DFW, fighters, sponsors react to Covington

UFC welterweight Colby Covington courts coverage via offensive statements, and it was on full display leading up to and after his main event fight vs. Tyron Woodley at UFC on ESPN+ 36. 

“The Black Lives Matter is a complete sham,” said Covington. “It’s a joke. They’re taking these people that are complete terrorists. They’re taking these people that that are criminals. These aren’t people that are hardworking Americans, blue-collar Americans. These are bad people. They’re criminals.”

Post-fight, Covington got into it with division champion Kamaru Usman, in an exchange that ESPN put on Twitter, but later deleted. It came after Covington received a congratulatory call from President Donald Trump.

“Who did you get a call from? Did you get a call from, freaking, your little tribe? Did they give you some smoke signals for you?” Covington shouted. “You’re a joke, Marty Fakenewsman!”

At the UFC 253 media day at Fight Island, a number of fighters including women’s bantamweight Sijara Eubanks took pointed offense to the remarks, and others like it.

“Let’s be real, tt wasn’t unfortunate, it was flat out racist, what Colby was saying,” she began, as transcribed by Damon Martin for MMA Fighting.com. “It was racist, it was disgusting, and quite frankly disappointing. At the same time, what I do appreciate is the UFC lets whoever say whatever. They have never muzzled us as fighters. If you want to talk, if you don’t want to talk, want to be political, don’t want to be political, and I have to appreciate that the company lets us say what we want.

“It is America, and everybody can think what they want. But I think, to be fair, guys that talk like Mike Perry and Colby Covington, I think a lot of things they say are racist and disgusting. I think it should be reported as such, instead of “unfortunate” or “controversial.” Let’s be real - it’s racist. He’s calling the guy a Marxist and a communist, and he’s saying that he’s un-American. If you’re born in this country, you’re American. I don’t give a damn. If you were born in this country, I don’t care what your background is, what your race is, what your socio-economic status is, you’re an American and that’s it. To have another American say that you’re not, I think it’s flat out f***ed up. It’s more than unfortunate.”

“If I came out and called somebody a redneck or honky or something like that, I don’t think I would get that kind of pat on the wrist like Colby got. People are rushing to his defense, ‘Oh, he’s just promoting himself.’ He doesn’t need to promote himself at this point to that extent. If you can say it out and pretend it’s a schtick or show, I just don’t think playing with something that’s sensitive as race, especially in the timeframe that we’re in, is something that you should use to promote yourself, and I don’t think it’s promotion.

“I think it has to come from some source of how you really feel. If not, you’re a terribly good actor, and quite frankly, it’s disgusting that people defend them. Same thing with Mike Perry. Mike Perry dropped the ‘N’ word all over the place and he pushed around people and women and everyone’s like, ‘Oh, he needs help.’ No, that’s abusive and alcoholic and racist. That’s what it is. I think when it starts getting presented as such, hopefully, things will start to change a little bit.”

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1308796096907534337

Welterweight contender Leon Edwards also weighed in.

“That’s what got me – the UFC has said nothing about it,” said Edwards. “ESPN has said nothing about it. Letting it flow like it’s a normal thing to f***ing say and do and it’s not. Your tribe and smoke signals and blah, blah, blah, and he’s calling Woodley a terrorist because of Black Lives Matter. All these statements he’s making are racist. There’s no other way to go around it.”

“If it was the other way around, if a Black athlete was saying to a white athlete in that regards, people would report it straight away.  find it very weird that no one is stepping up and no one is saying anything. UFC isn’t saying anything about it. ESPN is allowing it to carry on. I understand he’s creating a character, but race that’s not a character. That’s just hate, and he’s spreading hate. I never liked the guy and after that – I 100 percent don’t like the guy.”

