DFW: What do the Internet reporters know?

DFW: What do the Internet reporters know?

/go=news.detail&gid=403484 [latimes.com]

UFC President Dana White sat down with Lance Pugmire of the LA Times, and took MMA writers to task for proclaiming that the ratings of UFC bouts on Fox-owned networks in the first of a seven-year, $100-million deal mean the sport's future is far from assured.

Lance Pugmire: Your ratings have slipped at times. You're saying there's no concern from Fox about this?

Dana White: "None. Listen, before us, the ads sold to television audiences on Saturday nights were Poligrip and [adult] diapers. We've brought the 18-34 male crowd that never used to watch TV on Saturday, and when they say our fights on Fuel are slipping, we had double our early audience of the same fights on Fox Deportes. As for TUF on FX, our 2010 prelims on Spike were at 1.4 million, and the last one was at 1.6 million, and growing every prelim."

LP: Have there been obstacles to your Fox arrangement -- having to switch networks for "The Ultimate Fighter," airing the fights on Friday nights, and the quality of your big Fox bouts?

DFW: "The real story is, what do the Internet reporters know? When they say Fox made a big bet on the UFC, and now it's tanking . . . it's not. It's given Fox an audience it never had before... 3.9 million new viewers to Fox networks in the last three months, new women viewers, and UFC on Fox 1 had a higher composition of Latino viewers than the big four sports leagues.

LP: Do you want to increase testing?

DFW: "Yes. We're going to do our own testing, order these guys into [a lab]; we're sorting it out now. You have to do this to save the sport. You can't have these guys fighting on this stuff."

Read entire interview...

Dana sure has been insulting the shit out of those who helped this thing get over the top (let alone stay alive)...

Not feelin it.

In the 90s one of the very few non fighters to make a bunch of money in this space said to me, "as long as people in this sport think you are one of them, they love you, but as soon as they think you are better than them, they hate you." Everyone hated him :-)

I feel like sometimes a lot of people in this sport are itching to see Dana/UFC fail. I don't really care about ratings at all unless it is 1,000,000 PPV buys for UFC 100 or something, but it feels like when ratings are low a lot of people are almost gleeful about it in a weird way.

This is not a general statement about everyone, by any means, but if anything I would think fans would uniformly be bummed out if not so many people watch a show, but that is not always the case.

Dana doesnt want to admit that his "jive live" concept has been an utter failure and because Zuffa placed so much of it's future on that it is costing big time... The UFC is bleeding it's fan base every single week he tries to ressucitate that abortion.

Im not worried about FOX... he's right the internet reporters do not grasp the real problem here.  Fox is fine... they could give a shit about the 4 measly fights on big fox a year... it's like the throw away bin.  Fox is gonna make their money back one way or another by burning through the fanbase which took Zuffa years to build up in order to get fuel into more homes. 

If Fox gets fuel into 70 million homes this deal paid for itself... everything else is a bonus.  If the UFC product is completely burnt through they can license whatever programming they want for the network.

What everyone should be concerned with is the bleeding of the UFC fanbase in the United States.

The UFC had an advantage over boxing and every other MMA org which they do not have anymore... Namely:  Accessible, consistent, consumable weekly content.  Before you couldnt forget about the UFC even if you wanted to... today you can barely remember.

Some will say the UFC wasnt big anyway or would have never made it mainstream anyway...  If you look at the 18-25 demo the UFC was mainstream... if you look at the 18-34 demo the UFC was huge, neck and neck with the NBA. 

All the UFC needed was time to breed out the over 45's and the entire country would have been permeable and would have grown up exposed to the UFC.  

Now , they are going backwards... they no longer have that foundation and base.  The passion index for the UFC is likely going down every week.

They went from millions of impressions a week to less than a third of that.

Fox is fine... they can burn through this puppy to build fuel for the next 7 years... Zuffa is the one in trouble.

If they dont fix the FX portion of the deal it will be a disaster for them in the States.

The internet is comedy and always amuses me. It seems with every year and every move the ufc makes, the internet is dooming them. Phone Post

I really want to see the Fox deal succeed but it seems to me that the UFC tends to be too conservative in it's production and is tending to do the same thing in the quality of fighters they are filling the Fox cards with. I still think they have the big fish in the small pond syndrome and are not prepared to make the most of the chance they've got with this deal.

Not sure if it's been posted, but TUF last Friday posted the lowest TUF rating ever, with only 821,000 viewers.

Per Dana's own measurement: "first 2 years of this thing are the most important"...  The fox deal has been a failure.

Fox ratings going down to where the last show did worse than elite xc and strikeforces lowest rated events on CBS.  The UFC brand is getting weaker by the minute.

Tuf Live cotinues to break records for lowest rated episodes which just dipped to 820k.

Fuel ratings continue to go down.   UG members without fuel are now telling Dana: "You Need to Figure That Shit Out" -

The only metric going up are the live fighting events on FX (the ppv prelims on fx and the fight nights on fx)... everything else is shit.

