Did Randy Couture abuse TRT?

frumpy - 
Clay Morrow - Please list these "contributing factors" that now exist in comparison to say 20 years ago....
ChokeEmOut - 
KidJustice -  This is getting so STUPID!!!!!

Most of you guys have no idea what you are talking about when you start talking about TRT.

There is no NORMAL for a 25 year old as compared to a 47 year old. There is only a range. Some doctors give a free test range of anywhere from 300 to 800 as being "normal" (with 300 be baseline low and 800 being base line high). There are tons of 47 year old men who are within that baseline the same as a 25 year old.

There are legit reasons a person is on TRT. If their levels are below 300 many medical professionals believe that this can cause Depression, severe Fatigue, loss of mental focus, etc..

I have been on TRT for 10 years now. The difference it has made in my life is incredible.

Should we keep fighters from fighting who are diabetic??? There insuline is not the same as mine so they are cheating by injecting right?? What about fighters who have had surgery to smooth out there bones in their face so that they don't cut as easy? Nick Diaz had this done to his eye brow area (remove scar tissue and reshape I believe) is he cheating?? He cuts easier and might lose because of a cut. Now he does not cut as easy....

I'm playing devils advocate here, but I think you get the point.

Can you cheat by using TRT? Yes of course you can, but any fighter that is on it should be subjected to RANDOM testing if they truly believe they need it IMO...

Ouch someone talking with some knowledge on the subject..watch out man..you're gonna get flamed by ignorance. haha

I get a laugh out of people saying "normal range"...it's all guess work and like you said one doc will call you low while the next will say you're fine.

Bottom line is that lower testosterone is very common in todays males as opposed to the past. There are alot of contributing factors for that as well but that's a complete seperate discussion.

Endocrine disruptors. Many more in the environment than in the past
Much more in our environment these days that is effecting the endocrine system. I do agree with this. Chemicals in our food, cell phones, microwave tech, etc/

drives me crazy with these pocket endocronologist

tons of 47 year old man at 700 nanograms testostorone

tons of 20 years olds at 350 naturally

250-1000 is normal for all adult males there is no age on it

TRT should not be allowed in sports straight up.

Fine for someone cruising into older age, or a younger person with a medical problem.

But it leave it out of competition.

Atheletes have always had natural differences, some are stronger, some are faster, some are taller, better eye/hand, etc..

One of those natural differences is Test levels, both neo natal exposure, pre-puberty, puberty and into adulthood.

Do you feel that all athletes deserve to be 6' tall? Should those athletes not 6' tall be given growth hormone, or some sort of prosthetics to reach 6',,, of course not.

So why should athletes be allowed to up Test for competition when this level is a naturally occurring and variable thing.

It's just as foolish as saying everyone 'should' meet a height or weight or strength requirement.

Once again, no probs using TRT for health and wellbeing, BIG problem using it for Competitive athletes.

JackFunk - One of those natural differences is Test levels, both neo natal exposure, pre-puberty, puberty and into adulthood.

Do you feel that all athletes deserve to be 6' tall? Should those athletes not 6' tall be given growth hormone, or some sort of prosthetics to reach 6',,, of course not.

So why should athletes be allowed to up Test for competition when this level is a naturally occurring and variable thing.

It's just as foolish as saying everyone 'should' meet a height or weight or strength requirement.

Once again, no probs using TRT for health and wellbeing, BIG problem using it for Competitive athletes.

highschool athletes are already doing it, with very little testing and in some cases urging by coaches

Just to toss a little more sand in the air...  the pont about insulin is perfectly valid, just not of the right reason.  

Insuliln is the most anabolic of all hormones.  Manuipulation of insulin levels coupled with generous Growth Hormone use, not anabolic steroids, is at the core of advanced bodybuilding.  Since they occur naturally in the body, and have a half life measured in hours, not days, testing is problematic.

K-Dub-"T" -  Has he ever tested positive/over the limit?

Ok then.

lol

irishrottie - 

Ok then.

lol

I'm confused.

Randerson Silva?

HexRei - 
irishrottie - 

Ok then.

lol

I'm confused.

Randerson Silva?

Just because someone hasn't tested positive doesn't mean he has never used. There are lots of examples... And hell, some people used that to Overeem as well. "He has never tested positive so dont claim he is abuses steroids!"

But yeah. 

Dont know about Randy though. He did look pretty damn good for his age. But did he abuse? Hard to say. I guess we will never know

This was taken when he was near 50 years old

But yeah, there is lightning and all that..

Bit OT, but is TRT allowed in other places than in US now? I think US banned it, but if they hold cards in Europe, Japan or Brazil, is TRT use allowed there?

J-Tee -  
Photo

Mark Nolan - Getty Images

"I think everyone is really of the same opinion as I am, if they want to admit it or not. Stuff like this is not easy to talk about. We're talking about friends and colleagues of mine. They look at me and they hear me say these things, and they're like, 'You know you're the only guy that doesn't do it, right?' And I'm like, I know. It's a catch-22 for me. I believe so strongly in fair play and all these things, and on the other side, it's people you know and people you look up to, legends of the sport. They've been involved with stuff like that. I guess I shouldn't be so outspoken because I have so many friends and colleagues and so many people I respect in this sport that have gotten involved with stuff like TRT and hormone replacement."

Beer and Hot Dogs

clone BJ penn

Of course Phone Post 3.0

"Randy Couture fought until he was 50, and you say he was clean? If the doctors prescribe you and you're on the limits, OK, I see no problem. If I need that one day, I will use TRT too." - Jose Aldo

Bet Randy was on EPO too

wow irish thanks for digging this up! VU

BJ was on the money way back in '11

Randy was all about the greens. No roids required when your snorting broccoli dust Phone Post 3.0

I think its interesting that the sport has been built by fighters juiced to the tits.

You work with the testosterone you were given. If you're testosterone drops so low that it affects you, time to get out of professional mixed martial arts. You don't get to artificially boost your testosterone back up to a normal/young guy's level. It really is that simple. Phone Post 3.0