Did Faber underperform? or is Cruz just that good?

Wow!

Clean sweep for the Domi8er!

I didn't see that coming! I feel like Faber held back and he looked timid compared to his usual aggressive approach and his entry on combinations was slow.

Excellent job by Dominick and I hope he continues to stay healthy! He looked a lot sharper than against Dillashaw. Phone Post 3.0

He's 37.

Cruz is 31.

That six years makes a hell of a difference. When Faber beat Cruz he was entering his prime and Cruz was a young neophyte. Today, Cruz is entering his prime and Faber is in the twilight of his career - frankly, one's skills have improved and the other's have diminished.

That's not disrespect. That's Father Time. Phone Post 3.0

Hard to tell. The reach advantage is a styles-makes-fight thingy as well.

Age plays a factor but this version of Cruz would beat any version of Faber. He is untouchable and seems to have developed power. Phone Post 3.0

Imo, faber hasn't evolved at all in 5 years.. A little bit with bang then he regressed back into the amazing grappler who just throws one heavy punch and backs away . I think if faber was at a camp where he didn't coach , but had legit coaches coaching him , he'd been a lot better off Phone Post 3.0

Dom is better everywhere, literally everywhere. His biggest opponent is himself Phone Post 3.0

No love is the antidote Phone Post 3.0

Both. Urijah couldn't perform to his potential due to how good Dom is Phone Post 3.0

to answer your question directly DOM is that much better.

Malvert the Janitor - He's 37.

Cruz is 31.

That six years makes a hell of a difference. When Faber beat Cruz he was entering his prime and Cruz was a young neophyte. Today, Cruz is entering his prime and Faber is in the twilight of his career - frankly, one's skills have improved and the other's have diminished.

i was gonna point that out too. statistically, fighters peak at 30

but yeah faber didnt go after him much either this time

Malvert the Janitor - He's 37.

Cruz is 31.

Voted up this was my exact breakdown in another thread. Phone Post 3.0

CaliKush - Imo, faber hasn't evolved at all in 5 years.. A little bit with bang then he regressed back into the amazing grappler who just throws one heavy punch and backs away . I think if faber was at a camp where he didn't coach , but had legit coaches coaching him , he'd been a lot better off Phone Post 3.0
Faber couldn't be aggressive because every time he did Dom would slip and pop him back with those crazy lateral hooks. Phone Post 3.0

Cruz looked worse than usual. He looked very gassed for most of the fight.

Faber underperformed for sure. He didn't do anything. Even when Cruz came in, Faber wouldn't punch or clinch, he'd back off. If they were near the fence, he'd back off. He barely threw anything.

I thought Cruz looked great, he seemed to let go more and pushed the fight a lot more than I've seen him in the past Phone Post 3.0

Faber is older Phone Post 3.0

orcus -

Cruz looked worse than usual. He looked very gassed for most of the fight.

Faber underperformed for sure. He didn't do anything. Even when Cruz came in, Faber wouldn't punch or clinch, he'd back off. If they were near the fence, he'd back off. He barely threw anything.

That's what I was thinking, esp since Faber said he wouldn't be backing up this fight like last time they fought. Maybe those punches did effect Faber. Phone Post 3.0

Im 40. The slide from early 30s to late is seismic. Everyone i train with will say the same thing. Cruz has definitely evolved but Faber is definitely losing to father time the most. Plus he has A LOT of miles on him... Phone Post 3.0

Best version of Dom so far. Phone Post 3.0

Faber needed to ditch Master Thong for this fight. He did not. Same fight happened again. Def. underperformed. Phone Post 3.0

Faber's problem is that he relies a lot on athleticism, specifically speed. So when he runs into someone who can match him in terms of athleticism he comes up short (compared to someone like say werdum who isnt the best athlete in the division but makes up for it with great technique when he isnt fighting stipe). Phone Post 3.0