DFW: I've offered to make McGregor vs. Poirier

UFC president Dana White and former champ champ Conor McGregor recently engaged in a Twitter spat, leading to McGregor declaring that he was boxing Manny Pacquiao in the Middle East, and McGregor and Dustin Poirier agreeing to an "exhibition" ***wink wink*** fight for charity.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1311362118457978884

During a Wednesday interview with Barstool Sports, White addressed both the boxing and the charity "exhibition" talk.

“No, Conor and I have not talked outside the public stuff,” said White, as transcribed by Damon Martin for MMA Fighting. “I don’t know if you just saw, the Saudis went after Conor basically said that’s a lie that fight [boxing vs. Manny Pacquiao] is happening and you better take that down in the next 15 minutes and we’re going to sue you. He took it down. You don’t see the poster anymore about him and Pacquiao that he posted.

“Then he called out Poirier with Conor in Dublin for charity. So we offered them both a fight. We offered Dustin and Conor a fight so we’re waiting to hear back from both of them.”

https://twitter.com/SpinninBackfist/status/1311325940748820481

Reportedly no formal offer has been extended, but Poirier was in without hesitation.

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/1311331520523665409 

Poirier had been in negotiations to fight Tony Ferguson at UFC 254, but it fell apart, reportedly over money. Fighting "The Notorious" is a Red Pany Night, so obviously "The Diamond" wants in. Poirier is likely all the more interested as he fell to McGregor in 106 seconds at UFC 178 on September 27, 2014, in  Las Vegas, Nevada.

Matchmaking in the UFC is in no small part driven by fan interest, so an obvious question to fans on The UG, is do they want to see a Poirier vs. McGregor rematch? If not, or if maybe, who do you more want to see McGregor fight tha Poirier? Or, are you tired of Conor McGregor, and fine with him swim off into the MMA sunset in a sea of whiskey?

1 Like

No one’s tired of McGregor. Like or loathe, they’ll all tune in. I think a rematch with Poirier would be interesting - and the numbers would be there. 

Not that we didn’t already know this, but Dana really knows how to play the game. A master. 

7 Likes

I knew it was always bound to happen, even from the very start but are we finally at the “we were never friends” stage with Dana and Conor?

It was beautiful while it lasted.

Fedoral Crime -

I knew it was always bound to happen, even from the very start but are we finally at the “we were never friends” stage with Dana and Conor?

Dana can't put his eggs all in one basket, no pun intended

![](upload://rRR0MwekqgrrNTi2300Z5bfjuYO.gif)

Fedoral Crime - 

Stone Cold Conor McGregor is unhinged and rebels against boss is a much better sales tactic Sex Assaulter to fight guy he already beat in under two minutes again.

I’ll bet they’re laughing over text about all of this. They seem to be genuine friends or as close to that as they can be

1 Like
BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide -

No one’s tired of McGregor. Like or loathe, they’ll all tune in. I think a rematch with Poirier would be interesting - and the numbers would be there. 

Not that we didn’t already know this, but Dana really knows how to play the game. A master. 

What kind of butt hurt faggot would vote down a post as benign as this man’s post? It’s completely accurate. 

“So we offered them both a fight. We offered Dustin and Conor a fight so we’re waiting to hear back from both of them.”

…He never said he offered them a fight against each other though.

2 Likes

So Dustin's public "I accept" response pretty much puts the onus on Conor; either he takes the fight, or he is going to be where the blame lands if the fight doesn't come to fruition.

Liner81 -

So Dustin's public "I accept" response pretty much puts the onus on Conor; either he takes the fight, or he is going to be where the blame lands if the fight doesn't come to fruition.

$$$ is always the reason for him to say no

Malvert the Janitor -

What kind of butt hurt faggot would vote down a post as benign as this man’s post? It’s completely accurate. 

Now you got voted down for calling it out lol. WTF 

Now this post is gonna get voted down 

TTT

i think the most interesting part of the interview was Khabib saying he never wants to fight Conor again.  Khabib has everything to lose, and why gift your nemesis with a second chance? 

https://youtu.be/PMFVO1DYWk0

Malvert the Janitor -

Mixedmartialarts.com/votes 

If you really want to know, they are public.  

Assuming this means Ferguson gets next title shot, I'm good with Poirier vs McGregor for #2

savage animal -

Assuming this means Ferguson gets next title shot, I'm good with Poirier vs McGregor for #2

Conor should definitely fight Poirier or T Ferg 

Dana forcing conors hand by making this offer public....conor better make blaf some money soon,he is starting to treat him like all the other fighters.

Jones right nostril - "So we offered them both a fight. We offered Dustin and Conor a fight so we’re waiting to hear back from both of them."

Correct…I posted about this yesterday, I think Dana was intentional in his choice of words here. He said he offered both a fight, said nothing about the opponents. If he was trying to make that fight in the UFC, he would have said “they agreed to fight each other, so we’re trying to make that fight happen.”

Rickmassmma -
Jones right nostril - "So we offered them both a fight. We offered Dustin and Conor a fight so we’re waiting to hear back from both of them."

Correct…I posted about this yesterday, I think Dana was intentional in his choice of words here. He said he offered both a fight, said nothing about the opponents. If he was trying to make that fight in the UFC, he would have said "they agreed to fight each other, so we’re trying to make that fight happen."

I thought the same thing after you mentioned it but Okamoto is reporting its Conor vs Dustin here and Dustin retweeted it so I think that settles it… contracts have been sent to both men for the fight vs one another.

Dana could have been more clear in the interview.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1311486248846938112

savage animal -

Tony is not getting a title shot after getting destoryed by Gaethje... he is going to have to go out there and win a fight to get a title shot. Khabib ain't fighting nobody coming off a loss for his final fight and if Gaethje is champ he is not fighting Tony in a rematch for his first defence when Tony has not gone out there and won a fight since getting trashed.