Different SBGs & ATGs training

Question for Coaches, Instructors and Group Leaders:

How many of you emphasize:

Training Jits with gi?

Vale Tudo Grappling?

Stick Fighting (SMACK)?

Counter Knife and SD?

Boxing & Muay Thai?

I love Jits and I only have three classes a week at our school so we focus on grappling. We also work a lot of Greco Clinch and I show the Counter Knife (STAB & Red Zone) both integrated and separate from the Clinch. I would like to make time for more pure standup this next year.

Hey Fletch,

at my gym i have 3 classes a week and i break it down this way:

SBG/MMA - the most varied one, what i'd like to update my website description of this class is Matt's explanation of the BJJ delivery system - using the square model. where the root skill is in the middle (BJJ) and every corner represents a different permutation of that skill: No-Gi/Self-Defense/MMA-Vale Tudo/Sport BJJ with the Gi.

Of those four, that class could end up encompassing any or all of the first three. thats were the Vale ?Tudo grappling would come in, as well as the headlock escapes, no gi for submission wrestling, anti GnP, takedowns, etc ...

Jits with the Gi is a whole separate class and i'm starting to work more stand up and Judo (which is something relatively new for me) in it along with the ground, its usually straight sport jits (especially if a tourneys coming up)

then i have a stand up/clinch class or what Suarez refers to at his gym as the "ShootBox Class" (a name i plan to steal!) where i'll teach CM, basic boxing, thai kicks and knees, Thai/Greco/MMA clinch, takedowns and defense. that class is loads of fun cuz it encorporates a good mix of padwork conditioning, boxing drills, isolation sparring, pummeling, and takedowns.

i really want to start doing the STAB and counter-knife stuff. i need to see the Red Zone stuff too. i could do that in Monday or Thursdays cuz i'll usually teach the 2on1 in those classes to begin with.

it isnt really too feasable (space and equipment wise) to do a stick program. besides, at the space i teach at there are a number of FMA and stickfighting groups. one in particular that seems to know what its doing anyway.

Training Jits with gi?

Haueter teaches at my gym on thursdays.

Vale Tudo Grappling?

Myself and Marc Scott teach on tuesdays.

Stick Fighting (SMACK)?
Counter Knife and SD?

No day reserved just for this....yet. Right now it's integrated into stand up/clinch day.

Boxing & Muay Thai?

I teach the stand up/clinch on tuesdays and wednesdays.

The stand up classes cover everything until you hit the ground. The ground classes cover tie up to ground. Mondays we have fighters playground where guys can put it all together or isolate trouble areas.

Jerry
www.centerlinegym.com

Next week Suarez clause is coming to town:)

Suarez Clause is nursing a broken thumb and a swollen knee these days.

... Sweep the leg, Jerry ! ! !

HAHAHA! Now I have secrets. I love secrets. Evil secrets. Suarez Clause is going down.

Christian, you need to come out this way. We can work Red Zone stuff.

Jerry

Fletch we have it all at the Portland Gym. Gi, no-gi, MMA, and kickboxing.

Rumor has it that the Portland gym doesn't teach Chi-Sao, Mas Oyama's Yellow belt Kata number 3 or how to scuba dive!. Is this true 'cause the public must know???

Jeff, you do NOT need lessons in scuba diving. You just need an attractive French female scuba diving coach that speaks no English, and enough pride to pretend you know WTF she is saying. . .then you too can dive 75' without any instruction and almost die in the process. . . .it rocks!

LOL - Something is telling me that this is a true story :)