Did fedor snap his bone?

"I'm sure you guys will argue semantics ad nauseum with respect to what defines 'broken', but most submissions attack the connective tissue in joints, not the bone itself."

Correct. Silvia was the exception not the rule.

jbc, are you saying that Mir's Armbar was incorrect?

Cuz that fucking Thing looked like it did the Job!

lol @ 99 out of 99 times.

I think he would armbar him 103 out of 103 times.

Ausgepicht -

Yes, Mir's armbar was incorrect - he was focusing the leverage on the forearm and not the elbow. He was arguably (and characteristically) overcommitting to a failed submission, and was likely as surprised as anyone with the outcome. I don't think Mir would be able to replicate the breakage if he attempted.

I'm saying that Mir breaking Sylvia's forearm was a rare instance of the culmination of a number of factors including: Mir's strength, Sylvia's long arms, Mir's weight on the arm, Sylvia rotating his arm and pulling, Mir's cup focusing the force right against Sylvia's forearm bone.

In that sense, it's not really a good example (in my opinion, of course) of the exception discounting the rule.

Can you think of any submissions which are designed to break bones, and routinely do?

submissions are based on applying pressure to the weak spots in our skeletal structure (i.e. the joints)....although with the stregnth of todays mma athlete and the force they can apply directly to bone, them things is gonna snap pretty often

BM21

submissions are based on applying pressure to the weak spots in our skeletal structure (i.e. the joins)....although with the stregnth of todays mma athlete and the force they can apply directly to bone, them things is gonna snap pretty often

BM21