DFW: I love Ronda she's as tough+nasty as it comes

DFW: I love Ronda she's as tough+nasty as it comes

/go=news.detail&gid=406660 [mmajunkie.com]

UFC president Dana White sees a parallel between women's MMA and the UFC's newly adopted flyweight division.

"My thing with the female fighting is that I love Ronda Rousey, man," said White. "She's as tough and as nasty as it comes. I love Ronda, but I think Ronda is one of those girls that's up here. You have a lot of girls who compete in the sport that aren't on her level.

"It's not about having women's fights. It's about having enough good women in a division."

It's not a gender thing - the UFC adopted 125-pound flyweights to the men's divisions only this year.

In time, the women's divisions could follow suit, he said.

"I think after you've seen these two (Johnson and McCall) fight, and you know Benavidez, you know who the top three fighters are in the world, and then there's a whole list of guys under them," White said. "If you had a whole division, there's a lot you could do.

"But we don't have that in the women's divisions yet."

Read entire article...

"It's not a gender thing - the UFC adopted 125-pound flyweights to the men's divisions only this year."

Wait....what?

I was making a comment about it being okay to have awkward sentences since it is a blog and not news, but then I saw that it was a junkie article. Am disappoint.

(Yawn)

I love her too. Parts, parts of her. Phone Post

nasty girl
I love her

NorthFromHere - "It's not a gender thing - the UFC adopted 125-pound flyweights to the men's divisions only this year."

Wait....what?
Haha! I was going to comment on same thing Phone Post

i like how she grew up immersed in Judo from her mother, Honda should be a "special correspondent" for the UFC, or commentator for FOX/FX/Fuel events Phone Post

You heard it here first!

Gina fell to Cris Cyborg on the 3rd Saturday of August 2009.

Ronda Rousey will fall to Sarah Kaufmann on the 3rd Saturday of August 2012.

This will be a bad day for the "face" of WMMA, and another wagon train will be derailed, as Ronda's hype comes to an end.

Agree with Dana on this one

I love Ronda also Phone Post

Aleck911 - I love Ronda also Phone Post
NorthFromHere - "It's not a gender thing - the UFC adopted 125-pound flyweights to the men's divisions only this year."

Wait....what?

Yeah uhh hmmm wha... yeah hmmm...

Meisha and Gina who?

JustAnotherMMAFan - You heard it here first!

Gina fell to Cris Cyborg on the 3rd Saturday of August 2009.

Ronda Rousey will fall to Sarah Kaufmann on the 3rd Saturday of August 2012.

This will be a bad day for the "face" of WMMA, and another wagon train will be derailed, as Ronda's hype comes to an end.

I wouldnt have used the same verbiage, but I concur nonetheless... with regard to the anorexic-ally thin division, even this forum doesnt ever talk about any of the 'other' female fighters... thats because they arent there. Any 'hype' to anyone is just that 'hype'. RR is awesome to watch (and look at). MT- same thing. SK- same thing. GC, even our own killary may one day get compete for us to see, but until theres 'enough' women to create a solid division, we should at least get
"SUPERFIGHTS"... UFC superfights for women would grow the division exponentially faster than without.
Imagine a "TUF- WOMEN"... would at least increase the fanbase. Hell, even if only girls who're into BJJ try out... so what... I love grappling!

Honestly, who cares if there aren't enough top class women.

Combine the two main womens divisions and let her be UFC champion and run the division like PRIDE used to run the middleweight championship with Wand crushing smaller people for years on end, interspersed with a legit match up every now and then.

People love dominant champs, she's hot and she's entertaining.

It'd be sad if she becomes like Cheryl Miller - a great dominant force before the major leagues existed.

"It's not about having women's fights. It's about having enough good women in a division."

That's retarded. Why is a whole division of competitive fighters needed to showcase Ronda Rousey in the UFC?

Fans are interested in Rousey fights; not the whole fucking division.

Did Dana just call uncle creepy a woman? Phone Post

I read that as his point being they JUST added the flyweight division because there wasn't the same depth of talent as all the others (BW-HW)

His issue with the women isn't that they're women, it's that ALL women's divisions are shallow as fuck. The comment lends itself more to "Until recently, there hasn't been enough guys to warrant making the flyweight division." than it does to "The flyweights are chicks."

^ Ronda's gonna fight whether there's a strong division around her or not. Might as well have her fights showcased on a bigger stage in the UFC.