Denis Kang Loses again in Korea

"Former PRIDE and UFC fighter Denis Kang dropped his third straight fight on Saturday at Road FC 5 in Seoul, South Korea. Kang lost by TKO to PRIDE veteran Shungo Oyama, who earned his third consecutive victory."-mmafighting.com

What happened to Denis? He had so much potential to be a huge star in mainstream mma.

stutheobald - He was so shell shocked after his loss to Bisping that he has lost the ability to fight
Show some respect. Trolling is against TOS. VTFD.

Everyone loses. But c'mon Oyama? Time to hang em up. Go coach or something

Dawkins - "Former PRIDE and UFC fighter Denis Kang dropped his third straight fight on Saturday at Road FC 5 in Seoul, South Korea. Kang lost by TKO to PRIDE veteran Shungo Oyama, who earned his third consecutive victory."-mmafighting.com

What happened to Denis? He had so much potential to be a huge star in mainstream mma.

That really sucks....I seem to remember hearing that everything started going downhill following the death of his significant other. Could have just completely fucked him mentally Phone Post

Naughty Gorilla - Everyone loses. But c'mon Oyama? Time to hang em up. Go coach or something
While I agree that he should stop fighting....he's on a 3 fight losing streak against less than top opposition, he has been coaching for years.

This guy was never the same after the brutal beatdown that Bisping put on him.

People peak and then their abilities diminish. For some the peak lasts a long time, for others a short time. Some peoples' peak is a mole hill, others peak with a mountain. In short, everyone is different. I think the athletes skills may continue to improve and their knowledge and experience continues to grow, but their athletic peak or prime or whatever spans a short time frame and athletes try to maximize their opportunities in that window.

Yeah, his recent career has been so disappointing to me. I was really hyped about him, and told those around me to watch out for this guy, because he's the real deal. Damn.

Similar to what another poster mentioned, his downslide seemed to correspond with his longtime girlfriend/fiancee's suicide I believe. His issues always appeared to be mental and cardio related which may not be mutually exclusive. The man had all the tools really: Good striking, wrestling and bjj. As a fan, it's been sad to see his descent.

Kang peaked HARD, then came back down to earth

Shungo Oyama is no joke. He doesn't have the best record but that's cause he's fought nothing but top opposition. He was just one of those guys that Pride put in with guys like Fedor/CroCop/Wand to make them look good so all the internet nerds would think they are unbeatable.

Vote Oyama 2012!

BTW Kang started losing when he started fighting better competition.

He won 20 straight against such world beaters as Takahiro Oba, Kim Jae Young and Kobus Huisamen with his best win coming against Ninja or Gono(which are solid wins). Then he started fighting guys like Misaki, Sexyama, Mousasi, Belcher, Bisping etc and lost.

FrateTrane_MaimedShane - BTW Kang started losing when he started fighting better competition.

He won 20 straight against such world beaters as Takahiro Oba, Kim Jae Young and Kobus Huisamen with his best win coming against Ninja or Gono(which are solid wins). Then he started fighting guys like Misaki, Sexyama, Mousasi, Belcher, Bisping etc and lost.
Not really the point. Actually watch some of the fights. He clowned Belcher on the feet then jumped into a retarded guillotine, dropped Bisping and then just faded in round 2 etc. He has soooo much talent its insane but tends to fall apart. Real shame.

I think it was always mental issues with him. Seeing him practically give Mousasi that triangle is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen

Maybe he has a problem finishing people? Most of the fights he's been losing, he was winning most of them till he gets caught in something stupid.

Also I really enjoyed Tracy Lee's blog on his road to the DREAM Grand Prix.

disbeliever - He had all the potential in the world imo

potential and a dollar gets you a cup of coffee

Seems like he's just fighting for the paycheck these days. I don't think his motivation is there at this point in his career and he's just going through the motions now.

Threads like these are probably why Denis doesn't post here anymore. From all accounts, he's doing everything right in the gym and trains with a killer camp in Montreal at Tristar. Everyone I talk to who trains there says that Denis has helped them out a great deal.

I'd be interested to hear a pro's take on the mental aspect of losing, not the opinions of a bunch of airmchair fighters who haven't trained a day in their lives.

It's hard to describe Kang. So much potential but it's like there's always something holding back. On a personal level, he's one of my favorite fighters. But I do wish he'd call it quits. He's probably an excellent coach.

btw he does still post. I saw him on the GeekGround of all places, a few weeks back

ramit upper - This guy was never the same after the brutal beatdown that Bisping put on him.