DFW not impressed with Curtis Blaydes

I love Blaydes but I do think Francis is next. Blaydes needs another fight in the time being

touch -
WaltJ -
dinkledorf -

Love Blaydes, smart fighter.

Yeah, it kinda annoys me.

I guess that's just the way the sport is.  They want to promote the blood and guts. 

It's also a sliding scale, because I've watched guys like Khabib do the same exact shit Blaydes does and be hailed as some mauling grappling genius.

I don't even like Volkov, but Blaydes had his way with him, and Volkov is not an easy guy to get down and control like that.

Sorry but if you really think Khabib does the exact same shit Blaydes does you have no idea what you are watching.

The trips, control against the cage and hand control on the ground do hold similarities to Khabib. Rd 1 was very Khabib. Problem is Khabib stays active like that the entire fight, Blaydes gassed and kinda stalled by rd 3. Either way I liked it 

So are they going to implement the mma equivalent of a shot clock? 

He is boring. Thankfully for him he has decent standup and pretty damn good power, otherwise I’d never watch his fights.

Sure Khabib and other great wrestlers take down their opponents, but they are still way more exciting.

It’s PRIZE fighting. You want to get paid, bring excitement. Otherwise, sure, you get the W but no one cares.

MMA rules are there for safety (or stupidity by the commissions that decided on the rules in some cases…) but it is a simulated fight. Out pointing opponents to win is never popular, stand up or lay’n’pray. The later is even more boring as there are no sparks, no thrills for viewers. Of course last night with no crowd he couldn’t get booed!

touch -
WaltJ -
dinkledorf -

I guess that's just the way the sport is.  They want to promote the blood and guts. 

It's also a sliding scale, because I've watched guys like Khabib do the same exact shit Blaydes does and be hailed as some mauling grappling genius.

I don't even like Volkov, but Blaydes had his way with him, and Volkov is not an easy guy to get down and control like that.

Sorry but if you really think Khabib does the exact same shit Blaydes does you have no idea what you are watching.

Agreed. Khabib is mauling, Blaydes is stalling.

1 Like

Give Blyades time,  he will learn to Khabib people

Stea1th -

Holding fighters and not doing damage should be scored as neutral or I might even venture be called stalling because it’s essentially what it is

Then they should get up. Not defending Blaydes or that but if you’re not getting hurt and nothing is essentially being done to you, then get up

Aaron Becker -
Stea1th -

Holding fighters and not doing damage should be scored as neutral or I might even venture be called stalling because it’s essentially what it is

Then they should get up. Not defending Blaydes or that but if you’re not getting hurt and nothing is essentially being done to you, then get up

The fight was boring as shit but I appreciated Blaydes dominance.  He completely shut down his opponent for 80% of the fight.  I lay some of the blame at Volkovs feet too.  He played it safe,  he didn't go for subs,  didn't scramble much and he was holding onto Blaydes wrists and arms for dear life.

When the bottom guy hold on to the top guy without trying to sub or sweep I think he should stay there like Volkov.

I just said on another thread that if every fighter did what Blaydes did, MMA would die because no one is going to pay good money to watch that.

1 Like

The only time I’ll watch one of his fights again is if it’s against someone I know is going to beat his ass

WaltJ -
dinkledorf -

Cheick Kongo did the exact same thing, that’s clearly the way to beat Volkov. 

Cue Herm Edwards, here.

Unkind Zuffa -

I'm not sure why anyone would fight for the kind of money the UFC pays.

Most fighters leave the sport broke, yeah you fought in the UFC, so what. 

But if you're dumb enough to do it then I'm dumb enough to watch.

As opposed to everyone taking regular jobs and retiring millionaires? Statistically about 95% don’t have very much money so I’m sorry if I don’t care if fighters make a lot of money. Especially boring, shitty fighters that aren’t even disciplined enough to not be fat. 

RoyNelsonsTVDinner -

When Dana starts a sentence “I like fighter X, but...” you know he doesn’t like fighter X.

Blaydes has complained about money multiple times recently (because he's making the same amount per fight that Greg Hardy is), and he said that the UFC was lying about not being able to pay fighters more.

This is why Dana is really pissed at him.

That said, after the two Ngannou losses and Dana's ridiculous refusal to create an interim title the one time that it's actually justified, Blaydes would've been in limbo even if he'd straight KO'd Volkov in the first round.

Eskimo -

His interview immediately after the fight was embarrassing. He mumbled like he was dying while keeping his eyes closed and his mouth just hanging open. It also bothers me how much he looks like a cabbage patch kid. His fights have been shitty 90% of the time. 

That was quite funny to be fair. I half expected him to puke mid interview. 

purist - 
Eskimo -

His interview immediately after the fight was embarrassing. He mumbled like he was dying while keeping his eyes closed and his mouth just hanging open. It also bothers me how much he looks like a cabbage patch kid. His fights have been shitty 90% of the time. 

He’s got a speech impediment, I believe.

Honestly, I think that’s like 50% of why people aren’t Blaydes fans.

He’s shy because he’s not confident in his ability to speak publicly, and so he takes his time to make sure he gets stuff out correctly, and it comes off as mumbly and weird.

If you listen to what he’s got to say, he’s actually a well considered guy who has clearly thought about stuff. That’s part of why I’m a fan.

To me, he’s exactly the same as Chael Sonnen (down to his fighting style), only without the ability to publicly turn on the charm due to his speech impediment.

Slowshot -
purist - 
Eskimo -

He’s got a speech impediment, I believe.

Honestly, I think that’s like 50% of why people aren’t Blaydes fans.

He’s shy because he’s not confident in his ability to speak publicly, and so he takes his time to make sure he gets stuff out correctly, and it comes off as mumbly and weird.

If you listen to what he’s got to say, he’s actually a well considered guy who has clearly thought about stuff. That’s part of why I’m a fan.

To me, he’s exactly the same as Chael Sonnen (down to his fighting style), only without the ability to publicly turn on the charm due to his speech impediment.

Oh I agree, I’m a fan. But he was fucked by the time he did the interview, he even stumbled and went ‘oh shit’ at one point lol. He was definitely exhausted, although that’s not exactly surprising. 

He fought pretty much the same way Khabib always fights.

Phisher -
RoyNelsonsTVDinner -

When Dana starts a sentence “I like fighter X, but...” you know he doesn’t like fighter X.

Blaydes has complained about money multiple times recently (because he's making the same amount per fight that Greg Hardy is), and he said that the UFC was lying about not being able to pay fighters more.

This is why Dana is really pissed at him.

That said, after the two Ngannou losses and Dana's ridiculous refusal to create an interim title the one time that it's actually justified, Blaydes would've been in limbo even if he'd straight KO'd Volkov in the first round.

I don't agree with that if he had KO'd Volkov in rd1 we would be having the same conversation.