Distribute Narcan to heroin users?

Just watched this short film concerning Narcan and overdosing.

Some of the footage is reenactments but there is one that is real where the dude is dying and they hit him with Narcan.

For those of you not familiar with Narcan, it is used to counteract opioids in the system.

The organization in the film distributes Narcan to junkies and their loved ones in case of an OD and increases awareness concerning signs of OD and instructions on how to use Narcan.

My question to you, is do you agree with distributing Narcan? Most would immediately take that "They are better off dead" stance, but think about if one of these people in the vid were a loved one?

They were all sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, and sometimes mothers and fathers at some point, so don't they deserve a chance at life?

Thoughts?

Methadone doesn't seem to be n answer. Phone Post 3.0

isn't Suboxone the same thing Phone Post 3.0

Larry Appleton - isn't Suboxone the same thing Phone Post 3.0

isn't that for people in recovery?

Narcan is a medicine you inject on someone who is overdosing and it snaps them out of it.

edit - looks like Suboxone is buprenorphine + naloxone(narcan) in it. makes sense.

Nothing more funny that pissing off a heroin user by giving them narcan. Sumbitches gt a case of the redass every time HG ruined their high when he was a Medic. Completely out one minute completely sober the next and ANGRY and Yelling, "Fuck thanking you for saving my life motherfucker, I want $20 from you for wasting my shit"!

I had a sadist of a partner for a while that used to give Narcan(in a prefilled syring) sub-lingual. Yep, he would jab it right into their tongue. Poor bastard would wake the fuck up wondering where they are and why blood was coming out of their mouth. He'd tell them they bit their tongue. Here's the kicker, Narcan only works for a short time so often they would nod out again so he would drill their asses again right in the tongue. By the time we'd get to the hospital some of these poor fuckers would have two or three big ass holes in their tongue.

BRUTAL but I lol'd

Also wait until your right outside the ER doors to push it so when they puke it's the hospital's smelly problem.

I say no. Hired gun is right about them waking up mad, but sometimes they wake up uncontrollably super mad. I learned early on not to give to much at once and to ALWAYS restrain them before giving it. I don't know how many times I've seen a medic get their ass kicked because the went slamming 4mg of narcan in to someone.

I like the thru the jaw approach for the narcan. Push the head all the way back, apex of jaw...boom intra lingual. We just got nose sprayers so we can't do it anymore. Was a sad day. Phone Post 3.0

jdsga - I say no. Hired gun is right about them waking up mad, but sometimes they wake up uncontrollably super mad. I learned early on not to give to much at once and to ALWAYS restrain them before giving it. I don't know how many times I've seen a medic get their ass kicked because the went slamming 4mg of narcan in to someone.

I knew of one company that issued medics handcuffs so they could lock the patient to a backboard to avoid ass kickings. I had a few other partners that would administer just enough narcan to keep a patient breathing but not wake them entirely up all the way to the hospital. This is a slippery slope. I understand why they think this is a good idea but I know the bad side of it as well. You can not fathom how pissed off some of these people get when their high is ruined.

Those few partners of yours had it right. Narcan should be titrated to effect. I never give more than 0.5mg at once. The average person isn't prepared for the puking screaming kicking punching madman narcan unleashes.

Hunter Thompson's .45 - This subject has always been a difficult dilemma for me. I was addicted to heroin for about 4 years, in various manners, but I never shot up. In my case, I had broken my back and was convinced I needed pain pills to function. The pills would always run out, and thus it began.

In the thick of it, it wouldn't matter what your solution for me was, I was going to remain an addict. Recovery is truly something that the individual must want for themselves. It isn't something that can be helped along. Recovery is literally an epiphany, and one too many addicts never experience.

On the other hand, I had a loving family that did continue to try to help me. I can't honestly say that I did it for them, but a part of me wants to believe that.

Addiction is about so much more than the drugs. Giving Narcan can save a life momentarily, but it will never touch the root of the problem. So, is it prolonging the inevitable or is it giving one more high for that epiphany to breakthrough and end the addiction?

I really don't know. But the debate is an important one to me. Phone Post 3.0

I wonder sometimes how many humans throughout history really know exactly what you are talking about. I betcha it's as old as the hills. Which makes it strange to me that we haven't found a way yet to educate each other away from it. I don't know if its arrogance or curiosity that compels me to touch the flame.
As for the Narcan use in the field? I don't really care tbh. It's not my business what's going on in your life before or after we meet. I just try to get you to the big brains with your heart still beating ;-) Phone Post