Did The Departed predict war with China?

Movie came out in 2006

Martin Sheen's character at one point says to Leo, "We'll probably be at war with the Chinese in 20-odd years."

Will we?

Yes. No. Fuck, i don't know. Maybe?

Fuck, it’s not 2026 is it? I just woke up from a nap. How long have I been sleeping?

Modern China and its export driven economy is a US creation.  China imports 70% of its petroleum from the Middle East.  An effort to interdict China-flaged tankers in the Indian Ocean, out of range of their land-based aircraft and before they even reach the Straight of Meleca, would bring their economy to a halt.  

1 Like

Has any one ever known someone like the Mark Wahlberg character in real life? He seemed way to hot headed to ever be able to rise to any real position in a professional environment.

phydeau -

Modern China and its export driven economy is a US creation.  China imports 70% of its petroleum from the Middle East.  An effort to interdict China-flaged tankers in the Indian Ocean, out of range of their land-based aircraft and before they even reach the Straight of Meleca, would bring their economy to a halt.  

China is a paper tiger. Fake currency and a one child policy that makes it very hard to go to war.

Also, it has about 2 months worth of oil reserves. 

China cannot go to war with the USA unless Russia or another OPEC nation sells them oil.

1 Like

camal -
phydeau -

China is a paper tiger. Fake currency and a one child policy that makes it very hard to go to war.

Also, it has about 2 months worth of oil reserves. 

China cannot go to war with the USA unless Russia or another OPEC nation sells them oil.

The one child policy has changed a bit. You can have two kids if you were an only child.

CuddleBug - Has any one ever known someone like the Mark Wahlberg character in real life? He seemed way to hot headed to ever be able to rise to any real position in a professional environment.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe fuck yourself.