Dell 8300 vs Dell XPS...

I was considering buying one of these and was just wondering is there really any difference between them.  I know the XPS is made for gaming and has bigger in size and has that whole "look" but the 8300 is cheaper and seems to be the same thing depending on how I customize...

Sure I could try to look up building one on my own but I want a PC now and don't feel like doing a lot of research and going through the work. 

Any suggestions from the IT forum? 

I want a decent gaming machine and some power.  Of course cost is important b/c I'm not looking to blow like $3000 on a computer...

XPS: integrated Gigabit Ethernet, up to P4 EE 3.4 GHz, 10k RPM SATA HD's available,

8300: 10/100 Ethernet, up to P4 3.4 Ghz, 7200 RPM HDs only

I think those are the only differences.

For a normal person, there is really no reason to go beyond the Dimension 4600. The 4600 only has slightly fewer hard drive and video card configurations and tops out at 2 GB RAM instead of 4 GB. If you are set on Dell, it is much better to get a 4600 and add on to it, rather than buying a base model XPS or 8300 (for the same price) that have a bunch of features that you're never going to use. You can still build a smoking 4600 system (1 GB PC3200 RAM, SATA HDs, Radeon 9800 Pro, etc.) and it would cost a hell of a lot less.

Thanks, I will look into that...