Did 2 month at Chinnarach muay thai in Koh Phangan

Just finished 2 month at Chinnarach muay thai in Koh Phangan. The gym is owned and run by Master Chin, which was both Lumpinee and Rajadamnern champ between 1999-2001. In Thailand he is known as King of the South. Best experience ever. Highly recommend it. AMA

How big are the classes usually ? How were the classes structured ? How was the area around the camp ? Could you walk anywhere for food etc ? Where did you stay ? 

Thanks

Did you end up fighting ?

dtom417 -

How big are the classes usually ? How were the classes structured ? How was the area around the camp ? Could you walk anywhere for food etc ? Where did you stay ? 

Thanks

The classes were usually small. 10-15 students and 4-5 trainers. Sometimes we had groups of tourists join the classes. But they would train seperatly with one of the coaches and learn the very basics. I really enjoyed having smaller classes. Got more personal attention by the trainers. There are other gyms on the island but the have to big classes. 30-40 in the same size gym as Chinnarach gym. To crowded eventhougj they have 10 or so trainers. 

Training 8.30-10.30 and 16-18. Running is optional, but if you want to fight it is a must. 30-60 min jog before training is standard. 

Structure of training is usully 

15 min skipping w heav rope

Group stretch

1-2 rounds shadow box

1-2 rounds jump knees on bag(torture)

3 rounds pads w trainer(doesnt sound much but absolutely is).

3 rounds bags

3 rounds technical parring or block/counter drills

For fighters 30 min wrestling.Thais are very good at hand fighting and sweeps in the clinch wrestling. I wrestle greco back home and can tell you the thais are high level.

Training 6 days/week. Sunday off.

I lived in a dorm on site. Also have affordable bungalows on site. Around 8 foreign fighters lived on site. All the trainers with families. 5 min walk to town. Lots of restaurants and markets. Very cheap. Stir fried veg w chicken and rice around 1 euro.

After training the fighters usually went to the nearby beach(2 min walk). Chilled for a while then off to the market for lunch. Some guys had food on site w the trainers.

Mostly french, italian and other europeans and russians. No americans for some reason. Good mix of elite fighters, beginners, girls etc. 

Bbq on saturdays. Everyone brings food and we make bbq. Sometimes go out together. Days off usually take our bikes to a remote beach.

Good place to meet girls/guys. Many new couples met at the gym.

Overall great experience. Going back end of year.

dtom417 -

I am reaching 40. Done martial arts since 13 years old. Competed in taekwondo, boxing, bjj, grappling and greco/freestyle. Didnt have intention to fight, but that quickly changed :-)

Trainers wanted me to fight. I will  be back end of the year and stay longer and get a couple of fights.

BigMovie -
dtom417 -

I am reaching 40. Done martial arts since 13 years old. Competed in taekwondo, boxing, bjj, grappling and greco/freestyle. Didnt have intention to fight, but that quickly changed :-)

Trainers wanted me to fight. I will  be back end of the year and stay longer and get a couple of fights.

I'm 44 and I'm going to Thailand in October to train in a camp and hopefully fight once . I was looking at other gyms but Chinnarach sounds like it might be a good fit . 

Is their enough to do on the island to keep you from getting bored when you aren't training ? Does the gym have a shop for gloves , wraps , etc ?

dtom417 -
BigMovie -
dtom417 -

I'm 44 and I'm going to Thailand in October to train in a camp and hopefully fight once . I was looking at other gyms but Chinnarach sounds like it might be a good fit . 

Is their enough to do on the island to keep you from getting bored when you aren't training ? Does the gym have a shop for gloves , wraps , etc ?

There's plenty to do on the island. Depends of course what you like to do. You have the hyped fullmoon parties. Fun if you are 20 and like to party. To be honest, if you train twice a day, you wont have much energy for doing stuff. Fighter life is quite monotonous. Train, eat, sleep, train, eat, sleep. The nature is wonderful. Lots of hiking trails, mountains, beaches. Good western food restaurants when you get tired of eating rice :-)

Have some places where we watched UFC live on sunday morning.

But the best thing is the trainers. Billy is uniqum. Top 10 at both Lumpinee and Rajadamnern for 5 years straight. Pro boxer, top ranked in WBC Asia. Master Chin. Muay thai superstar on the island. Fight name was King of the South. Eveyone important on the island knows him. His english is decent and he has some crazy stories from his days in Bangkok. His friends promotes fights on the island, mainland and also Bangkok so getting you a fight wont be a problem. 

They train a bit different from the western MT gyms. Heavy emphasis on timing and balance. You hear the trainers go balan balan all the time.  

Sounds great good for you for going.