DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SAVATE AND MT??

He posted it in another thread titled, appropriately enough "Setup the Push Kick Savate-style."

I've trained a little Savate. You're not allowed to kick with your shins, only with the part of the foot covered by a shoe, and you're technically not allowed to block with your shins either. I found it impossible to avoid blocking with my shins from my Muay Thai training. I only sparred one time in the five or so that I went. It was fun and they had some interesting technique, but the fact is that no one ever says "that's not part of Muay Thai" no matter what I do in Muay Thai. I do axe kicks, spinning back fists and kicks, jumping round kicks and no one complains. In savate, I threw an inner crescent kick, and the teacher says, nice, but not savate. It seemed to me that savate limits itself somewhat.

Reg.

Does anyone know the reason why shin check is not allowed? Is it cos with shoes, checking with the shin can get your shin broken? I've never experienced savate before so I dont even know if dats possible.

Does anyone know any links to some sites that sell quality thai kicking targets for a good price? I don't know what brand I should trust or how much I should be paying. Thanks.

Guys,
Sorry to come in late on the thread.

I am the vice-president of the NEW JERSEY SAVATE FEDERATION and have trained and fought BF SAVATE in France.

I'm glad folks are open to incorporating some BF SAVATE stuff into their game! As has been said, they really do compliment each other.

Regarding History: I don't want to revisit this issue for long but though there is ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF of French (or any other European) martial art being a derivative (or based on, influenced by, etc) there is copious DOCUMENTATION for a very strong martial art tradition in Europe. There are many "fechtbuchs" (fight manuals) dating back as early as the 13th century detailing fighting techniques, armed and un-armed.

Regarding Kicking with the Shins: All kicks in Savate must be done with the SHOE. Instep, Heel, Point, Bottom, Edge. Also, there must be a balance, every round of FOOT and PUNCH combination.
It's try the "RING SPORT" of Boxe Francaise Savate has rules and limitations (like all "sports") but this forces, in the minds of the French Federation, the fighters to maintain the art by fighting within parameters.

However, all these techniques such as elbows, knees and headbutts (including throws, which were allowed in the early matches of the 19th century) are part of the Full art of SAVATE.

However, Savate will NEVER have the sophisticated clinch work that Muay Thai has because it is not worked in the ring therefore it is not kept "alive".

If you guys ever get a chance, try and check out a match; they are great fun!

Armando Basulto

Choisy-le-Roi USA Savate Club

NEW JERSEY SAVATE FEDERATION

Ern-Pdg
So a Savateur can train MT to improve power, and a MT boxer can train savate to improve accuracy?

Is that what you mean?

Yours,
Beev

Hey, I like baseball bats.