Diego Sanchez Interview

there is a new sanchez interview at mmamania.com

the most interesting part about it is when he discusses leaving greg jacksons camp:

Jesse Holland (MMAmania.com): He's now with Greg Jackson and you're not. Based on what you've said thus far I'll assume that's more than just a coincidence?

Diego Sanchez: I have so much respect for the Jackson camp. Keith Jardine, Nate Marquardt, all those guys, they're still my boys. My loyalty was very strong. But GSP could have gone to any camp he wanted. He knew that place was my home, my dream. That took a little something out of my heart. He's training in the cage that I bled in, that I sweat in and cried in.

Jesse Holland (MMAmania.com): Did you feel pushed aside when he arrived?

Diego Sanchez: Put yourself there for a minute. You're an undefeated fighter coming off two of the biggest wins of your career (Parisyan/Riggs). Now they're bringing in the champion of your weight class to train with your guys? For three months I was telling Greg that my heart wasn't feeling it. Greg kept telling me "Trust me, trust me, you guys are going to make each other the best" but I kept feeling like their true intentions were to make me go down to 155. I mean most of the Jackson fighters cut a lot of weight and that's not me. I wasn't going to do it. I wasn't bowing down to Georges St. Pierre. I ain't riding nobody's coattails. I'm Diego Sanchez and just because I had two decision losses - one while I was sick and one controversial to a top five welterweight - does not mean that I'm gonna give up on my dream, my dream to be welterweight champion. Maybe me and GSP will throw down in Albuquerque somewhere in the future. Dana told me there is going to be a show in Albuquerque. I don't want to fight him unless it's for the title. I want him for five rounds.

i feel for the guy and i would be pissed too. obviously, he and gsp at the time were on a path to fight in the future so what is the point in training with the guy.

As much as I respect Diego as a fighter if I was Jackson I would choose to train GSP over him.

"As much as I respect Diego as a fighter if I was Jackson I would choose to train GSP over him."

that is fucked up considering that diego has been with him for around 6 years and put that team on the map after his TUF experience. jardine and diego were there for a long time. rashad didn't join the team until jardine invited him after TUF 3 and marquardt didn't join until before his ivan salaverry fight.

i can understand picking gsp because he is a better fighter but diego put that team on the map with his TUF success and has been with jackson for so many years. i can understand why he feels maybe backstabbed about it.

you don't see other teams kick out their main guy at a certain weight class to bring in the champion. it would be like tim sylvia being put to the back at MFS for noguiera to show up even though they might fight again down the road.

also you are basing that decision as a fan and what fighter you think is better. look at it this way, diego has invested years into that gym and vice versa and has build a relationship with greg jackson. diego could've seen jackson as a mentor to him.

would rashad and jardine appreciate it if rampage joined the camp full time even though he was champ and they are potential opponents? how about if anderson silva joined the camp would marquardt appreciate the fact that they are training a potential opponent and making him better? how would you feel if you know you are going to fight a guy in the future and your camp helps train him to be a better fighter even though you are going to fight him?

"that is fucked up considering that diego has been with him for around 6 years and put that team on the map after his TUF experience. jardine and diego were there for a long time. rashad didn't join the team until jardine invited him after TUF 3 and marquardt didn't join until before his ivan salaverry fight.

i can understand picking gsp because he is a better fighter but diego put that team on the map with his TUF success and has been with jackson for so many years. i can understand why he feels maybe backstabbed about it.

you don't see other teams kick out their main guy at a certain weight class to bring in the champion. it would be like tim sylvia being put to the back at MFS for noguiera to show up even though they might fight again down the road."

I agree with your points but Jackson didn't pick GSP over Diego. Jackson's mindset obviously was that if they trained together they could be the #1 and #2 WWs in the world.

Of course you could look at it as a betrayal as well I suppose but Jackson shouldn't be faulted for training GSP.

I was just stating that if given the choice between the two GSP is the easy choice.

Diego was his boy from day 1. He played a part in Greg Jackson getting a lot of the recognition that made him such a sought after, top notch trainer. I would be pissed too.

