Del Toro to direct "The Hobbit"

AP- DEL TORO TO DIRECT THE HOBBIT

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Guillermo del Toro is directing "The Hobbit" and its sequel, New Line Cinema announced Thursday. The 43-year-old filmmaker will move to New Zealand for four years to make the films back-to-back with executive producer Peter Jackson.

Del Toro wrote and directed "Pan's Labyrinth," which earned six Oscar nominations in 2006 and won three awards. He is also the director of the upcoming sequel "Hellboy II: The Golden Army," whose monsters bear the unmistakeable surreal vision of the Mexican-born filmmaker.

"I am indeed blessed to become a part of the filmmaking community that Peter, Fran and their extraordinary team of collaborators have created in New Zealand," del Toro said in a statement. "Contributing to the 'Lord of the Rings' legacy is an absolute dream come true."

Jackson and Walsh called del Toro "a cinematic magician who has never lost his childlike sense of wonder."

"We have long admired Guillermo's work and cannot think of a more inspired filmmaker to take the journey back to Middle-Earth," they said in a statement.

Jackson co-wrote, co-produced and directed the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, which won 17 Oscar and 30 nominations.

will the people's knee, gorilla shark, and daredevil73 be cast as dwarves?

What's weird is that they AREN'T splitting it into two movies.

The first is going to be The Hobbit, and the second is going to be something new linking Hobbit to LotR.

Hun?

They are making the Hobbit... and then return of the hobbit??

Maybe it'll be about the youthful hijinks of Lil' Frodo 'n' Friends.

All I know is they better hurry up because Ian McKellan is over 80 and no one should replace him.

ian mckellan isnt even 70 yet

Supposedly there will be 2 movies
1- The Hobbit - blockbuster 3 hr movie like LOTR done with a proper level of quality
2 - a made up middle Earth story - Tolkien had written a number of stories in the middle Earth universe or they can make up something new...

i hope the hobbit 2 doesn't end up like that highlander 2 movie that people claim exists.

I can't wait to see the battle of five armies.

Excellent choice of directors IMO, short of Jackson doing it himself

I think his style is going to mesh well with how dark The Hobbit was, I'm really excited about this now

I have no idea WTF the 2nd movie will be but I'm not going to complain

Might be better than Jackson. I was a big fan of Peter's up to LotR, and loved those movies, but the more I see them the more lame bits I notice. I used to loathe Del Toro -- I fell asleep at the first three movies of his I ever saw -- but loved Hellboy and Pan's. Should be interesting.