Dispute Item On Credit Report?

I found two items on my credit report that I never received a bill or collection notice for. The collection agency had the wrong address on file for me.

I have discovered that I can submit an online "dispute letter". The reporting agency has 30 days to contact the creditor and verify the item, or the agency will remove the item.

I have decided to give this a shot, but I have some questions.

I do believe I owe, and the one collection agency I spoke with has the bill in their records. Is there still a chance that they (or the original creditor?) will drag their feet and fail to substantiate the bill? It's only a small bill ($343), so they might not think it's worth their time, especially if they're busy.

If I submit a dispute through one agency, like Equifax, do I need to dispute the item on the other reports/agencies, as well? If one agency kicks it out, do they notify the others and have them kick the item, as well?

If the reporting agency doesn't remove the item, I can try to get a letter from the collection agency saying that they will remove the item (or request it's removal) if I pay in full. If I send a dispute letter, though, will this give me less bargaining power, since the dispute failed? Should I send the dispute first, or should I try to work something out with collections, first? (I don't mind paying the bill - I just want this removed from my report.)

Just dispute it. The burden of proof is on the reporting agency - they say something about you, they have to be able to prove it is true. So they have to do the leg work to obtain that proof. They have 30 days to do it, otherwise they have to take the offending information off your report.

i disputed a few things last month and almost all of it got deleted.  its pretty easy to do. just go to the websites of the credit bureaus and you can find out how.

Will I have to give an explanation of why I think it is wrong, or can I just basically say, "prove it"? (Politely, of course. lol.) I'm not sure that me never receiving a bill will be sufficient. On the other hand, that would be a good reason for me to question its validity.

Can I file a dispute for free on the credit bureaus' websites?

You dont have to explain shit....just say you want to dispute the charges.

^ Sweet! Thanks, guys!

and the collection agency white knight shows up again.......

i disputed about 5 things and 3 of them got removed...it must be because they are too lazy to send in the info they are required to.

this is the medical collection from that other thread?

Just ignore that shit man... lol

I see hi 7 to 800 scores with med collections and we never ask them to pay them. Lots of people have insurance issues in dispute and the med collection is common. It goes right from billing to collection almost as soon as it's unpaid.

tikmovado - 
Telfo -  and the collection agency white knight shows up again.......

i disputed about 5 things and 3 of them got removed...it must be because they are too lazy to send in the info they are required to.

<!--[if gte mso 9]>

Normal/w:View
0/w:Zoom

false/w:SaveIfXMLInvalid
false/w:IgnoreMixedContent
false/w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText

/w:Compatibility
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4/w:BrowserLevel
/w:WordDocument
<![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]>

/w:LatentStyles
<![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]>

<![endif]-->

Hey if that is how you were raised to no hold true to your obligations and responsibilities.

I guess it is ok to steal with a pen.

I am not for the Collection agency i am for doing what is right. My FATHER taught me to never STEAL or never take more than my fair share and always PAY YOUR DEBTS because my last name is HIS FIRST.

Sorry for my father being a influence in my life.

im pretty sure you said in one of these threads that you work/worked for a collection company

I have been working my ass off to get my credit score up and it doesn't seem to go up.  I have paid every bill on time for 3 years and my score still sucks.  Fuck the financial industry.  If you can get things off your credit without paying it do it.  They are getting enough of your money via bailouts.

What does your credit profile look like? How is your balance to max limit ratio? Are you still using credit?(you should if you want it to go up)...

Having active accts in good standing with less than half balances and all monthly payments on time will make your credit look good.

I have 2 credit cards that I rarely use.  I pay them off in full every month.  Their limit is low so that could be a reason behind it.  I recently had one credit card's limit dropped by 70% due to "credit restructuring."  I hate credit.

Dispute everything, even ones that are yours.

I had a friend that ran a credit clean-up service and it was a win-win deal for his clients. He just sent letters in disputing everything in very tight boiler plate format and eventually most creditors fail to respond in time and the shit gets removed.

Dispute Dispute Dispute

I do not believe the poster who said the burden was on the creditee. In my experience the creditor reporting on your credit report always has the burden of proof. It doesn't require much proof for them to keep it on, but if they don't respond the shit goes off in a flash.

"I am not for the Collection agency i am for doing what is right. My FATHER taught me to never STEAL or never take more than my fair share and always PAY YOUR DEBTS because my last name is HIS FIRST."

STFU! I already said I do not mind paying. If I owe it, I will gladaly pay. I just want this taken off of my credit report, because I never knew I owed. The colleciton agency had the wrong address for me, and I never got a bill from the doc. Am I supposed to contact every single collection agency in America and give them my address? I did a change of address form when I moved.

john76 - this is the medical collection from that other thread?

Just ignore that shit man... lol

I see hi 7 to 800 scores with med collections and we never ask them to pay them. Lots of people have insurance issues in dispute and the med collection is common. It goes right from billing to collection almost as soon as it's unpaid.

Yes, this is the one.

I tried to make a deal with the collection agent who told me that they had the wrong address. She said they would contact the credit agency to remove the item, but she would not give me a letter stating so. I didn't trust her, so I decided to look into disputing.

The actual money on the bill is no big deal. These being on my credit, however, IS a big deal. I would like to just pay and make it go away, rather than spend all of this time on it. However, I'm afraid that the items will stay even after I pay.

I did find that the second item is one that I do NOT owe. I had a dispute with a practice 3 years ago. They falsly claimed that a service was covered by my insurance. Eventually, the owner of the practice wrote me an apology letter and agreed to remove this from my bill. I had to threaten legal action to do it, though. Now, it's back.

tikmovado

Hey if that is how you were raised to no hold true to your obligations and responsibilities.

I guess it is ok to steal with a pen.

Congress and the leaders of the country do it everyday and get away with it. Why should the common man be held to a different set of standards?

Tiki, for fuck's sake, make your font smaller 

tikmovado - 
Telfo -  and the collection agency white knight shows up again.......

<!--[if gte mso 9]>Normal/w:View0/w:Zoomfalse/w:SaveIfXMLInvalidfalse/w:IgnoreMixedContentfalse/w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText/w:CompatibilityMicrosoftInternetExplorer4/w:BrowserLevel/w:WordDocument<![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]>/w:LatentStyles<![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]><![endif]-->

I guess it is ok to steal with a pen.

I am not for the Collection agency i am for doing what is right. My FATHER taught me to never STEAL or never take more than my fair share and always PAY YOUR DEBTS because my last name is HIS FIRST.

Sorry for my father being a influence in my life.

I know this is not really related but I hate debt collectors. Why should I have to record a call with them? Because they love to offer fake settlements and lie about not receiving payments. I say fuck them before they fuck you. And yeah it's right to give an eighteen year old a credit card with a 3000 dollar limit, too right? "Oh your card is maxed let us just increase your limit."

Thanks, Tiki.

Is there a way that I can pay the one bill that I owe, and get it taken off of my credit report, especially since I never received a bill or collections notice?

If I can't find the letter from item 2 (the one where the practice owner settled with me), I might have to pay that one, as well... IF I can get it taken off of my report.

"If you settle a bill that in not upwards of 3k then you are running the risk that any future lender will look at this like you are a credit risk and might give you a higher rate or lower amount."

Wait. Now I'm confused. The one "legitimate" bill is $343. Are you saying that I will be worse off paying it than not paying it? Or, by "settle", do you mean paying pennies on the dollar? I would pay it in full.