Diet Advice

So I'm coming off a couple injuries and as a result I'm both soft and weak. I'm currently 6'5, 215, which isn't overweight, but I have some weight in the wrong places (gut). So I decided to track my diet and workouts to get a feel for it.

I downloaded MyFitnessPal yesterday and inputted everything I ate

Results:

2,671 calories consumed
Approx. 250 calories burned (at physical therapy for a leg injury)

46% carbs (314g), 22% fat (67g), 32% protein (218g)

13g saturated fat (MyFitnessPal set a total allowed of 28g), 269mg cholesterol (300mg was the goal/limit), 2054mg sodium (2300mg was the goal/limit), 50g fiber (41g was the goal/limit), 69g sugar (95g was the goal/limit)

I've never tracked my diet particularly closely because I've never been one to be significantly overweight, so I'm a bit unclear on whether I'm eating too many carbs, not enough fat, etc

What do you guys think?

Ketogenic diet.

Cut the carbs, cut the sugars.

Eat the meats, fats and veggies.

The thing I've experienced when tracking on an app like that, is i won't eat the same as if i wasn't tracking.

I'll do my best to not eat stuff i know i shouldn't. Which is good for weight loss, bad for actual stats on everyday eating habits. Phone Post 3.0

Brockback Mountain - Ketogenic diet.

Cut the carbs to what level?

I'll note that 30 of the 69g of sugars I ate came from an apple and a banana, for whatever that's worth...not like Milky Ways and shit

Matt Ward - The thing I've experienced when tracking on an app like that, is i won't eat the same as if i wasn't tracking.

I'll do my best to not eat stuff i know i shouldn't. Which is good for weight loss, bad for actual stats on everyday eating habits. Phone Post 3.0

I feel you on that. This is a normal day's eating for me though, I made sure not to change anything

You probably want to get your calories around 2000 to lose weight.

Carbs is a very generic word. Stay away from "white" carbs like bread, sugar (especially HFCS) and pasta, carbs from "real" oatmeal, carrots, fruits are not bad for you.

Also stay away from trans fats if your getting of those. You should lose weight and maintain muscle on that type of diet.

cruedi - You probably want to get your calories around 2000 to lose weight.

Carbs is a very generic word. Stay away from "white" carbs like bread, sugar (especially HFCS) and pasta, carbs from "real" oatmeal, carrots, fruits are not bad for you.

Also stay away from trans fats if your getting of those. You should lose weight and maintain muscle on that type of diet.

I had 0g of trans fat and I generally don't eat any white carbs - it's more oatmeal, raw nuts, brown rice, fruit, etc

Most of my carbs came from better sources (I think) - rolled oats, raw nuts, brown rice, milk, banana, apple, etc.

When you say get my calories to around 2,000, does that mean before exercise? Like if I run 5 miles today (which I'm planning to do, albeit slowly), are you suggesting I should consume only 2,000 calories? Or do you mean 2,000 calories net for the day (i.e. 2800 or so consumed, 800 or so burned)

dizz - 
cruedi - You probably want to get your calories around 2000 to lose weight.

I had 0g of trans fat and I generally don't eat any white carbs - it's more oatmeal, raw nuts, brown rice, fruit, etc

Most of my carbs came from better sources (I think) - rolled oats, raw nuts, brown rice, milk, banana, apple, etc.

When you say get my calories to around 2,000, does that mean before exercise? Like if I run 5 miles today (which I'm planning to do, albeit slowly), are you suggesting I should consume only 2,000 calories? Or do you mean 2,000 calories net for the day (i.e. 2800 or so consumed, 800 or so burned)

when I'm trying to lose weight I try and consume 1800 calories a day. Minus the 500-600 burned during a workout leaves me 1200-1300 which are burned up naturally, which over time leads me to lose weight.

Depending on how active you are, your metabolism, your results will vary. For you size I'd say under 2000 calories consumed would be too restrictive.

2,670 at 215 bodyweight would roughly put you in caloric deficit. You don't want to drastically cut your calories.

The key it to accurately count your calories. Accurately!

fanat - 2,670 at 215 bodyweight would roughly put you in caloric deficit. You don't want to drastically cut your calories.

The key it to accurately count your calories. Accurately!

Yeah this is the tricky part

For my morning oatmeal, nuts, etc I measure everything out so that's easy enough.

Gets tougher if I eat a meal out or if I don't measure the amount of milk or Greek yogurt I eat or something

Cruedi and everyone else, thanks for the advice

Brockback Mountain - Ketogenic diet.

This. I started 5 weeks ago down 25 pounds. Having trouble getting my carbs under 50. But they're coming from veggies not sugar. Not in ketosis but feeling good. Phone Post 3.0

i suggest not to have oreos in the house. Holy fuck...they are like crack. I swear to christ that if you try to eat just one, you end up eating the whole damn row if not more!

revolution is my name - 

This. I started 5 weeks ago down 25 pounds. Having trouble getting my carbs under 50. But they're coming from veggies not sugar. Not in ketosis but feeling good. Phone Post 3.0

How was the initial adjustment? And how long until you started feeling good?

dizz - 
revolution is my name - 

Usually takes me one day of feeling meh and maybe getting a headache, after that i feel great.

^ That's not bad at all, Brock

I tried doing IF (intermittent fasting) a year or so ago - when I was in better shape, I was just doing it on a whim - and felt like fucking shit for a week, then gave it up. Took me about 2 more weeks to feel normal again

dizz -
revolution is my name - 

It took me 2 days to feel a difference. However, it took me 2 weeks to overcome the sugar craving. I think it was more psychological than anything. Once I started seeing results it became easier Phone Post 3.0

If you do end up going low carb it can take as long as months to fully adjust to. Enzymes that utilize fat for energy have to develop in your gut and it takes time. But once you do you will feel better than you ever have.

How do people doing low carb diets handle cheat days? Because I like going out with my woman on Saturday night and getting burgers and beer

You just do them and go back to your routine when finished and try not to do it too often.