Deion Branch (how screwed am I?)

Any chance he plays this week? My WR back-ups are Mark Clayton, Michael Clayton, and Brandon Lloyd. God I hate hold outs.

No way. He's out until week 10. And some team will show him the money in the offseason. Pats should suspend him 4 games a la TO.

Week 10? Where did you hear that?

thats when he has to be back to get paid for the season or something i believe

What Pretjah said.

The Pats screwed him on this one. I usually side with the team on issues like this, but they gave him the shaft.

How did they give him the shaft exactly? By not trading him for a 2nd rounder to a division rival? Come on.

"How did they give him the shaft exactly? By not trading him for a 2nd rounder to a division rival?"

They offered him a contract that he felt was not good enought. They then said his agent could work out a trade to test the market and if he got a contract with what he was looking for they would trade him. A 2nd rounder is actually VERY good in the NFL for a player of his caliber. The Pats did not think he would get a contract/trade at all. Then when he did, they balked.

wait a player they are offering 5 million a year for 6 years is equal to a second rounder????

not even close!

The patriots wanted TWO first round picks for him, which is ridiculous and I don't think they ever had any intention of trading him.

"wait a player they are offering 5 million a year for 6 years is equal to a second rounder????"

Well, part of his point was that he was underpaid, and the offers made by other teams seem to support that....

"The patriots wanted TWO first round picks for him, which is ridiculous and I don't think they ever had any intention of trading him."

"A 2nd rounder is actually VERY good in the NFL for a player of his caliber."

Keyshawn was traded for 2 1st rounders. It happens. Also, it's called negotiation, they would've negotiated to a #1 and a #4 or something. A horribly-injured Javon Walker went for a #2, and Branch is better than that.

"They then said his agent could work out a trade to test the market and if he got a contract with what he was looking for they would trade him"

The Pats said Branch could go look, not that they were obligated to trade him under any circumstances. It has to be a good deal for the Pats too. They did not think a second rounder for Branch to a division rival was not a good trade. Better to hope he gets an outrageous contract from the Lions or something.

OK OK OK, look at it this way...

Branch wants a contract that pays him like he is among the elite receivers in the NFL...he has not had the kind of numbers that warrant that kind of contract. So N.E. says, go out there and see what you can get, but remember, you signed a contract with us, AND, we offered you a bigger contract to avoid all of this.... he chose a different path, so they say...well we spent all this time and money on you, we want to be compensated (paid) for our roll in this.

He finished 21st in the league last year, and has never scored more than 5 TD's in a season (last year).... I say go get your money, but I think he over played his hand and it backfired on him.

ChefPaul is correct.

"Keyshawn was traded for 2 1st rounders. It happens. Also, it's called negotiation, they would've negotiated to a #1 and a #4 or something. A horribly-injured Javon Walker went for a #2, and Branch is better than that. "

The Steelers got Bettis for a 2 and a 5. I don't think Branch would be worth more than Bettis was to the Steelers to any team. Can't explain the Keyshawn deal. Bad decision by the team that gave up two 1st rounders.

"The Steelers got Bettis for a 2 and a 5."

At the time, Bettis had averaged 3.x YPC for 2 years and was considered washed up. Bettis also wasn't traded to a division rival. Also (and this is the big thing) both teams WANTED to make that trade, whereas NE doesn't want to make a trade for a #2.

He's been traded.

Yup. Probably a good trade for both teams, given the circumstances.

Pats are a much better team with him than without him. It's a shame.

This trade is not what the seahawks needed. They require help on the o-line and at tight end. They already have three solid receivers and D.J. Hacket is pretty good as well.

"Pats are a much better team with him than without him. It's a shame."

No question about that. If there was a mistake here, it was the Pats saying "go seek a trade".

So the question becomes if Branch for 6 weeks and a possible playoff run is worth a 1st rounder. Except you make that call in week 1, not week 9. Tough call.