Did you lose any respect for Weidman?

I like Weidman.  That said I lost some respect for him after the fight because he didn't seem to care that the knees were legal.  I 100% understand that there isn't instant replay.  I don't know if it was okay for Dan to consult with Big John.  I think as a fighter you can complain and say hey I could have continued but to try and say he should have actually won or been a no contest on a technicality because the ref initially thought it was illegal is weak.  Personally I think Weidman was done and saved from punishment but how can I really know, just my thoughts.

Yeah, it's a pretty desperate and shitty attitude.

No but i'm glad he lost the fight. I don't think he faked being hurt going by the punch drunk chat with joe five minutes later. Sure, maybe he's whining a bit after but you can't expect a new yorker to not be a douche. He'll be back strong and go on another run

Gain respect for his acting skills.

Not really. 

It is a cut throat and short career as a fighter. When it came crunch time he elected to keep fighting but the commission were to blame for their decision making.

End of the day if I was rocked in a co main event in front of New York city I'd be milking the 5 minutes to get my wits back also.

No, he didn't do anything wrong. The ref screwed up by stopping the fight and creating controversy where there shouldn't have been any. In fairness to Dan the knee looked illegal and were a milisecond away from being so if Weidman's hand hadn't lifted up at the last moment. 

Now that he is appealing the decision I have.  That's weak.  He got lit up and he knew what was coming so he tried to get a DQ win when it looked possible. That was so transparently faggot-like that I couldn't believe that was Chris Weidman in there. I always thought he was a warrior. I picked him here when he went against Anderson the first (and second) time. I thought that he would be a dominant champion but when under pressure, he has been folding lately. 

Not much a fan of his after that fight.  Very weak bitch-type shit.  

da Vinci 81 -

No, he didn't do anything wrong. The ref screwed up by stopping the fight and creating controversy where there shouldn't have been any. In fairness to Dan the knee looked illegal and were a milisecond away from being so if Weidman's hand hadn't lifted up at the last moment. 

"The ref screwed up" followed by "the knee looked illegal"

So...you yourself thought the knee looked illegal, and you had the benefit of watching it from a better angle, zoomed in, and in slow motion...yet you say Dan 'screwed up' because of the call he made?

The only thing that needs to be fixed moving forward from this situation, is that instant replay cameras need to be ALLOWED in NY. The replay SAVED Mousasi from getting disqualified when he did nothing wrong. That replay allowed Dan to eventually make the RIGHT call when faced with a tough and close decision.

This would not have become as big of a deal as it was, if Weidman focused on fighting, rather than trying to game the situation by milking his injuries to the doctors to force a DQ. It's not Weidmans job to determine if a shot was illegal, it's his job to fight. It's not his corners job to determine if a shot was illegal, it's their job to coach their guy. It's on the referee and the comission to determine the legality of any given blow. And in the end, they made the right decision. The only mistake that was made from their point of view, was giving Weidman time to recover after determining the shot was indeed legal, but I think a lot of that has to do with 2 factors, one of which is largely responsisble because of Weidman. 1) Inexpereince by the comission on how to deal with emergency situations like that. 2) The doctors inability to make a quick decision. The first point will be fixed over time. The second point is the fault of Weidman, who was employing quite a bit of acting to give off the appearance that he was hurt and thus causing the doctor to have to stay in their longer and do more test and examinations to come to a conclusion which as she was determing what the outcome should be, is when everyone was notified that the knees were legal, at which Weidman began to freak out knowing he would get a tko loss, so he immediately cut out all the acting BS and tried to get the doctors to let him fight, but his earlier performance already sealed the deal for them.

Yes. He wasn't true and tried to use the rules for an easy way out both during the fight and after the knee. A good fighter but far from a warrior at heart.

Really disappointed in him. I thought he was better than that - trying to play the rules with the hands down and then trying to rest or get a DQ on Moose.

I'm still a fan though, but feel let down. If he had been honest and said "I'm fucked up and not seeing right and can't continue." I would have respected that. If he had said within 30 seconds to the ref "I'm good to go. Let's do this." the fight would have continued.

