elastic Assassin - 

I don't think the characters are in the public domain. I think Kings Syndicate still maintains the rights and still publishes comic strips and licenses them from time to time.

Lee Falk the creator of Phantom and Mandrake wrote the strip for something like 60+ years, which is amazing to me.

Love the concept, have the action figures and a collection of all the episodes
You might be right, I think the name Defenders of the Earth is,hence Dynamite changing it to kings watch but im not so sure about the characters.

Either way I cant touch them ha ha. I'm going to see what this company throws me after I finish this comic for them and may come back to the domain thing in future. Phone Post 3.0