Did Randy Couture abuse TRT?

He was one of the first guys to be mentioned to be undergoing TRT. It was Joe Rogan that talked about it in an interview in 2007, the year Randy came out of retirement and won the HW belt. It was hidden under the rug imo after that. Joe said it before UFC 74

"Joe Rogan, the UFC’s color commentator, added fuel to this fire when he did a guest spot on ESPNEWS to promote the Pay-Per-View event by claiming that Couture had undergone “hormone replacement therapy” and applauded what modern science could do for older fighters."

http://www.mmascoops.com/news.php?page=/193372059

Has he ever tested positive/over the limit?

Ok then.

Yeah we can set up arbitrary limits of what's "fair" and what's "unfair", but I think just subjecting oneself to TRT is the point. Who's to say Couture did it and got up to 'normal' levels, which would be normal for a 25 year old, but are what he would have never naturally reached at 47, isn't that worth noting?

This is getting so STUPID!!!!!

Most of you guys have no idea what you are talking about when you start talking about TRT.

There is no NORMAL for a 25 year old as compared to a 47 year old. There is only a range. Some doctors give a free test range of anywhere from 300 to 800 as being "normal" (with 300 be baseline low and 800 being base line high). There are tons of 47 year old men who are within that baseline the same as a 25 year old.

There are legit reasons a person is on TRT. If their levels are below 300 many medical professionals believe that this can cause Depression, severe Fatigue, loss of mental focus, etc..

I have been on TRT for 10 years now. The difference it has made in my life is incredible.

Should we keep fighters from fighting who are diabetic??? There insuline is not the same as mine so they are cheating by injecting right?? What about fighters who have had surgery to smooth out there bones in their face so that they don't cut as easy? Nick Diaz had this done to his eye brow area (remove scar tissue and reshape I believe) is he cheating?? He cuts easier and might lose because of a cut. Now he does not cut as easy....

I'm playing devils advocate here, but I think you get the point.

Can you cheat by using TRT? Yes of course you can, but any fighter that is on it should be subjected to RANDOM testing if they truly believe they need it IMO...

Randy "The Natural*" Couture

KidJustice -  This is getting so STUPID!!!!!

Most of you guys have no idea what you are talking about when you start talking about TRT.

There is no NORMAL for a 25 year old as compared to a 47 year old. There is only a range. Some doctors give a free test range of anywhere from 300 to 800 as being "normal" (with 300 be baseline low and 800 being base line high). There are tons of 47 year old men who are within that baseline the same as a 25 year old.

There are legit reasons a person is on TRT. If their levels are below 300 many medical professionals believe that this can cause Depression, severe Fatigue, loss of mental focus, etc..

I have been on TRT for 10 years now. The difference it has made in my life is incredible.

Should we keep fighters from fighting who are diabetic??? There insuline is not the same as mine so they are cheating by injecting right?? What about fighters who have had surgery to smooth out there bones in their face so that they don't cut as easy? Nick Diaz had this done to his eye brow area (remove scar tissue and reshape I believe) is he cheating?? He cuts easier and might lose because of a cut. Now he does not cut as easy....

Can you cheat by using TRT? Yes of course you can, but any fighter that is on it should be subjected to RANDOM testing if they truly believe they need it IMO...

Great Post.
Most of the nit wits that are always talking about it, dont actually understand it.

Typical UG'ers

Photo

Mark Nolan - Getty Images

"I think everyone is really of the same opinion as I am, if they want to admit it or not. Stuff like this is not easy to talk about. We're talking about friends and colleagues of mine. They look at me and they hear me say these things, and they're like, 'You know you're the only guy that doesn't do it, right?' And I'm like, I know. It's a catch-22 for me. I believe so strongly in fair play and all these things, and on the other side, it's people you know and people you look up to, legends of the sport. They've been involved with stuff like that. I guess I shouldn't be so outspoken because I have so many friends and colleagues and so many people I respect in this sport that have gotten involved with stuff like TRT and hormone replacement."

no doubt he probably had the neccessary requirements to undergo it but its possible he went to town on that shit.