Stick the "jive live" up your ass and develop a real product for FX (a weekly fight night series) and it will solve everything... Get 2 million eyeballs a week on FX and you'll routinely get 4 mil on Fox... and most importantly you'll stop the bleeding.

Kirik - I feel like sometimes a lot of people in this sport are itching to see Dana/UFC fail.

I agree. And that's equally as disheartening and even more illogical.

My plan is putting 200 pounds on and being a mall Santa. 

Ok, I can understand people wanting to see Dana fail, but to see the UFC fail would be the crumbling of this entire industry. Dana & the UFC are non-separable (for now), so that's why I feel it's illogical.

just a clarification.

Waiting for FRB to answer the question...

We are the insiders and Dana knows it. He's fearful of us. Phone Post

Looks like a dirty musubi Phone Post 3.0

Do you want to increase testing?

"Yes. We're going to do our own testing, order these guys into [a lab]; we're sorting it out now. You have to do this to save the sport. You can't have these guys fighting on this stuff."

This is interesting.
Either UFC is going to do a minimal "test everybody once" or something along the spectrum to a full-fledged random testing program.
I'd like to see them out-source [u]random[/u] testing to a 3rd-party org like VADA. That's the only way they can assure fans and critics of the integrity of the sport and their fighters.

^^^^^ You're so full of shit. You watch Zuffa product, legally or not. Stop trying to bullshit us.

Kirik - In the 90s one of the very few non fighters to make a bunch of money in this space said to me, "as long as people in this sport think you are one of them, they love you, but as soon as they think you are better than them, they hate you." Everyone hated him :-)

I feel like sometimes a lot of people in this sport are itching to see Dana/UFC fail. I don't really care about ratings at all unless it is 1,000,000 PPV buys for UFC 100 or something, but it feels like when ratings are low a lot of people are almost gleeful about it in a weird way.

This is not a general statement about everyone, by any means, but if anything I would think fans would uniformly be bummed out if not so many people watch a show, but that is not always the case.

I dont get that either, but you get some people like EB who think if the UFC goes under another org, Bellator will take the sport to new heights, that another org can do better and be bigger.

Some people think like that, I dont think its true at all but its possible but thats a pretty big gamble if you ask me.

If the UFC fails and does bad that means mma is doing bad and if the UFC goes under the sport is in trouble.

I know the first thing they will says is Bellator on Spike will take the sport to new heights, lol, you willing to bet the entire sport of mma on that?

dannyapodaca - 
Garv - 
G-Hands - 
Kirik - I feel like sometimes a lot of people in this sport are itching to see Dana/UFC fail.

Human nature.  The more someone or something succeeds, the more people there are who want it to fail.  Dana used to be golden, but the SOPA thing, coupled with his ever-increasing douchebag attitude, has turned off a lot of fans. 

I want the ufc to be the most succesful sports league in the world. But I can't stand dana. And personnaly i won't watch until he is done.

If thats true thats the dumbest thing ever uttered by a so called fan.

Yeah I wont watch fights because I dont like the president of the company.

I wont eat at McDonalds, has nothing to do with the food I just dont like the pres of the company, I wont watch the Yankees play either as long as Hal/Hank own the team.

Unbelievable.

So the game plan all along with Fox was to get more women and Latino viewers? Yes, Dana, you can spin with the best of them. But it's just a spin and only to truly idiotic or gullible can't see right through it.

The bigger problem as I've said before is over-saturation. 7 events in less than two months, not incl. TUF.

That's too much to ask your audience to watch even if half are free, weakens your ability to promote the individual events, spreads your top guys and important matches out and can really hurt you when last-minute replacements are needed for main card fights.

Settle down Dana, focus on fewer cards but really promote them. Don't overwhelm the casual or new viewer who probably feel now that being a fan is a, to put it mildly, serious time commitment (not to mention wife/gf aggro).

Garv - 
G-Hands - 

Human nature.  The more someone or something succeeds, the more people there are who want it to fail.  Dana used to be golden, but the SOPA thing, coupled with his ever-increasing douchebag attitude, has turned off a lot of fans. 

You think hes turning off a percentage more fans now than before, or simply theres a helluva lot more fans to turn off? Outside of SOPA, I feel that White has not changed his tune very much over the years. Sure, hes gotten a little more savvy..but hardly has evolved into a slick talking politician.

runster - 
Kirik - In the 90s one of the very few non fighters to make a bunch of money in this space said to me, "as long as people in this sport think you are one of them, they love you, but as soon as they think you are better than them, they hate you." Everyone hated him :-)

very common with a lot of things.

the bigger/better someone get the more people you find that want them to fail.

But why would so called fans of mma want them to fail? UFC is the sport right now, its one thing to not like Dana, thats fine but to want to see him and the UFC fail doesnt make sense if you are a fan of this sport.

Thats like saying I dont like the NFL commissioner so i hope the NFL goes under.

Thing is you'd never see a single football fan say that,I mean literally, not one single football fan would ever say that but it seems alot of mma fans want this.

they think Bellator or another org would take its place and be even bigger but does anyone see that happening?