Did my first (restorative) yoga class today

part of my rehab for my back issues (2 bulged disks), I wanted to try yoga to strengthen my core and increase flexibility.  This was a restorative yoga class, so mostly stretches vs posing.  Im not quite sure the difference, since Ive never done yoga before but suffice it to say I was the youngest in the class by a long shot lol. 

I feel good, my hips feel very loose.  I enjoy it and hope it helps in my recovery.  Funny thing - I felt nauseous during most of it.  one time I almost wanted to get up and go throw up.  Not sure if it was because I didnt have any breakfast or what.

anyone else do this? 

I did a restorative class and a hot yoga class. I'm not injured or anything so you're definitely in a different boat than me but I really enjoyed it. Made me realize how much control I DON'T have with my balance and breathing and flexibility.

the breathing was the hardest part lol

been thinking of doing a hot yoga class too

I told ya about my Bikrim experience. I think you will dig it. Phone Post 3.0

I've been doing ashtanga yoga at a hot studio for the past four months, 3 to 5 times per week on my lunch breaks. It has been amazing. Ashtanga is a great workout too. Phone Post 3.0

Be careful, Yoga may or may not benefit you depending on the back issue(s). It hurt mine further.

i have two bulged disks in the last two vertabrae.  what was your problem HS? 

cycklops - I did a restorative class and a hot yoga class. I'm not injured or anything so you're definitely in a different boat than me but I really enjoyed it. Made me realize how much control I DON'T have with my balance and breathing and flexibility.
That last sentence completely sums up yoga for me. I feel like an uncoordinated drunk puppy with Alzheimer's. The struggle is real. Phone Post 3.0

Jack and BEF- can y'all elaborate more? My brother has been trying to get me to a bikram yoga class. Phone Post 3.0

Well Im not familiar with all types, just what I went to.  My class was restorative so it was more focused on stretching with minimal poses.  On the yoga scale, its pretty low intensity.  Im not looking for a workout per se, I get enough of that, so the flexibility and core engagement is what attracted me.  Not sure if its just a good day today or what, but I feel very good.  

Ill likely look to ramp it up and do more intense yoga but for now its what Im looking for. 

nick1302 - Jack and BEF- can y'all elaborate more? My brother has been trying to get me to a bikram yoga class. Phone Post 3.0
Bikram yoga is a series of postures that are performed in a hot room. Each class is always the same postures, in the exact same order.

Ashtanga is similar in that it's the same sequence done each time, except that it doesn't need to be done in a hot room. Ashtanga is very active, in the sense that between most postures you do a sequence consisting of a plank, a lowered pushup, an upward facing dog posture, and then a downward facing dog posture. It also flows quite fast from posture to posture.

Then you will have power yoga and vinyasa flow yoga classes, which are often (at least in my experience) ashtanga based. This means that you'll do ashtanga postures, but not necessarily in the order you would do them in a regular ashtanga class. You will also do postures from the more advanced ashtanga series. Most ashtanga classes will only follow the primary series.

The slower paced yoga classes are often referred to as yin yoga. You can hold poses for up to five minutes in these classes, as opposed to five breaths forost ashtanga poses.

I'm sure there are other types, but this is what I have experience with. Best advice is to try a bunch of different classes and see what you like best, if you're interested in giving yoga a try. Phone Post 3.0

pbody -
nick1302 - Jack and BEF- can y'all elaborate more? My brother has been trying to get me to a bikram yoga class. Phone Post 3.0
Bikram yoga is a series of postures that are performed in a hot room. Each class is always the same postures, in the exact same order.

Ashtanga is similar in that it's the same sequence done each time, except that it doesn't need to be done in a hot room. Ashtanga is very active, in the sense that between most postures you do a sequence consisting of a plank, a lowered pushup, an upward facing dog posture, and then a downward facing dog posture. It also flows quite fast from posture to posture.

Then you will have power yoga and vinyasa flow yoga classes, which are often (at least in my experience) ashtanga based. This means that you'll do ashtanga postures, but not necessarily in the order you would do them in a regular ashtanga class. You will also do postures from the more advanced ashtanga series. Most ashtanga classes will only follow the primary series.

The slower paced yoga classes are often referred to as yin yoga. You can hold poses for up to five minutes in these classes, as opposed to five breaths forost ashtanga poses.

I'm sure there are other types, but this is what I have experience with. Best advice is to try a bunch of different classes and see what you like best, if you're interested in giving yoga a try. Phone Post 3.0
I should also add that the poses or postures for bikram and ashtanga are different. The similarity is that they each have a sequence that's done the same every time. Phone Post 3.0

great insight thanks!  ^ 

pbody -
pbody -

I should also add that the poses or postures for bikram and ashtanga are different. The similarity is that they each have a sequence that's done the same every time. Phone Post 3.0
Thanks! VU Phone Post 3.0

I started with Hatha, switched to Ashtanga because I felt I wanted more of a workout, but have now gone back to Hatha.

Hatha has many of the same poses/postures as in Ashtanga, but held for much longer, so that you get a really deep stretch. It doesn't follow a set pattern, the instructor decides on the positions as they see fit.

I don't find Hatha as physically taxing as Ashtanga (though holding some of the warrior poses for extended periods really burns the legs), but it has increased my flexibility. I found that when I initially switched from Hatha to Ashtanga, I actually lost much of the flexibility I had gained. It has also helped my back greatly, as the slower pace allows for the back muscles to release much more gently.

James

My back and groin are tweaked.

I use yoga to reset and alleviate tightness and focus on breathing.

I do hot yoga. Phone Post 3.0

BigEyedFish - 

i have two bulged disks in the last two vertabrae.  what was your problem HS? 

Bulging disc, and fracture. Forward bending made it worse, as did hyperextension. I was in bed for 2 weeks after a gentle yoga class.
Try it and see how you do. Not a lot of options other than trying to strengthen and build endurance.

Been doing hot yoga since blue belt, it really saved my jitz career and keeps me on the mat. reccomend it for any grapplers who also work a desk job 

I've probably attended 75 yoga classes.  Honestly, my practice really improved when I stopped attending classes.  It allowed me to focus much more on what I am doing and less on what I'm supposed to be doing.

Practice on your own.  Consider how things feel.  Think.  Move.  Meditate.