Did google's new security break Chrome?

Ok, so I recently updated my free AVG and to the new Chrome 57. Am still on an old Windows 7 (yes, I know it's old...shut up).

Now, Chrome pretty much keeps me from going to half the sites I try to go to. Keeps giving me the error message "NET::ERR_CERT_WEAK_SIGNATURE_ALGORITHM"

In looking around, it's due to google's new requirement for security certificates.

Sometimes I get that error, can click "advanced", and it'll let me proceed to a site anyway. Other times, it just prohibits me completely...and these are from sites you know have their security on point - including both facebook and google's own product support forums.

Looking around google's support forums (using Opera), it looks like a shitload of people have had issue with this. Some have found workarounds when they were using Linux/Ubuntu. But if you've done all the "usual" stuff (making sure everything was up to date, turning off anti-virus, re-installing Chrome, restarting your system, trying to access sites via an incognito window, etc), Google's only advice seems to be "contact the website administrator and have them up their security".

Yeah, I'll contact Facebook and various of google's own properties to get right on that.

Has anyone else had trouble with this? If so, did you find a fix?

If not, what browser should I use instead? Firefox used to be good back in the day, but holy gosh it got slow. Opera is the only other one I have installed now and I'm not a fan.