DLH/Mayorga: My thoughts

"lol @ the improved Oscar."

• Dropped Mayorga with one left hook in the first round (something Trinidad couldn't do with SEVERAL hooks, even when Mayorga dropped his hands) CHECK

• Pressed action and didn't run (as opposed to Oscar/Vargas-Oscar/Tito) CHECK

• Cut the ring aggressively and effectively (I've never seen him do this before) CHECK

• Threw overhand right that rocked Mayorga (a punch I've never seen him throw before) CHECK

• Used left hook as offensive weapon (as opposed to counter, as in his previous fights) CHECK

• Won EVERY round of his fight (last time he did this was against Gatti) CHECK

• Reduced opponent's punchstat to 14% CHECK

• Was completely unmarked by Mayorga (as opposed to Trinidad, who was marked despite his KO victory) CHECK

• Was able to out-powerpunch a more powerful puncher (he tended to be gunshy around powerful punchers before) CHECK

Kangaroo is doing some hating imho. Mayorga is a dangerous fighter. He's far from the best boxer on the planet, but he hits like a train and has an iron chin. Tito bombed him and didn't have the effect that ODH did. It was an impressive showing for ODH.

As for a PBF fight I don't think it's a fight that ODH will win, but I wouldn't necessarily count him out. If PBF is going to lose anytime soon it'll be because he steps up a bit too far in weight and runs in to the wrong guy at the wrong time. ODH could be that guy.

As for PBF not having the same fan base as Margarito, I may have agreed with this a year or two ago, but now I'm not so sure. Mayweather's purse against Judah was almost the same as ODH's for the Mayorga fight if I'm remembering correctly. I am assuming that ODH's ppv share is much more favorable than Mayweather's, but Mayweather's purse's have quietly climbed the ladder. You've got to be pulling some kind of fan base to generate an $8mil purse.

"I would be stunned if Hatton's people pushed seriously for Oscar fight now. They can make tons of dough fighting Collazo-type of guys."

I hope boxing fans make enough noise so that he won't stick to this strategy for an overly long period of time.

If he's going to do that, then he might as well just stay home and continue to fight horizontal Englishmen.

There was an article in the Boston Globe about Hatton and his upcoming fight. Good article. Hatton comes off as a pretty good down to earth guy. In the article his trainer does say that he sees Hatton only fighting for another 2-3 years, and that his last fight would ideally be against Mayweather.

Dropped Mayorga with one left hook in the first round

Mayorga was in the process of throwing a hook himself and never saw the punch coming. The timing of the punch was what made it work...

Pressed action and didn't run (as opposed to Oscar/Vargas-Oscar/Tito)

He had nothing to run from. Mayorga cant box and doesnt have DLH's speed or pure skill.

Won EVERY round of his fight

whoopdeedo, he was fighting Mayorga

Reduced opponent's punchstat to 14%

Mayorga is a human windmill with no boxing skill, DLH should have held him to that

Kangaroo is doing some hating imho. Mayorga is a dangerous fighter. He's far from the best boxer on the planet, but he hits like a train and has an iron chin. Tito bombed him and didn't have the effect that ODH did. It was an impressive showing for ODH

Im not hating, im trying to be realistic. ODH handpicked Mayorga because he was an easy fight. He was the overwhelming favorite over a hasbeen and he performed as such. This fight didnt prove much other then ODH can beat up on lesser opponents. Granted he needed a tuneup for bigger and better things, but lets treat the fight as such, not a monumental acheivement.

I thought he looked really sharp. I favored him to win, but thought Mayorga would give him a few rough moments.

I was glad to see that he moved his feet more against Mayorga. I thought his usual pivoting around in the philly stance might cause him to take more punishment than needed. Mayorga is a guy who really needs to set his feet before he punches and doesn't too much care where they land either.

Oscar kept him from setting and got out of range by using his legs more than he had been in recent fights. Smart decision. I also thought his timing looked excellent from the beginning and he was able to disrupt his rythmn effectively too.

Comparing his performance to Tito's isn't fair either. How many fighters have we seen who were never quite the same after fighting Tito? We'll never know how much that pounding took out of him. Oscar's beatdown wont help things any either lol.

"Mayorga was in the process of throwing a hook himself and never saw the punch coming. The timing of the punch was what made it work..."

So it worked. Thank you for proving my point for me.

"Pressed action and didn't run (as opposed to Oscar/Vargas-Oscar/Tito)"

LOL! Mayorga is a hell of a puncher. He had lots to run from!

But hey, you're entitled to your opinion. :)

homie:

I think underestimating is a good word. Mayorga would destroy most of us here in a boxing match (and a streetfight too, I think), so I don't take the "has been" comments too seriously. He looked good in training, and he looked good in the fight. His punches looked painful when they landed (and sounded that way also).

i didn't think mayorga was washed up at all coming into this fight.

One of the big selling points going into the fight was how Mayorga had trained long and hard for this one. As opposed to the Trinidad fight, where he supposedly only trained for about a month before the bout.

So Oscar faced a prepared and in shape version of Mayorga, who theoretically should have been dangerous and given him some troublesome moments.

I'd like to see Oscar VS. Floyd. After watching Floyd VS. Judah I really doubt Mayweather will dominate as bad as some of you think. DLH has much better power, boxing skills than Judah + a great chin with great speed. I think Floyd is a great fighter but a bit overrated.