So yeah. Disappointed.

So this is pretty interesting.  Look at 1:15 of this video.  It appears both hands were down.  I said it when watching the fight and I will say it again Joe Rogan caused this replay business to happen.

zFugitive -
da Vinci 81 -

"The ref screwed up" followed by "the knee looked illegal"

So...you yourself thought the knee looked illegal, and you had the benefit of watching it from a better angle, zoomed in, and in slow motion...yet you say Dan 'screwed up' because of the call he made?

The only thing that needs to be fixed moving forward from this situation, is that instant replay cameras need to be ALLOWED in NY. The replay SAVED Mousasi from getting disqualified when he did nothing wrong. That replay allowed Dan to eventually make the RIGHT call when faced with a tough and close decision.

This would not have become as big of a deal as it was, if Weidman focused on fighting, rather than trying to game the situation by milking his injuries to the doctors to force a DQ. It's not Weidmans job to determine if a shot was illegal, it's his job to fight. It's not his corners job to determine if a shot was illegal, it's their job to coach their guy. It's on the referee and the comission to determine the legality of any given blow. And in the end, they made the right decision. The only mistake that was made from their point of view, was giving Weidman time to recover after determining the shot was indeed legal, but I think a lot of that has to do with 2 factors, one of which is largely responsisble because of Weidman. 1) Inexpereince by the comission on how to deal with emergency situations like that. 2) The doctors inability to make a quick decision. The first point will be fixed over time. The second point is the fault of Weidman, who was employing quite a bit of acting to give off the appearance that he was hurt and thus causing the doctor to have to stay in their longer and do more test and examinations to come to a conclusion which as she was determing what the outcome should be, is when everyone was notified that the knees were legal, at which Weidman began to freak out knowing he would get a tko loss, so he immediately cut out all the acting BS and tried to get the doctors to let him fight, but his earlier performance already sealed the deal for them.

Yes, Dan did screw up. Just because it was hard to tell he made a mistake doesn't change the fact he made one.

Enson Yamato Inoue -

Yes. He wasn't true and tried to use the rules for an easy way out both during the fight and after the knee. A good fighter but far from a warrior at heart.

Well, can't argue with a true warrior.

Enson Yamato Inoue -

Thats it. Thread over.
Much respect.

Enson Yamato Inoue -

Playing devils advocate here- Weidman thought the strikes were illegal because the ref said so.

If he was legitimately rocked and was advise the strikes were illegal, isn't it fair enough if he milked it? When the ref was corrected he offered to fight.

Yes, he initially played the stupid game of trying to benefit from being kneed in the face by gaming the hands down rule - then when he thought he'd successfully baited an illegal strike overacted to try to goad the ref into gifting a DQ, then once informed the strike was legally he was indignant that doctors took seriously his acting that he was too hurt to continue 

ThatsHowIRoll -

Not really. 

It is a cut throat and short career as a fighter. When it came crunch time he elected to keep fighting but the commission were to blame for their decision making.

End of the day if I was rocked in a co main event in front of New York city I'd be milking the 5 minutes to get my wits back also.

Pretty much this. He was given 5 min after taking shots. The ref made the call and the docs ended it. I cant fault either guy, just sucks all around

Steven McTowelie -

Yeah, it's a pretty desperate and shitty attitude.

This

EnderinAK - 

So this is pretty interesting.  Look at 1:15 of this video.  It appears both hands were down.  I said it when watching the fight and I will say it again Joe Rogan caused this replay business to happen.

This has been covered all day long. Fingertips do NOT constitute hands down per the rules. It's palms or fists, not fingertips.

He initially tried to work the rules by playing the hand game, then he possibly tried to work the rules by playing up the damage, now he's trying to work the rules to have his deserved loss expunged. So, I'm not surprised by the appeal, and I think I may see a pattern.

Weidman, in his head, knows one of two things happened. He either knows he lost, and got badly hurt by legal strikes. That or he knows he cracked mentally, and screwed himself over by looking for an easy way out of the fight. I don't know which it is, but one of those two things happened. I don't know how many fighters would do the same, or if I lost any respect for him.