Did Thanos take a huge risk?

So last night my 10 year old son and I are watching the Avengers Infinity movie and when it ends my son turns to me and says" Wow Dad, Thanos took a really big risk there when he snapped his fingers!"

I said "what do you mean?"

And he said, "The snap meant that half the universe would be wiped out and that it would be random. What if he had turned to dust himself after snapping?"

I never thought about that and maybe he was protected by the glove or something and we just missed it?

Did he really take a risk there or was he somehow immune?

IN for extremely geeky responses....,

You can tell how right after the snap the look on his face is basically like...'phew, I made it'. He included himself in the 50/50 odds of turning into dust.

saglv - 

You can tell how right after the snap the look on his face is basically like...'phew, I made it'. He included himself in the 50/50 odds of turning into dust.

Certainly possible. Also possible that Thanos did not include himself in the random 50%.

He did say it was completely random.

He had control (can include/exclude) people when he did the snap.

In the comics after he did the snap he spoke with his half brother and said he made sure their father was included in the snap

Thanos was resurrected by lady Death prior to all of this (whom he worships and is in love with, she only string him along as he is useful but ultimately rejects his advances towards her)

By Thanos attempting to correct what he perceives is a imbalance in the universe (more life than death) he is fulfilling Death's goal.

Whether this was a risk or not, is unlikely since he would want to safeguard the gauntlet and gems even after accomplishing his mission so as to ensure things were not returned to normal, so I doubt he included himself in this apparent gamble of destruction.

paw -
saglv - 

Certainly possible. Also possible that Thanos did not include himself in the random 50%.

If he could choose then why would he leave any superhero alive? 

I mean it would be a pretty huge oversight where the strongest being in the universe forgot to exclude himself.

William H Muncy -
paw -
saglv - 

here is a good encapsulation of the story inthe comics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw7h98F9xRY

iamarealamerican -
William H Muncy -
paw -
saglv - 

here is a good encapsulation of the story inthe comics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw7h98F9xRY

Thanks, I will give it a look when I get time. 

There’s something you guys have to know about Thanos that the movie universe hasn’t even touched, and I’m surprised at it. Thanos. Wants. To. Die. He loves Death (an actual female character in the Marvel universe), he wants to be with her and everything he does, he has a hope and a prayer that he will die, so that he can be with her. It’s a HUGE story arc in the comics. He didn’t care. He doesn’t care if he dies. That’s what makes him so deadly. 

He said he'd let Tony live so it doesn't sound 100% random

William H Muncy - 
paw -
saglv - 

You are overthinking it.  Thanos didn't care, just didn't include himself in the 50%.

Or it was simply PLOT.

PreachinJosh -

There’s something you guys have to know about Thanos that the movie universe hasn’t even touched, and I’m surprised at it. Thanos. Wants. To. Die. He loves Death (an actual female character in the Marvel universe), he wants to be with her and everything he does, he has a hope and a prayer that he will die, so that he can be with her. It’s a HUGE story arc in the comics. He didn’t care. He doesn’t care if he dies. That’s what makes him so deadly. 

Actually no the MCU is separate so that doesn’t have to be known or understood. His personality is modified pretty significantly from the comics. 

In for knowledge that is the likes of Matrix spoon kid.

He doesn’t care. He understands sacrifice for the greater good. We saw that in his dropping of Gamora. If he was part of the 50%...so be it.

He said it himself - the hardest choices require the strongest wills. 

He was literally willing to lose anything and everything, himself included, to bring balance to the universe. 

Stronghold - He said he'd let Tony live so it doesn't sound 100% random

He didn’t say that at all. He said ‘You have my respect, Stark. When I'm done, half of humanity will still be alive. I hope they remember you’. 

If anything I take it as he was about to kill Stark there and then. Someone intervened, Spiderman I think. 

Bigtrain2681 - 
Stronghold - He said he'd let Tony live so it doesn't sound 100% random

He didn’t say that at all. He said ‘You have my respect, Stark. When I'm done, half of humanity will still be alive. I hope they remember you’. 

If anything I take it as he was about to kill Stark there and then. Someone intervened, Spiderman I think. 

That was when Strange spoke up and said he'd give Thanos the time stone if he let Tony live.