Disneyworld Hotel Recommendations??

Any OGers have experience staying at the resorts in Orlando? Looking at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, any recommendations? Phone Post 3.0

I've stayed the the French Quarter, Orleans. I would highly recommend this as a medium priced hotel. The location is superb. Not only due to it's closer proximity to all the other theme parks, but also Downtown Disney as an option. A free to ride ferry leaves ever 15 minutes which makes downtown disney very acessible. They have a decent pool area too if you need to chill. 

Are you taking kids or just you and wife? We have stayed at the contemporary, all star sports and all star characters???. With kids I would stay at the all star characters. Not sure if that's the name, but it all star something and it's all about the characters. My daughter liked this one the most. Don't spend a ton of money on the hotel, your never there. The food package is more then worth it. Eat at le salle' in epcot. Get the park jumper pass, helps to miss the crowds. Lots more recommendations if you want them. It is a good time.

Thanks guys great tips! VU

I'm looking at medium priced but it's probably my son's last hurrah at Disney. He's getting older but asked to go so I'd like to stay on the property...

Keep the tips coming.

How much is the meal plan? Phone Post 3.0

Art of Animation was cool if you have young kids Phone Post 3.0

KyokushinandBJJ -

I've stayed the the French Quarter, Orleans. I would highly recommend this as a medium priced hotel. The location is superb. Not only due to it's closer proximity to all the other theme parks, but also Downtown Disney as an option. A free to ride ferry leaves ever 15 minutes which makes downtown disney very acessible. They have a decent pool area too if you need to chill. 

This! Ferry to downtown Disney kicked ass and it was fairly cheap compared to some of the others. Phone Post 3.0

Do NOT stay at any value resort. Spend the extra money, it's worth it.

When are you going, how many people, what ages?

just moved 5 hours from Orlando and looking to surprise my son when he visits me this summer with a trip to universal studios and Disney world, our first real vacation.

TTT Phone Post 3.0

Grand Floridian was amazing. Phone Post 3.0

Rent a condo in the area. Will be cheaper than the resort, will be close to everything, and will usually have plenty of local amenities. Last time we stayed in Clermont, for $500 a week we had a 4 bedroom house w/a pool. Very conveniently located (Disney 15-20mins, Universal 45mins) with tons of restaurants in the area, or, because it's a house, there was a grocery store down the street if we wanted to cook.

gw99 - Do NOT stay at any value resort. Spend the extra money, it's worth it.

When are you going, how many people, what ages?

Yes I'm planning animal kingdom. My son just turned 13 and this will probably be the last time he asks to go so I want to do it right but not break the bank! Phone Post 3.0

Ive stayed at the Coronado Springs Resort. Was beautiful! Pool was great. Rooms were great. Food was great. Good experience! Phone Post 3.0

All of the high end Disney hotels are really nice,just figure out which one appeals to you...Beach Club does have the nicest pool/slide by far. I also like Wilderness Lodge. Really depends on personal preference and what sort of theme your son is into.

To anyone interested,the big difference between the moderate and the value resorts is that the moderate resorts have a hot tub and water slide,both of which are loved by my family. The rooms may be decorated a bit better also if that is a big deal to you.

I ,like a previous poster, like the Port Orleans French Quarter as far as moderate hotels go. The reasons I like this one is b/c it is the smallest property which means all buildings are close to the pool,water slide,and hot tub. Many moderate resorts have several pools w/ one main pool w/ slide & hot tub and you may have quite a walk to get to the main pool. Another benefit of the Fr Quarter resort is that the Port Orleans Riverside is right next door and also has a cool pool resembling a Tom Sawyer type water hole. It is like getting two cool pools to hang out in.

In the smaller Fr Q resort the bus gets in and out quickly also.

Best wishes on your trip, we have always had a great time down there. Can't go wrong with those deluxe resorts should you chose that route,just check them out ahead of time and pick your favorite.

I've stayed at the AK Lodge twice and it was a very good experience for me & the family. We've also stayed at the Polynesian and it was great too. I'd imagine the service and accomodation of all the Disney resorts (on the resort grounds) are similar and added to that the convenience of having great ammenities, very convenient bus & ferry access to all the parks makes them worth the additional money  (IMHO).

Years ago, we stayed at the brand new Pop Century. The room was smaller and fewer ammenities, but still a Disney resort and customer service and shuttle access was very good. 

. Phone Post 3.0

VU for all great tips! Phone Post 3.0

landers96 - Are you taking kids or just you and wife? We have stayed at the contemporary, all star sports and all star characters???. With kids I would stay at the all star characters. Not sure if that's the name, but it all star something and it's all about the characters. My daughter liked this one the most. Don't spend a ton of money on the hotel, your never there. The food package is more then worth it. Eat at le salle' in epcot. Get the park jumper pass, helps to miss the crowds. Lots more recommendations if you want them. It is a good time.
The meal plan sounds interesting Phone Post 3.0

Le Cellier in epcot is booked full for many months. You typically have to make reservations far in advance.

Just went in January. Stayed at the All Star Sports resort. Was a great time.

If I had the money, id go for the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Its nice.

The Grand Floridian (if im remembering right) is really close to the Magic Kingdom and has great views of the fireworks display at night.

If money is no object, by all means, spring for the more expensive resorts. But if you want to save a bit of money, the budget resorts are fine. All of the All Star resorts are basically the same and they are all decent. Nothing super special, but they arent dumps by any means. We spent so much time in the parks that the room was basically just a place to sleep. I definately dont feel like I missed out on anything by opting to stay in the budget resorts.

If you can, get the basic meal plan. The 2 counter service and a snack deal. Its worth the money. I dont think the deluxe plan is worth the money. The regular dining plan is more food than you can eat anyway. You can always pay cash for a table service meal, but I cant imagine wanting to take the time every day for a table service meal.

Regardless of where you stay, enjoy your trip. I got to take my 6 year old this year and it was one of the most amazing feelings in my life to see the look on his face when we walked into the park the first day. It was as happy as a kid can get I'll never forget it. Phone Post 3.0

Polynesian. Trust me. Phone Post 3.0