"I was just stating that if given the choice between the two GSP is the easy choice."

yes based on who is the better fighter right now. that is not based on personal relationships and loyalty. since diego has known jackson for longer than gsp has and the others in his camp.

how can jackson envision having the number 1 and 2 when they will eventually have to fight? what happens than? does he train one and not the other? sides will be split in the camp just like it is now.

diego feels from the interview at least that jackson did pick GSP over him because diego stated he didn't want to go down to 155 and wanted to be the champ at 170. i am sure that greg jackson knew this more than anyone since he was diego's trainer. you can't be the champ at 170 if the champ is being trained by your long time team.

Damn, I could see why he would be upset, even after jackson fucked him, he still holds him in high regard.

Wow you guys are really all on Diego's side eh?

I'm sure Jackson knew that Jardine wants to be #1 but he still took on Rashad.

The point is that Jackson is a coach and trainer and having GSP on his team is a gift for his fighters not a curse as Diego is making it out to be.

GSP is a great training partner and takes time to help guys that help him prepare for fights.

IMO it is Diego's fault for letting this bother him. He could of looked at it positively and took advantage of training with the best MMA fighter in the world(MO).

wgrapple, that's a lot different. After the show Jardine and Rashad were good buddies and said they would not fight each other, therefore training together makes perfect sense. Diego has no interest in being buddies with GSP, he wants to smash him for the belt. (Not saying he would, that's just his mindset)

"I'm sure Jackson knew that Jardine wants to be #1 but he still took on Rashad."

you are wrong here because it wasn't jackson that asked for rashad to join the team but jardine did.

jardine asked rashad to join the team after TUF 3 because they became friends.

diego and gsp were never friends and diego never asked him to join the team. there is a difference.

GSP would eat up Diego and still have room for some poutine.

"Jackson's mindset obviously was that if they trained together they could be the #1 and #2 WWs in the world.""

Have two members of the same team EVER fought each other in a big fight, much less a title fight? By bringing in GSP, they were basically saying "Sorry, Diego -- you are never getting a title shot. From this point on we are just training you to be an also-ran."

I think it would have done him good to stay and train with GSP, though, then leave when he gets closer to a title shot. Training with GSP's level of MMA wrestling would have taken Diego to the next level.

Massive ego on Diego's part IMO and it will ultimately hold him back from becoming champ.

Swallow your pride and become a bigger bad ass by having GSP as a training partner.

I don't know about that. If it hits the mat, diego is still the better grappler. gsp has him in wrestling and standup.

diego honestly has NO quit in him and will go and go until gsp stops him.

this will be a true bad blood fight and will get mass publicity if diego can string some dominant wins together.

LOL at all the guys saying Jackson didn't do no wrong...

asking Diego to move down in weight so that GSP can remain WW is making a fcuking choice...

So somewhere down the road if Diego faces GSP... Jackson is gonna give away all of Diego's weaknesses?

That's fcuked up...No loyalty there...

6 years is a damn long time...

who knew about jackson prior to TUF1???

Diego is one of my favorite fighters; hope to see
him against someone in the top ten maybe Marcus
Davis; assuming he gets by David Bielkheden.

wasnt diego already hooked up with a boxing manager before GSP came in?

I understand that Jardine wanted Rashad but they still could end up fighting down the road.

My point is that Diego has the ability to decide how he wants to react to Greg Jackson's decision to train GSP. He can look at it negatively or positively. He chose to look at it negatively and has since lost two close decisions.

IMO Diego is to blame in this situation. Jackson is widely known as one of the top trainers and coaches and has undeniable dedication to his fighters. I don't believe for a second that he would put in less effort on Diego with GSP in the camp.

Are those pictures new?

Diego looked pretty big in those shots. He's also going a bit too heavy on the oil. Anyway....

I wouldn't want to invite the number 1 guy in my weight class to come join my camp. The camp that I helped establish, especially when I'm on a collision course to face him and my dream is to take his belt.