Did 14 strict pullups...

I'm 6ft 1 240lbs. Probably around 15% bodyfat.

Actually did them with a parallel grip/palms facing each other about shoulder width apart.

I think i should be able to get to 20 strict reps at a bodyweight of about 230+lbs.

I also did 22 dips and havent done them in quite a while.. gonna shoot for 30.

I'm 38 and lift 2-3 times a week doing full body workouts much like those recommended by Ken Leistner, only taking my sweet time between exercises and find myself doing drop sets a lot of the time.

Started adding the pullups a couple weeks ago and do them once or twice a week.

Just sayin... Phone Post 3.0

Cool story, brah. Phone Post 3.0

Read an article before that said drop 10% your body weight and you will double the amount of pullups you can do. Phone Post 3.0

Hey Badmonkey,

Nice work!!! Can't say that I am really surprised, you're a beast.

TAKU

BTW...shoot me an e-mail. when you can. strengthonline@yahoo.com

Well, that ties my best with that grip.

I'm thinking 20 in strict form would be something I could strive for in the gym without killing myself... getting older is a bitch.

I found this grip feels fantastic, where as the standard pullup always gave me shoulder issues (have a wierd left shoulder injury). I was doing chin ups over the years and the last couple times I tried getting back into them I ended up with really fucked up pain in my left elbow.

Gymnastics rings have always felt great..

Hey Taku,

Will get in touch soon. Hope things are going well out there. Phone Post 3.0

Yep, rings are parallel bars are the way to go.

Badmonley,

Sounds good brother. Right back at you. Hope things are going smooth on the transition. I'll look forward to hearing from you soon.

TAKU

P.S. I've heard absolutely ZERO from PK since his return...???

Interesting

I had left shoulder surgery in 2007 and I find that standard pullups also give me shoulder issues, whereas neutral grip feels fantastic.

The neutral grip can be applied to all pressing movements with the right bar or dumbells and alleviates all kindza shoulder problems. Phone Post 3.0

I weigh about 215 and have always struggled to get past 10. No idea how to get through the plateau Phone Post 3.0

Weighed in at 240lbs today... I will go for another max rep set on Friday.

I've been doing a ladder 3 days a week... 1 rep then rest 1 minute, 2 reps then rest 1 minute. .. etc. I make it up to 8 and cant get past 5 on the set thereafter.

The last couple sessions last week I would ladder to 8 and then up to 7 then 6 .. etc adding more volume to the session.

Havent done any pulling movements since Friday, but I think I over did it the last few weeks... I'm hoping to get 16 to 20 reps in strict form.

We shall see... Phone Post 3.0

start adding weight ? what is everyone's thoughts on this ? I am 165ish and like to add 20-60 pounds for different rep ranges Phone Post 3.0

I think adding weight is a great idea. I'll start doing that next week. Phone Post 3.0

Hey Badmonkey,

Good work. Still hoping to hear from you. e-mail me when you get a moment.

TAKU

Adding weight can be good, but be careful of your elbows. I got obsessed with weighted pullups/chinups at one point and ended up with "golfer's elbow" so bad that I had nerve issues/numbness/atrophy in my hands and severe pain that was so bad that I couldn't even simply hang from a bar...been dealing with this shit for years and while it has now become a manageable problem, I still have recurring issues from time to time.

I had that problem until I stuck to hammer grip... regular chins fucked my elbow up. Phone Post 3.0

Do you guys think some people are more genetically predisposed to pullups, similar to short arm barrel chested dudes being able to bench more easier?

I can do anywhere from 8-10 strict form chinups, 7-8 pullups.  I'm 220, probably could lose about 15 lbs if I cared. But even when I was 180lb playing bball in HS and college I still couldn't more than I can now.  I'm not saying I can't improve, but it's not an exercise that comes easy to me.

Gave it my all and did 15... went all put and had absolutely norhing left for #16 - even tried to kip up there but I was done.

Will add weight starting next week. Phone Post 3.0

sczott52 - 

Do you guys think some people are more genetically predisposed to pullups, similar to short arm barrel chested dudes being able to bench more easier?

I can do anywhere from 8-10 strict form chinups, 7-8 pullups.  I'm 220, probably could lose about 15 lbs if I cared. But even when I was 180lb playing bball in HS and college I still couldn't more than I can now.  I'm not saying I can't improve, but it's not an exercise that comes easy to me.

If you aren't especially strong at doing rows or any type of pulling movements you're probably going to struggle with a high number of strict pull ups with any body type. 2 years ago when I was around 180lbs my best was 13, now at 205lbs I've hit 18 twice. What has helped me is alternating dumbbell rows and kroc rows in training, they seem to not beat me up nearly as much as chins do while still improving my overall chin numbers.

Leigh mentioned this above too so I'll second that CAT training for chins is great, just make sure you're activating the hell out of your lats or you'll just burn your arms out.