Dempsey's workout

Does anyone here know what Jack Dempseys workout was? For example what kind of strenth work he did,or how far he ran etc.

Anyone???

as you can see by the number of views, everyone wants to know but no one does.

Thanx martin I thought you would know. Do you know if he did any pushups?

i read something similar about dempsey's pull up program in an issue of muscle media last yr. in fact i think the Evil Russian, aka Pavel Tatsouline, did that article. Maybe he might know a lil more about dempsey's workout. in that issue of muscle media it also gives a pushup workout that compares pushups to walking. In other words how we walk during the day, we work our legs in a way. if pushups were done in the same manner, say every 45min do 10 or 15 reps, then there would be considerable increases in strength and stamina.

i read something similar about dempsey's pull up program in an issue of muscle media last yr... in that issue of muscle media it also gives a pushup workout that compares pushups to walking.

I'd like to read those two articles. I'm going to begin searching for them right now. If I find either one, I'll post a link. If someone else beats me to it, I'd appreciate it if they'd post the link. Thanks.

martinburke - yeah, I think I have the photo you're talking about. It was before the fight with Willard. I think he's wearing a black vest in it with the wraps on???

Stratakos,

I bought that issue back last year, it was the july/august 2001 issue. I would type in the workouts into a text/word file, but that would take some time. But I'll try to see if I can do it. Got no scanner so cannot even scan the pics either.

What are sternum pull-ups?

Thanks for the info, Angle45.

Although I'd love to have those articles, I'd rather you didn't go to all the trouble of transcribing them.

If you could perhaps photocopy them, though, and mail them to me, I'd be happy to cover the cost of copying and postage. I could then scan them and provide copies to whomever else here might want them. If that sounds good to you, PM me and I'll give you my mailing address.

If not, don't worry about it. If all else fails, I can try to buy a copy of that back-issue from MM. Thanks.

'Sup, Martin. I just got back from 11 days in Alaska, but before that he was treating me great. With school starting in a couple of weeks, I probably won't be fighting for awhile (at least until December when I return to Alaska), but I'm hoping to do a bit of recruiting for Coach James while I do some work in one of the public schools in the next couple of months.

Thanx for all the info guys. If you find any more keep posting. This should be archived.

Has ne one read Kid Blackie?? ITs about Jack's colorado days, is it any good??

Read "The Manassa Mauler". I can't remember the authors name and the title may be "Jack Dempsey: The Manassa Mauler". There is a ton of info on his training there. He used to use his work as training. Shoveling, chopping, etc. His brother trained him a while too. He had him chew a gum-like tree sap to toughen his jaw and sleep with steaks on his face to toughen the skin against cuts. I saw video of him working out before where he was mixing in elbows and headbutts on a heavy bag like a thai-fighter! It was pretty impressive the skill and fluidity he had with the elbows! I also read where he built a ring with a 3' tall roof on it so he could force himself to crouch for long periods of time. That was one of his big weapons in the ring, his "new" unorthodox style of crouching when everyone else was standing tall. He also is reported to have walked into saloons and holler "I can lick any man in the place!" Which of course led to bareknuckle matches for cash.

"What are sternum pull-ups?"

Sternum pullups are a pullup (hands facing away grip) in which instead of pulling your chin above a bar, you pull yourself up to the point in which your sternum touches the bar. However, you are not actually pulling "up" as much as you are moving your body out. If you were to look at somebody performing them from the side, a person's body who was performing pullups would move vertically. A person's body wo was performing sternum pullups would move almost at a 45 degree angle. It almost looks like a bodyweight version of a row . . .

Hope that made *a little* sense - I'll try and find some pictures.

Wiggy

Read "The Manassa Mauler". I can't remember the authors name and the title may be "Jack Dempsey: The Manassa Mauler". There is a ton of info on his training there.

Thanks for that reference. I found a used copy on Ebay for $2.75.

Incidentally, for anyone who might be interested, the title is indeed Jack Dempsey: The Manassa Mauler, and it's written by Randy Roberts.

"He also is reported to have walked into saloons and holler "I can lick any man in the place!" "

If I'm not mistaken, it was John L. Sullivan who said that, not Jack Dempsey.

"He also is reported to have walked into saloons and holler "I can lick any man in the place!"lol, one time a guy did that in a bar in my hometown (in Alaska), and my dad jumped up and kicked his ass!

I can lick any man in the place? That's a bit ambiguous, isn't it?

Very interesting, Martinburke. I had never heard that about Dempsey taking a page out of ol' John L.'s book.

And doing it more impressively, by the sound of it.

Dempsey's mother read Sullivan's bio when she was pregnant with him, and hoped that her son would be big and strong like him!