Did Margot Shoot Francis On Purpose or....

...was she really trying to save him from the wounded charging buffalo and miss?

Z NEDCMK1 - 

Margot shot him on purpose. He was always weak, always a coward. She was well beyond her prime and wouldn't be able to replace the life she had with Francis; she was worried he found some manhood on the hunt. She was losing her power over him and panicked. He might leave her when they got back.

Wilson definitely fucked her.

This.

Francis, who had experienced personal,growth on the trip would have either left her, or beat her for being an unfaithful shrew.

I think she blasted him on purpose, or at least didn't try to not shoot him anyways.

I remember having the discussion with a girl who was doing an English major when I was in university. She figured Margot made a terrible mistake. Her biggest argument was that the narrator of the story said that Margot was trying to shoot the buffalo, and that she threw herself to the ground and cried afterwards. Chicks are always going to defend chicks...

I picture it more like Margot probably did take aim at the buffalo but then aimed at Francis and thought to herself "I could just pull the trigger" and without consciously thinking about it pulled the trigger. Blam!

Even Wilson thinks she did it on purpose and that man had seen a lot of killing and killers.

It was ZNED who got me thinking about this. He made reference to it yesterday and it's been on my mind ever since.

I'm sure I have it in a collection of short stories or something somewhere. I looked on my bookshelf last night but couldn't find it. It must be in one of my many boxes/totes of books in the basement. I'm going to find it this weekend.

I ended up pulling a couple Palahniuk books from the back of the bookshelf that I haven't read in a few years during my search. Bookshelf searches are always an adventure that usually prove worthwhile.

Margot deliberatly married a guy she could treat like shit.

Her marriage was defined by her treating Francis with disrespect.

When Francis experienced personal growth, she killed him....its probable that she had previously killed that growth to keep him in a position where he was an emotionaly abused cuckold.

She is a truely horrible person.

What story is this?

Z NEDCMK1 -
Khun Kao - What story is this?

The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber.

It's a Hemingway short story. Like NED said, it's not one that gets mentioned in a lot of Hemingway conversations, but it's a great read.

I've always thought the title was very clever.

effinggoof - Margot deliberatly married a guy she could treat like shit.

Her marriage was defined by her treating Francis with disrespect.

When Francis experienced personal growth, she killed him....its probable that she had previously killed that growth to keep him in a position where he was an emotionaly abused cuckold.

She is a truely horrible person.

this