Divorce/alimony question

Best friends in the army and is getting divorced only married for about a year. Reason for divorce is she cheated on him while he was deployed(huge fucking cunt) he's a really nice guy and very naive but he's been paying her rent( he's from Texas and is stationed in Washington and she won't leave from up there) and giving her a 700 a month allowance(he's an idiot) but she told him she expects that 700 a month in alimony.

I have no idea how any of it works but I told him there's gotta be zero chance he's gotta pay that, am I right? Or am I wrong for his sake I hope I'm right Phone Post 3.0

HardWorkPersonalAccountability - what state are they filing in?

ask a divorce law expert in that state
He filed in Washington Phone Post 3.0

In Washington, there is no formula to determine the amount and frequency of maintenance payments. Instead, a court considers a set of factors to come up with a fair award. These factors include the duration and standard of living during the marriage, and the requesting spouse’s age, physical and emotional condition, and financial obligations. The court also looks at the requesting spouse’s financial resources, such as the separate or community property acquired at divorce, and this spouse’s ability to self-support. Likewise, the court evaluates the other spouse’s ability to pay.

Especially in the case of a long marriage, a dependent spouse may need additional education or training to achieve financial independence. Where this is the case, a court also considers, among other factors, the time necessary for the requesting spouse to complete training and find employment that is appropriate to this spouse’s skills and interests.

In addition to these listed factors, a court is free to look at anything else that impacts the spouses’ financial well-being after divorce. It also has wide discretion in how the payments are structured. For example, a court could order payments to be made on a temporary basis, permanently, or a combination of the two. Also, payments could be made in lump sum, periodically, or both.

http://www.divorcenet.com/resources/divorce/spousal-support/understanding-and-calculating-alimony-wa

Alimony is not an entitlement in WA. The courts can rule it to be unnecessary.

It's only been a year. She isn't getting alimony lol. Phone Post 3.0

itskrisdude -

In Washington, there is no formula to determine the amount and frequency of maintenance payments. Instead, a court considers a set of factors to come up with a fair award. These factors include the duration and standard of living during the marriage, and the requesting spouse’s age, physical and emotional condition, and financial obligations. The court also looks at the requesting spouse’s financial resources, such as the separate or community property acquired at divorce, and this spouse’s ability to self-support. Likewise, the court evaluates the other spouse’s ability to pay.

Especially in the case of a long marriage, a dependent spouse may need additional education or training to achieve financial independence. Where this is the case, a court also considers, among other factors, the time necessary for the requesting spouse to complete training and find employment that is appropriate to this spouse’s skills and interests.

In addition to these listed factors, a court is free to look at anything else that impacts the spouses’ financial well-being after divorce. It also has wide discretion in how the payments are structured. For example, a court could order payments to be made on a temporary basis, permanently, or a combination of the two. Also, payments could be made in lump sum, periodically, or both.

http://www.divorcenet.com/resources/divorce/spousal-support/understanding-and-calculating-alimony-wa

Thanks man! Screen shotted that and sent it to him. Poor guys freaking out. Phone Post 3.0

It'd be a Fucking shame if she did for less than a year and being the cause of divorce. Phone Post 3.0

Moderate Perfection - It's only been a year. She isn't getting alimony lol. Phone Post 3.0
That's my thought process on it lol Phone Post 3.0

cfv - It'd be a Fucking shame if she did for less than a year and being the cause of divorce. Phone Post 3.0
She's a stone cold bitch. Phone Post 3.0

If she gets alimony somebody should be shot. I don't see how anybody could think that is reasonable, even if there is no fault in a separation, 1 year is nothing, she didn't raise children, or do unlimited amounts of housework.

She got filled up while he was away earning money.

shaqitup - If she gets alimony somebody should be shot. I don't see how anybody could think that is reasonable, even if there is no fault in a separation, 1 year is nothing, she didn't raise children, or do unlimited amounts of housework.

She got filled up while he was away earning money.
He talked to her earlier this week and he's trying to be as civil as he possibly can. She asked him about her alimony payments and he says what any guy who's only been married for a year and has been cheated on says, um whaaaat? There's not going to be any this is what you did/decided. So she went and lawyered up supposedly and is demanding that she keep getting paid what he's paying her now.

Which she shouldn't be getting shit now anyway Phone Post 3.0