Defending footsweeps

This is copied from the wrestling forum, because obviously there are going to be more footsweep experts here than on the wrestling forum:

Note that I'm mostly talking about submission wrestling, although I'm interested about gi applications as well.

"If you've got a dominant tie up in wrestling, say a single underhook and a wrist tie, with your forehead in your opponent's neck, it's next to impossible for your opponent to take you down with a leg attack, i.e. single or double leg.

However, having such a dominant tie up doesn't prevent your opponent from doing a footsweep or a throw on you. I've found this out the hard way, because I've been wrestling against some judo guys that have been visiting my submission wrestling classes lately.

So how can I minimize the risk of getting footswept or thrown by a judo throw (in no-gi submission wrestling)?"

I have a feeling that the answer to this question is a simple, but an interesting one: I'm guessing that there is no such grip that you can take that blocks all footsweeps and if it exists, it's going to be very hard to get against a much better judoka, even without the gi. Perhaps that's part the magic of judo and what the judokas used many decades ago to defeat wrestlers, i.e. the fact that the wrestlers didn't have an answer to the footsweeps of judo, along with how do wrestle in a jacket?

This is pretty much related to my recent ACL injury due to a kosoto-gari (see my "How to prevent another ACL tear?" thread on this forum).

I'd like to compete again in submission wrestling, well, maybe, after my knee heals, but I'm starting to think that, because of my knee history, I either have to change my takedown strategy to use just two moves, i.e. double leg from a distance and pulling guard - or just completely stop competing and only train (mostly newaza, then).

Any comments would be appreciated.

I'm not a judo expert or foot sweep expert, but I do, do both and have worked them into my no-gi game, so I have some thoughts.

I like a single underhook grip as well. though I take a grip on their neck instead of the wrist a lot of times. I'll switch down to the arm if I'm going to do a big forward throw so I get the rotation though.

My opinion is to just get in there and work with people who do those moves, maybe try to learn them yourself. It's not an easy answer to apply immediately, but the more experience at going against them you have, the better you'll be able to defend them.

Also a counter attack is a good option. If you just try to defend, then it can be hard to stop it a lot of times. For something like a kosoto as you mentioned, I would try to keep it from being a strong attempt and then turn in and do an uchi-mata to counter, but uchi-mata is my favorite throw also. Another counter might to ouchi-gari, since an inside reap is usually stronger than an outside reap. If you're not proficient with something that can counter it, then see my previous paragraph about learning about it. It's my opinion that the best way to defend something isn't to just learn a defense, but to learn the attack and it's workings, and the hows and whys of it. That'll lead to being able to predict it better, rather than just responding to it.

Just some of my ranting thoughts. Hope that helps at all.

Jonpall,
Freestylejj made some good points.

There are some very experienced guys on here with some solutions to this, with more experience than my 14 years of Judo........however.....

Footsweeps are my best throws and I have used them sucessfully in sub wrestling, bjj, and, of course, Judo.

I do know this:
Footsweeps are about movement, and timing. Technically, you can be outgripped (gi or no-gi) and still pull off a footsweep because your opponent has to put his feet somewhere.

The only way to beat footsweeps, and there are many, is to be aware that they can only come from two places. And his near foot is usually the most dangerous.

So.....Always try to be in a balanced enough position to be able to quickly switch your weight off the attacked foot. You then have a better chance of clearing your foot from the attack, and placing it quickly back on the mat (for obvious balance).

Also, learn how to anticipate a ashy attack, and dig in. Ie; put alot of weight on the attacked foot while having it planted on the mat.

Remember, the most dangerous times to be footswept is while you are stepping. Imagine, while you are walking....just that split second before your foot touches the ground.

As you now know, footsweeps can come in very quick combos as well.

It is my fav tech, because it is the only way I can sweep a women off her feet.

Stupid lack of charisma,
Glenn

forward throws... never put your weight beyong your toes.. in other words, the way wretlers tend to bend over is really helpful to a judo guy. its fine to squat down/fight low/etc, but dont squat down and bend over. you cant stop your momentum from going forward when your upper body is so far beyond yout feet.

footsweeps... dont put all your weight on the lead leg. dont allow the other guy to create the movement pattern. you create it and make him follow. its a lot harder to footsweep when you are being forced to follow. snap the head and upper body a lot-- its hard for people to footsweep with power when they cant bring their hips forward.

Thanks all for good input.

You need to learn the movement patterns..footsweeps are usually set up by getting you to step in a particular way, ie exploiting a reaction. And be careful how you distribute your weight.

Find a guy or guys who is good at footsweeps and does them a lot.

Train with him a lot. Take a lot of falls. Eventually you won't be so easy to footsweep.

As to getting thrown otherwise, get better at Judo.

All the other advice was right on as well, particularly Josh's.

Ben