' The Natural '

I think the cheating part is the deal breaker for me and where your comparison to insulin falls apart. You can't gain an advantage by using excessive insulin; in fact, it will kill you. Also, you need insulin to live, which is not the case with TRT.

But you know I have mad respect for you, John.

RANDY ISN'T A CHEATER BECAUSE THE COMMISSION SAYS HE ISN'T

Use and abuse are different. If someone is below normal levels, doctors will give them test. If they are using TRT and not abusing it, then their levels should be fine during the testing process. Elevated levels show signs of not only use, but abuse.

They even made the words different to help those who can't understand this. Use doesn't have the 'a' or the 'b' that abuse has. See how this works?

ohhfiddlesticks - Yeah we can set up arbitrary limits of what's "fair" and what's "unfair", but I think just subjecting oneself to TRT is the point. Who's to say Couture did it and got up to 'normal' levels, which would be normal for a 25 year old, but are what he would have never naturally reached at 47, isn't that worth noting?

people's bones also begin to degrade as they get older. should supplements to shore up bone strength also be illegal for older people, since they are defying the natural advancement of age with science?

itchie - Use and abuse are different.

Bingo. irishrottie's intention for this thread was made clear in one word.

Guys, being 47 and having the test levels of a 25 year old is ABSOLUTELY NOT the same as being 25.

trust me, if randy could just be 25 he would...Hormonally you might be the same, able to hold onto muscle, but the wear and tear on the body that a 47 yr old MMA fighter/Greco roman wrestler cannot be erased by TRT. Will not make you as fast or agile as you were at 25 either. Won't repair a glass jaw.

Well, lets look at the overall situation. We have a group of incredibly conditioned athletes claiming they need horomone/testosterone replacement. This is because of 2 things:

1) Some part of their training/lifestyle is destroying their long-term health.

2) They are cheating. 

If the claim is 1), the UFC and Athletic Boards/Commision should investigate what is occuring that causes all these guys to need outside help.

DSaint - <blockquote style="background-color: rgb(238, 238, 221);">HexRei - <blockquote style="background-color: rgb(238, 238, 221);">ohhfiddlesticks - Yeah we can set up arbitrary limits of what's "fair" and what's "unfair", but I think just subjecting oneself to TRT is the point. Who's to say Couture did it and got up to 'normal' levels, which would be normal for a 25 year old, but are what he would have never naturally reached at 47, isn't that worth noting?

people's bones also begin to degrade as they get older. should supplements to shore up bone strength also be illegal for older people, since they are defying the natural advancement of age with science?
 This god damn "so should VITAMINS BE ILLEGAL? SHOULD PROTEIN BE ILLEGAL?" argument is so, so lame. Yes, vitamins, steroids. Very, very similar in their enhancement of the human body aren't they?

the point is that age is definable, medically. its effects are known and observed like many other bodily dysfunctions. it's quite simple- if you can treat other dysfunctions, there is an argument to be made that age should be legally treatable too.

most of these "TRT EXCUSE GUYS" popped positive, thats not TRT, that juicing.

If you test under or at acceptable levels then you arent juicing, peroid.

why is this so hard to get?

ok well i dunno what happene with the quote code there but i think you know who said what.

Clay Morrow - Please list these "contributing factors" that now exist in comparison to say 20 years ago....
ChokeEmOut - 

Ouch someone talking with some knowledge on the subject..watch out man..you're gonna get flamed by ignorance. haha

I get a laugh out of people saying "normal range"...it's all guess work and like you said one doc will call you low while the next will say you're fine.

Bottom line is that lower testosterone is very common in todays males as opposed to the past. There are alot of contributing factors for that as well but that's a complete seperate discussion.

Endocrine disruptors. Many more in the environment than in the past