Do any other guys use Marcelo's guillotine?

Of at least of the high level competitors I mean, the choke is so quick and effective it seems strange that other guys wouldnt be using it, is it a pride thing? Seems like a no brainer to swtich to his style of choke, or at least go for it in certain cases

Correct me if I'm wrong, I just havent seen it from anyone else

I physically cannoy do it with my left arm. I don't know why.

I love it, only guillotine I use now.

As far as high level I'm pretty sure Leo used it on Ryan Hall at ADCC 09 Phone Post

For a free week at MGinAction use promocode "joshjitsu311" Phone Post

Glover does.

if you mean bringing your elbow over the opponents shoulder matt serra tapped a guy standing with it quite a while ago in adcc trials i believe... a lot of people use it, but marcelo made it popular by practicing it enough to catch high level guys with it.

BJJ black belt and MMA fighter extraordinaire Brandon Bender reminds me the most of Marcelo's choking style.

RNC with no hooks, arm in guillotines, bulldog chokes and other chokes that don't even have names yet. The sick thing is how he combines them all. Brandon is flat out stupid with it. 8-0 with 7 straight 1st round wins by choke. It's really an eye opener I still remember the days when there was no such thing as an arm in guilltoine because it had to be the neck only, no arms, lol. Now the guillotine has countless variations.

Baroquen Record - if you mean bringing your elbow over the opponents shoulder matt serra tapped a guy standing with it quite a while ago in adcc trials i believe... a lot of people use it, but marcelo made it popular by practicing it enough to catch high level guys with it.

good call, forgot that one, just seen it on that new best of adcc highlight

ricardo vieira does it in this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jyBQtkDotU&feature=fvwrel

I also have a hard time doing it...I find it takes a lot of shoulder flexibility to pull it off. Most likely, I'm doing something wrong. Anyone have any tips???

rickson_basics - I also have a hard time doing it...I find it takes a lot of shoulder flexibility to pull it off. Most likely, I'm doing something wrong. Anyone have any tips???

I have been having success with it, I watched a lot of the vids online about it that really helped

I would say some keys would be dropping to your hip and cruching to that side so you can get the elbow lift on the other side

If they fight follow them to the mount and post on you head, it's a quick tap once you get it

Like all subs, it's hard to get on good opponents. It's not that people aren't trying Phone Post

liquidrob - 
rickson_basics - I also have a hard time doing it...I find it takes a lot of shoulder flexibility to pull it off. Most likely, I'm doing something wrong. Anyone have any tips???

I have been having success with it, I watched a lot of the vids online about it that really helped

I would say some keys would be dropping to your hip and cruching to that side so you can get the elbow lift on the other side

If they fight follow them to the mount and post on you head, it's a quick tap once you get it

Thanks for the tips...I always felt like my arm/forearm wasn't long enough. Crunching the side seems like it would free up a lot of space.

liquidrob - 

Actually, I think you just have to keep practicing the elbow lift. It's an awkward motion at first, but I'm not very flexible, and am sucessful at getting that position (not saying I can always finish though).

I think if you are waiting until you drop to your hip and crunch to your side to get space to lift the elbow, it will already take too much time, and your opponent can already reach over your shoulder to alleviate the choke (what the elbow lift is preventing).

If you watch Marcelo, once he gets the guillotine grip, he immediately throws the elbow over.

I agree, I throw the elbow up first and than do the rest, but he is having issues getting the elbow up

Maybe he needs to get his hip out more to free up some space before hand, it's a speed move though and have to hit it quick, for me atleast

Ricardo Vieira used on me about a 5-6 times when I rolled with him, then said I should protect my neck more lol! normally I do.

No actually I use my guillotine. Therein lies the problem. If I could use Marcelo's life would be so much easier. All I need is about 8000 more reps against high level opponents...

One of Paul creightons guys showed me that type something like 6 years ago so I'm sure it's been used in renzos camp for a bit. I think I just saw it in the helio gracie self defense book. It just goes to show there are no new moves. Marcelo strikes me as one of those who finds a move they like, drills the hell out of it and can do it to anyone the want.

quick question, when did Marcelo switch to the elbow lift guillotine?

I seen a quick clip of his 'new game jiu jitsu' series and he used a different guillotine, not the standard one, and not the elbow lift, looks like he was in the process of trying a new guillotine before deciding on the elbow lift

interesting to see the evolution of his stuff