Diego proved...

Diego could have finished melendez in the third if he had just pounded him instead of goin for the sub.

Sir chopsalot - Gatekeeper at best Phone Post 3.0

I don't enjoy watching him get beaten to a bloody pulp every fight no matter how tough he is. Retirement, imo

MarcVanBas -
Deputy Porker - 
Rahjai - Aside from that uppercut, he was getting picked apart at will and beat to literally every punch he threw with a counter which was pin point accurate my Melendez. Dunno how anyone could call that a close fight, it was an ass kicking Phone Post
Fuck you if was a great fight Phone Post 3.0

Doesn't change the fact that apart from diegos heart, it was a one sided beating.

I love watching diego but I don't want to see him take that sort of punishment anymore, just for the sake of entertainment.
Landed heaps of body kicks, had his back twice, got a td, nearly ko'd him Phone Post 3.0

DEZBOT -
MarcVanBas -
Deputy Porker - 
Rahjai - Aside from that uppercut, he was getting picked apart at will and beat to literally every punch he threw with a counter which was pin point accurate my Melendez. Dunno how anyone could call that a close fight, it was an ass kicking Phone Post
Fuck you if was a great fight Phone Post 3.0

Doesn't change the fact that apart from diegos heart, it was a one sided beating.

I love watching diego but I don't want to see him take that sort of punishment anymore, just for the sake of entertainment.
Landed heaps of body kicks, had his back twice, got a td, nearly ko'd him Phone Post 3.0

He has plenty of moments, but he's right it was a complete lopsided beating.

And when he did drop him Melendez was in deep on a single and deigo couldn't get off good gnp so taking the back was best option against a rocked opponent imp, just didn't work out. Phone Post

Willo232 -
WizeKraker - Diego is the most game fighter in the UFC since they cut Garcia. he will get wins. he damn near had this one vs a top contender. he will be around as long as he wishes with performances like tonight.

This. As long as Diego stays at 155 and is as dedicated/motivated for his fights then he could do quite well imo. Would like to see him vs. Jim Miller next if Diego comes in in the same shape.

Ever seen him get tired before? His cardio is legendary. Phone Post

I hate to be a pussy about fighting but last night made me think a little deeper about what these guys are doing. The blunt trauma JDS and Diego took in particular, was an amazing show of mental toughness, heart, determination.... but at what cost?

MMA is a sport that becomes close to gladiatorial when we praise these kinds of displays and call for more of them. Yes, last night we were entertained by the performance of men that may have taken years off their life at worst and diminished the quality of their life if they live to later years.

They did it for themselves and for us. Do we say great job and I can't wait to see it again? or do we say thank you, pay these guys appropriately for their self destruction and ask them to not destroy themselves beyond repair?

Dana White did a disservice to the sport when he ranted about how great Deigo was last night. Diego didn't shut up anyone. He did what he always does - he took a beating and kept coming forward with reckless abandon. Entertaining all of us but destroying himself.

If the UFC is going to praise that kind of battle, they need to pay enough so these guys can retire busted up before they turn 40.

Great night of fights but kind of disturbing at the same time.

BuddyRevell -

The scary part is that Diego (and Junior) might actually be willing to die in the cage, and that's not just pre-fight hype.

This. I'm concerned for both of their brains. Their corners should be stopping fights if they have any more fights like last night. Phone Post

diego went 18 dummy last night, i thought since it went to the judges that he might get an early christmas gift decision, but got hit by the grinch and didnt even get the round he won..

boot2thehead - I hate to be a pussy about fighting but last night made me think a little deeper about what these guys are doing. The blunt trauma JDS and Diego took in particular, was an amazing show of mental toughness, heart, determination.... but at what cost?

MMA is a sport that becomes close to gladiatorial when we praise these kinds of displays and call for more of them. Yes, last night we were entertained by the performance of men that may have taken years off their life at worst and diminished the quality of their life if they live to later years.

They did it for themselves and for us. Do we say great job and I can't wait to see it again? or do we say thank you, pay these guys appropriately for their self destruction and ask them to not destroy themselves beyond repair?

Dana White did a disservice to the sport when he ranted about how great Deigo was last night. Diego didn't shut up anyone. He did what he always does - he took a beating and kept coming forward with reckless abandon. Entertaining all of us but destroying himself.

If the UFC is going to praise that kind of battle, they need to pay enough so these guys can retire busted up before they turn 40.

Great post. VU! Phone Post

I've been in brawls not even near as brutal as Diego's last night. I now suffer from seeing neon blue and orange orbs in my vision, anxiety in my breathing, and hints of short term memory loss. Hopefully he has worked more on his retirement plan than seeking a belt. Phone Post

OP: All MMA fighters are "scrambling thier brain's" to some extent. Getting the lights turned off, and then getting pounded into the mat is by far the worst. Diego has not been shut down like that, so I say he's got a lot left in the tank.

Haters: In this day and age of "point fighting" and fighting for the "Dec", you are off your rocker if you don't scream for more fights like Gil vs. Diego. Last night Diego never gave up, and was redic close to winning in the 3rd. Yeah he got beat up, but in my books, both fighters won.

Thank you Gil and Diego for re-energizing my love for this sport. If GSP fought with the "balls" and "passion" of Diego Sanchez, I'd actually buy his PPV's instead of hoping someone else does.

BA

boot2thehead - I hate to be a pussy about fighting but last night made me think a little deeper about what these guys are doing. The blunt trauma JDS and Diego took in particular, was an amazing show of mental toughness, heart, determination.... but at what cost?

i had the same thoughts last night watching both fights.

i like seeing a straight up scrap but last night i think both went too far and i found myself not enjoying seeing them shave years off of their careers and productive lives.

Bellator Fan - Sloppy brawling is what the UFC calls "bringing it". Phone Post 3.0

And Lay&Pray is what Bellator calls "Entertaining."

I think some of you nancies might want to stick with BJJ and submission wrestling. Clearly MMA is not your sport

Diego had had a very successful career and has proven that he can fight with the best of them. I think last night we got to see his heart at its fullest. I agree that Gil had the better of the exchanges,but at no point was Diego in danger other than than when he got knocked down to a knee. The cut made things look worse than they were,and IMO opinion Gilbert was in more danger in this fight. It wasn't a one sided beating at all. Cain vs JDS was a one sided beating. JDS had moments where he was just helpless and just took the beating. Diego never once looked helpless in the fight. I had Gil winning,but it wasn't as one sided as many here claim Phone Post 3.0

Excuse the spelling Phone Post 3.0

This is going to be unpopular but i hope he retires now.

I mean retiring after the greatest fight ever seems like the right thing to do. I doubt he will top this fight.

Hes going to have some serious trauma already and i think hes had enough.

I just hope the UFC takes care of him.

Diego Sanchez would have gone over big in Japan. The Japanese would have loved his Samuri spirit.

Diego Sanchez would have gone over big in Japan. The Japanese would have loved his Samuri spirit.

This is how I saw it as well.

Diego is a warrior and I will always watch his fights though. Phone Post