DFW: Flyweight division stays

In January of 2019, when Henry Cejudo successfully defended the UFC flyweight championship for the first time by knocking out then bantamweight champion TJ Dillashaw, many people, including Cejudo himself, believed that he had saved the flyweight division. The division had for some time been at the brink of being dissolved, with the inaugural champion Demetrious Johnson not seeing eye to eye with management and then departing, and a number of top 10 fighters being let go. However, after that win, there was a consensus that 125 had found some stability. 

Then Cejudo moved up to beat Marlon Moraes to win the vacant bantamweight belt. Then Cejudo successfully defended that belt vs. Dominick Cruz, and retired, vacating both belts. And the future of the flyweight division was again in some doubt.

However, Deiveson Figueiredo devastated Joseph Benavidez in a rematch in the main event of UFC on ESPN+ 30, winning the vacant flyweight belt. At the post-fight conference, UFC president Dana White said the future of the division was assured, and offered praise for "Deus Da Guerra."

“Pure violence,” said White. “No controversy in this one. We have pretty nasty champions in those two divisions now.”

“When was the last time I talked about getting rid of the division? Yeah, it’s here. Look at how good this guy looked tonight. Look what he did. A ton of controversy in the first fight from weight to headbutts. No controversy in this one. The guy came in and did what he said he was going to do against the No. 2 ranked guy in the world and he looked damn good doing it."

So who is next for Figueiredo?

“When I get home, we’ll figure that stuff out,” said White.

Figueiredo has expressed interest in someday becoming champ champ.

“I’d like to see him defend his title a couple times,” said White. “Maybe if he defends the title a couple of times, that’ll be interesting, yeah.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLpUkDNTZ2s

h/t Nolan King and John Morgan for MMA Junkie

Booooo

![](upload://fzxi9MoDEKYYJMtVODkLYetKrJo.gif)

1 Like

He look awesome tonight.  Total killer. 

1 Like

Looked like dad vs the kids

Just give him the 135 title shot and scrap 125.