DFW: Usman poised to break GSP's record on Sat

UFC president Dana White spoke recently with TMZ Sports, and discussed Saturday's UFC 258 main event between former training partners, welterweight champion Kamaru Usman vs. Gilbert Burns.

The top 10 win streaks in UFC history are:

Jon Jones (17)

Anderson Silva (16)

Max Holloway (13)

Demetrious Johnson (13)

Khabib Nurmagomedov (13)

Georges St. Pierre (13)

Kamaru Usman (12)

Tony Ferguson (12)

Amanda Nunes (11)

Royce Gracie (11)

The greatest streak in the welterweight division is held by GPS, with 12 (the 13th win was a win over Michael Bisping for the middleweight championship. White noted that with a win on Saturday, Usman will hold the league record for consecutive wins at welterweight.

“Stylistically, this fight is awesome. I’ve been waiting for this fight for so long,” said White. “Usman is tied with George St-Pierre for consecutive UFC [welterweight] wins with 12. If he wins this weekend, he breaks GSP’s record for 13. He’s on a 16-fight winning streak. This guy has not lost in 7 years.”

“If he can get through Gilbert Burns on Saturday night, which is gonna be a tough fight, he’s a guy that will just keep grinding and then one day we’re all gonna wake up and go ‘Oh wow!’ We’re all gonna be talking about G.O.A.T status with this guy.”

"The only thing we don’t know is who used to get the better of who in the gym when they use to train together. That has to have a huge mental advantage during this fight on Saturday night."

The card is short of must-see fights; White was asked about Kelvin Gastelum, who is on a three-fight losing streak, heading into his fight vs. Ian Heinisch.

“Tell me that last fight Kelvin Gastelum was in that sucked?!” asked White. "Regardless of what happens, this guy is fighting straight killers and I think he still has a lot left. He’s fun to watch fight and we’ll see what happens this weekend but that’s ANOTHER great fight."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIQdQ3BIiA4&feature=youtu.be

UG, what does Usman have to do to get into the GOAT discussion?

10 of those 12 were title fights for GSP, versus 3 out of 12 for Usman

9 Likes

Interesting: They each have only 3 finishes in their 12-fight streaks.

burns smokes him (see what I did there?)

Dana would absolutely love Usman to win.

You can’t discredit any win streak that long in MMA, but the WW division is shallow as fuck, and on top of that Usman & Colby are so far ahead of everyone else in it. Fitch & Shields would likely both have had their way with Usman & Colby in my opinion. Shields for sure 

Usman walks through Burns 

Fern 10th Planet - 

10 of those 12 were title fights for GSP, versus 3 out of 12 for Usman

10 of 12 were for the title... Jesus, talk about the bar being set at different levels

1 Like

The greatest of all time, GPS

4 Likes

He has to say that. He's a promoter and one of his champions is fighting. He can't talk the guy down. He'll save that till after the fight 

2 Likes

Usman is a beast but Dana ain't fooling anyone with this nonsense. I hate how we all just throw around the "goat" term with such little weight. GSP brought so much more to the table than wins and title defenses. His fights had a different aura. 

1 Like
gogojeffa - The greatest of all time, GPS

Always navigated his way to a Win!

6 Likes
DT_MMA -

Usman is a beast but Dana ain't fooling anyone with this nonsense. I hate how we all just throw around the "goat" term with such little weight. GSP brought so much more to the table than wins and title defenses. His fights had a different aura. 

This. GSP put asses in seats, gave the UFC a Canadian audience and was one of the most marketable fighters in history. He never came across as an asshole in interviews.

1 Like
LTL - 

LOL

If Usman wins then GSP has to challenge him.

The only three fights I can recall at all with Usman in them are against Woodley, Masvidal and Colby.

1 Like
LTL -

Wat GPS

GSP was a bore and a cheat and he’s been cockteasing the sport since he retired with zero intent of actually returning and facing real competition after being exposed in his last real fight EIGHT YEARS AGO.

what record? more boring than GSP? cool... whatever

inf0 - 

what record? more boring than GSP? cool... whatever

Both admittedly and proudly fight not to lose. Double hard pass.

Dana fuck boying hard here