“He’s wearing a MAGA hat and talking about politics all day, but when we do it, it’s, ‘We don’t want to hear about it, you shouldn’t talk about it.’ When Colby does it, it’s, ‘He’s standing up for what’s right.’ It is a sad thing, but that’s the way world is. Nobody is pulling him on it. UFC hasn’t said nothing about it. ESPN ain’t said nothing about it. It is what it is. It’s f***ed up.”

Featherweight Hakeem Dawodu was likewise offended.  

“I found them extremely rude, racist,” said Dawodu. “I’m kind of surprised he’s allowed to talk free like that. You know everyone’s allowed to talk freely, but I took offense to it. It’s crazy that it’s comments like that causing more and more of a divide amongst the people. So that’s how he gets down, but I’m not really with that, and I took offense to that for sure.

“That’s racist. They were almost worried about my walkout song, and he’s going to be saying stuff like that and that’s crazy, especially on such a big stage. I feel like that’s only going to promote more and more divide and cause more and more issues. He’s got the president calling him, backing him up on that. I don’t really appreciate it, and that’s how it is I guess.”

“People think he’s playing a character, but to the common person, they don’t know that. They hear this guy that they’re looking up to and I ain’t gonna front, he’s a good fighter, he’s definitely a good athlete, and people are looking up to him, and they’re going to think it’s OK.

“Not only is he saying that, he’s saying it on a world stage and it’s OK, and I don’t really rock with that.”

Israel Adesanya too addressed the issue, noting a double standard - when black athletes protest, say by taking a knee, a common response is that they should just play the ball game, but when Covington expresses his beliefs, the same fans applaud it.

“What is it, ‘Shut up and dribble?’ that lady said. There was a lady that did that. She said shut up and dribble, but when it was someone else, then she was like, ‘I think he has a right to express his, blah, blah, blah. The hypocrisy,’” said Adesanya. “Like I said, it’s a mirror. You should look into the mirror.”

“I mean, it just shows you the landscape of the media and what it is right now. I made a joke about dropping Romero like the Twin Towers, and everyone lost their mind, even if I said it was a joke and it was pretty funny, but people took it as like I was being offensive and digging, but I was making a joke.

“This guy has directly insulted my culture, my brother and many other cultures and stuff and no one says anything, but it just shows you a mirror to you guys. So yeah, I don’t really care. Kamaru Usman broke his jaw.”

UFC president Dana White was also asked about Covington. Mike Bohn and John Morgan for MMAjunkie said sources speaking on the condition of anonymity said White was not fully educated on Covington’s specific comments in his interaction with Usman.

“This is the 10th time you guys have asked me this,” said White. “These guys all have their own causes, things – all their own beliefs. We don’t muzzle anybody here. We let everybody speak their mind. I don’t know what he said that was racist. I don’t know if I heard anything racist that he said. I don’t know.”

White was asked directly if the UFC opposes racism.

“Yeah, of course,” said White said. “Come on. I’m not going to play these games with you guys. Come on. If it’s racist? Yes. Of course.”

Tim Bissell for BE reached out to all the official event sponsors for comment. These were Reebok, Monster Energy, DoorDash, Modelo, Nemiroff Vodka, Howler Head, Manscaped, Jimmy John’s, Toyo Tires, and DraftKings. Several responded.

Monster Energy:

“Monster Energy will not respond on the comments of a Non-Sponsored Athlete. We stand by the statements on our website regarding Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion.”

DoorDash:

“DoorDash stands with our employees and community members to fight injustice, inequality and discrimination, and we remain committed to using our voice and platform to empower local economies to support equality.”

Reebok:

“Reebok is the uniform provider for the UFC, however we do not sponsor Colby Covington. We do not agree with the sentiments he expressed, and stand firm in our belief that Black lives matter. We stand with athletes and communities who are fighting for change.”

A number of other sponsors that did not respond to BE, including Modelo and Manscaped, have previously expressed support for the Black Lives Matter movement.

