DFW: I blame referee Dan Stell 100%

i don't think dana realizes it is not only his job that is hard. but, reffing is just as hard. people should tap when they know they are in trouble.
look at cung le, that was a good stoppage. now people are some people are saying bad stoppage.
being a ref is a catch 22 situation. damn if you do, damn if you don't.

Gnarls Gnarlington - Dana should just stfu.

What!?! Phone Post

It would help a hell of a lot if people just tapped instead of waited to pass out. Although the ref could have checked to see if Lawlor was concious.

As for the Ronda fight, she already had a controversial stoppage because her opponent was in trouble in the same position but apparently didn't tap but screamed in pain, Budd didn't scream or tap so why jump in and stop it. She tapped within one second of everyone realising the arm was fuxed anyway, Dana makes it sound like the ref ran from the opposite side of the cage when in fact the ref was right next to them even bending over to check if Budd was verbally/physically tapping when she was flat on her front.

Xad - It would help a hell of a lot if people just tapped instead of waited to pass out. Although the ref could have checked to see if Lawlor was concious.

As for the Ronda fight, she already had a controversial stoppage because her opponent was in trouble in the same position but apparently didn't tap but screamed in pain, Budd didn't scream or tap so why jump in and stop it. She tapped within one second of everyone realising the arm was fuxed anyway, Dana makes it sound like the ref ran from the opposite side of the cage when in fact the ref was right next to them even bending over to check if Budd was verbally/physically tapping when she was flat on her front.

Exactly. You'd think DFW hadn't seen Ronda's previous fight.

These fighters are adults and professionals and if they don't want to tap, fuck them. Don't blame it on the ref.

I think in order to be a ref you should have at a minimum a brown belt in bjj or equivalent.

BJJ/submission fighting is a game of chess and if you don't know know how to play the game there is a good chance you will make a bad call as was done in this fight.

Now, I don't know the background of these 2 refs; it could be possible they are martial artists. Either way I think these were bad calls.

Also in the rhonda fight her opponent did a quick fake tap.

Gnarls Gnarlington - Dana should just stfu.

Why?
It is ultimately the Ref's responsibility to recognize a choke and if a fighter is out, or in jeopardy, or tapping.

People on the UG crucified the ref in the Kim Couture fight for letting her get choked long after she was out.

Now that Dana says the same thing, he should STFU?

Man the hypocrisy of this place.

Refs have a very difficult job. No one really pays attention when they do a great job, but when they screw up or miss something, everyone is prepared to burn them at the stake.

But if you have to blame someone for a situation like Lawlor getting choked long after he's out, or Budd getting her arm injured because the ref didnt realize she was tapping long after she was in a tight armbar, then you have to blame the refs I suppose. The fighter's job is to continue until the ref stops the fight.

smac3dot0 - 
Chimonos Revenge -

Man the hypocrisy of this place.

that's not "hypocrisy" that's "different people having different opinions about different events".

Its the same issue. People just like to jump on anything Dana says, even though he is saying exactly what has been said on here 100's of times.

The lack of knowledge of the submission game fucks up judging and is plain dangerous for refs. A person with knowledge of subs would have probably stopped both earlier. However I have never heard a defeated fighter say the ref stopped the fight too late. Phone Post

I see nothing wrong with either stoppage. 

Ryan Williams - The lack of knowledge of the submission game fucks up judging and is plain dangerous for refs. A person with knowledge of subs would have probably stopped both earlier. However I have never heard a defeated fighter say the ref stopped the fight too late. Phone Post

Agreed 100%.
While I don't agree with an earlier post about needing a brown belt to be a ref, it is absolutely necessary to have pretty extensive knowledge o the ground game. Phone Post

Xad - It would help a hell of a lot if people just tapped instead of waited to pass out. Although the ref could have checked to see if Lawlor was concious.

From what I've heard around is that Budd told Kim Winslow she was double jointed and to let it go further if she was caught in a sub. Guess she wished she was triple jointed now. Happened to my left arm caught in a armbar, acting the tough guy and not tapping. Now I can't take 75% the extension in that arm I used to(at best). And I rehabbed it correctly, but the damage was done. Don't wish that on any fighter. Hope JB recovers 100%
How about instead of one big ref in the ring, who can only catch so much without being in the middle of the fighters, put two small refs to catch the action. Like watching guys grabbing the fence when the ref is on the other side for example. Or one ref inside the cage or ring, and a couple outside. To make it fair and safe. Almost like in Pride, but give them authority to stop the action, take pts ect. Might help stop situations like last Sat and many others. Not like refs are expensive(sadly in lots of cases).

sometimes it's nailed, and sometimes it's not