Discuss!

shen, you've just completely encapsulated what i hate about seminars, and not just in BJJ. 

I was just griping to Mrs Twinkletoes about Tango seminars, because it's the same. I don't want to see some random novelty you're showing for the people with short attention spans  - I want high percentage, consistently repeatable stuff that I will find useful all the time. 

/curmudgeon

N5Z -
Sgt. Slaphead -
N5Z -

The first video is good.  Most DT programs I consider legit teach similarly.

When doing inservice i dont go past '2-on-1 on the weapon and be aggressive' because showing anything more severely dilutes the message to guys who do not train everyday.

The inevitable "what do I do next" question I answer the same way for everybody.  Its not what SHOULD I do its what WILL you do.  You WILL do whatever you train everyday.  If thats an arm drag, you will arm drag.  If thats nothing, you will do nothing.  There are no guarantees of success either way.

As for the FT vid... that channel annoys me.  Ive seen a lot of crap stuff from them.  Made it 4mins in until the guy started cross blocking the incoming.

your point about"...what will you do"

EXACTLY!

Jiujitsu guys are always saying...i do this i wont do that, like they can shift gears to some5hing other tha  their default.

While I generally agree with your sentiments I disagree with your absolutism about what jiu jitsu is good for self defense.

A proficient clinch and pressure style will serve you well if you are an average to bigger guy.  What if you are a smaller guy or woman?  Does it still hold true?

BJJ guys going to their default is a good thing.  I still believe that the vast majority of jiu jitsu technique taught today can be applied to a fight.  I might disagree with how it is taught.  Teaching a white belt x-guard before mount escapes is bad... but if a guy has a killer x-guard I would rather he go there during a fight than a clinch he is unpracticed and feels insecure at.

Your style of jiu jitsu should be heavily predicated on your physical attributes.  Ideally, it should organically become the most efficient way for you to fight.

earlier i was standing on a ladder and dint have time to also address soemthing else......a jiujitsu guy with a "killer x guard".and an "unpracticed" and "insecure" clinch IS THE PROBLEM! And even some that practice the clinch, lack pressure and control.

The more practiced they are, the better able they are to pressure, control and off  alance their opponent. All of which, especially translates to better ability to deal with this subject matter. Am I wrong? If a jiujitsu school markets itself as a martial Art/SD training....we can at least demand training that provides a decent base of fighting applicable training.

twinkletoesCT - 

shen, you've just completely encapsulated what i hate about seminars, and not just in BJJ. 

I was just griping to Mrs Twinkletoes about Tango seminars, because it's the same. I don't want to see some random novelty you're showing for the people with short attention spans  - I want high percentage, consistently repeatable stuff that I will find useful all the time. 

/curmudgeon

Yeah, if you show a basic move, most  people kinda roll their eyes like, "I already KNOW that one! I want to see something NEW"

But I'm like you.

I went to (Red Belt) Mansur's seminar and he showed how to do the Americana and I was like "AWESOME!", but you could sense many others were not quite as thrilled.

Novelty is overrated.

shen -
twinkletoesCT - 

/curmudgeon

Yeah, if you show a basic move, most  people kinda roll their eyes like, "I already KNOW that one! I want to see something NEW"

But I'm like you.

I went to (Red Belt) Mansur's seminar and he showed how to do the Americana and I was like "AWESOME!", but you could sense many others were not quite as thrilled.

Novelty is overrated.

perfectly illustrates the problem with jiujitsu

I took a student with me to a Henry Akins seminar a couple years ago. Henry did a good job of giving drills that embodied concepts, rather than techniques per se, and giving people 10-15 minutes per drill, rather than 3-5 minutes to be euphoric about the novelty and then moving on. 

I loved it. My student was bored. He would do the drill once and then complain. He even said "Do you get the sense he didn't plan much material for this?"

Some people just don't get it. 

well.....i ha ve no opinion, but i have questiins.

Do you have the attri utes and skills for those takedown he's gonna teach?....knockout strikijg power and accurwcy?.....grips?....etc?

Personally I hate counter knife programs because what rely makes things work is not techniques,  ut skills a d attributes.

And holy fukballs at he gonna teach you to take out a knife expert.....WTF IS THAT? And even joe-smuck who is inte t on killing you is a shit sandwich to deal with

here the thing....the only real way to develop KO power and accuracy is by sparring. I have decent striking,  ut i dislike doing it with my shoulder and neck issues, so Im not as good anymore and cant hold arms up more tha  a couple minutes. But I have good distancing and power....from lots of sparring. His teaching yku these stikes, etc., still requires lots of time in training.

So I have some striking skill....because of training time. I have some grappling skill...likewise becase of trainng time. I have some weapons skill...likewise. And because of all that....I can learn, improvise, adapt new skills or tech iques. Kinda like the more you know, helps you learn.

Throws and takedowns....yku cNt just learn a throw and boom, you make it work. Likewise gripping, etc.

I advised you in other thread...just find something that appeals to yku and train....once you have a good foundatiin....improvise, adapt and overcome.

I feel like you looking for the ultimate syle/system/technique.....figure out what suits you, run with it....evalute and adjust.

yes...abikity to land it.

if he says in vids to spar and gives good guidance sure....good "technical" reference. Like any other vid instructional....we can5 see what he is presentijg though, we only see sales pithch, etc....which comes across as late nite tv infomercial to me

PerformativeGayBDSM -
Sgt. Slaphead -

if he says in vids to spar and gives good guidance sure....good "technical" reference. Like any other vid instructional....we can5 see what he is presentijg though, we only see sales pithch, etc....which comes across as late nite tv infomercial to me

Just realized I didn't provide all the links... my bad.

https://howtofightnow.com/knife-self-defense-1/

https://howtofightnow.com/knife-self-defense-2/

https://howtofightnow.com/knife-self-defense-3/

Rest of his stuff can be found here:

https://howtofightnow.com/videos/

Ahhh...ok, thats a lottle better.

vid2...his point about parrying (and strikijg). IME is valid. Even 5he thing about stop-kick.Last5ime i did a lot of kknife training id slip it in. But understand this (you should know since you train3d boxijg) he has the xeveloped attributes and skills because he has trained mma and sparred a shit ton. Same for me, i could parry, move, circle, stop-kick and hit because I did it for several years.

N3xt point is all that is fine and good IF you have the time and space for standoff 5o work. 5his is t always the case. I once did some training after a dept did 40hr DT counter knife training and we worked from interview distance and scenario.....standoff strategy&tactics dont work.

Vid3....grips.

I teach a lot of gripping related stuff....so i know its effectiveness as a tool. It is integral to my grappling,  ut im not dependent on it. So.same as i said about standoff above....you need a lot of mat-time to develop it.

His point about 2on1....BULLSHIT!

vid1...indeed!

So much of what is presented, especially FMAs is total crap. Couple years ago on 5his forum ano5her poster and I went back and for5h adout kali shit....because its alot of crap. Same as silat, krav maga, etc.....becuase .ost dont honestly test what they present.

To expand upon the 2on1 and his comment about it doesnt work......ANY STATIC GRIP DOESNT WORK!

There are different ways to use it, and different grips that are prioritized by different people/systems.

effinggoof - Paul Sharp is part of Shivworks.

My experience with Shivworks was extremely positive.

He's part of Shivworks?! Well shit that's enough for me.