Covington used the criticism and condemnation to continue building his personal brand: “Nice try woke mob, but you can’t cancel Colby Covington Inc!!! I speak for the Silent Majority and I’ll never back down. Have a problem snowflakes? Direct your complaints to the comment section below.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFkUyBIBMo_/?utm_source=ig_embed

8 Likes

Kirik, what do you think of Adesanya’s racist behavior on Instagram?

Doesn’t seem to be getting attention for some reason.

33 Likes

I get the feeling that people don’t know what actual racism is.

22 Likes

Even fighters act like little fags

7 Likes
Kirik - 

UFC president Dana White was also asked about Covington. Mike Bohn and John Morgan for MMAjunkie said sources speaking on the condition of anonymity said White was not fully educated on Covington’s specific comments in his interaction with Usman.

“This is the 10th time you guys have asked me this,” said White. “These guys all have their own causes, things – all their own beliefs. We don’t muzzle anybody here. We let everybody speak their mind. I don’t know what he said that was racist. I don’t know if I heard anything racist that he said. I don’t know.”

White was asked directly if the UFC opposes racism.

“Yeah, of course,” said White said. “Come on. I’m not going to play these games with you guys. Come on. If it’s racist? Yes. Of course.”

Tim Bissell for BE reached out to all the official event sponsors for comment. These were Reebok, Monster Energy, DoorDash, Modelo, Nemiroff Vodka, Howler Head, Manscaped, Jimmy John’s, Toyo Tires, and DraftKings. Several responded.

Monster Energy:

“Monster Energy will not respond on the comments of a Non-Sponsored Athlete. We stand by the statements on our website regarding Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion.”

DoorDash:

“DoorDash stands with our employees and community members to fight injustice, inequality and discrimination, and we remain committed to using our voice and platform to empower local economies to support equality.”

Reebok:

“Reebok is the uniform provider for the UFC, however we do not sponsor Colby Covington. We do not agree with the sentiments he expressed, and stand firm in our belief that Black lives matter. We stand with athletes and communities who are fighting for change.”

A number of other sponsors that did not respond to BE, including Modelo and Manscaped, have previously expressed support for the Black Lives Matter movement.

Reebok

Door dash

Monster energy

check.

Good to know. Now I know who to avoid giving my money to.

6 Likes
boxy - Kirik, what do you think of Adesanya's racist behavior on Instagram?

Doesn’t seem to be getting attention for some reason.

This.

3 Likes

Lmao @ a "reporter" reaching out to these companies for "comment". We all know they're really reaching out in hopes of cancellation.

10 Likes
Bilge Water - 

Lmao @ a "reporter" reaching out to these companies for "comment". We all know they're really reaching out in hopes of cancellation.

This exactly and from a reporter from Bloody Elbow no less.

5 Likes
bfhou -
Bilge Water - 

This exactly and from a reporter from Bloody Elbow no less.

The author’s twitter feed from the link is pathetic. 

Paramount Donkey - 

This should be explored.

1 Like

“Let’s be real - it’s racist. He’s calling the guy a Marxist and a communist, and he’s saying that he’s un-American.”

Apparently calling someone a communist is racist now?

11 Likes

As a “Red Man” I took no offense to the smoke signal line. And BLM is a racist, communist group. Fuck BLM and any fool that supports them…

23 Likes
Charles Barkley -

“Let’s be real - it’s racist. He’s calling the guy a Marxist and a communist, and he’s saying that he’s un-American.”

Yes.

Isn’t it great? What a time to be alive.

Charles Barkley -

Fucking lol. See, you can't criticize a person of color because that's racist? In what upside down world do we live in. 

2 Likes
Paramount Donkey -

Tell us what is 

I am actually now a huge Colby fan. I used to think he was cringe but to see how excited like a little kid he was when Trump called him won me over lol. 

5 Likes

Years ago, to promote his fight with Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen said that Brazilians were primitive and that he saw big Nog try to feed a carrot to a bus. The UFC was totally ok with it.

2 Likes