Do females have bigger egos?

I don’t mean to sound misogynistic. I’ve seen extremely egotistical men who can’t handle being tapped and don’t train whatsoever. 

But I’ve noticed something happen when women hit blue belt. The way they look down on white belts, or visiting blue belts is astounding. 

PS I’ve been training for 6 years and have yet to meet a female purple belt at any gym. Lots of blue belts though 

You’re going too hard 

you’re not going hard enough 

In a general sense, I agree.

I think it has to do with the fact that most women are getting smashed by a good male high school wrestler and that’s gotta be a tough pill to swallowing after 2-4 years of hard work.

Nope. I've heard stories about guys crying because they've been tapped by women. There's a purple belt lady at my gym. 

checkuroil -

You’re going too hard 

you’re not going hard enough 

Lol

That’s not been my experience.

Rubber Bando -
donkypunch55 -

In a general sense, I agree.

I think it has to do with the fact that most women are getting smashed by a good male high school wrestler and that’s gotta be a tough pill to swallowing after 2-4 years of hard work.

Yeah, but they know they can smash any chic out there. They shouldn't even put themselves in the same category as men, ffs.

You would think.

I’m a blue belt and occasionally I’ll get handled by some much larger college wrestler who’s a no-stripe white belt and I KNOW that I shouldn’t be butt-hurt about it, but...

lol.

I see lots of women who only roll with other women or small male white belts.  Is it for safety or ego?  Some of both probably.  Much higher percentage than males.  That said, it must be super difficult to be a female in BJJ.  Most women wouldn’t even consider trying, so props to them

i know a guy that likes roll with or by the female just to fart by them. it would only the silent ones so they dont know its him.

About 20% of my club is female.  We have tons of purple belts at our afiliate HQ (down the street).  I don’t see any of the issues that you guys see and if anyone was purposefully farting near anyone would handled appropriately. 

Easters -

I see lots of women who only roll with other women or small male white belts.  Is it for safety or ego?  Some of both probably.  Much higher percentage than males.  That said, it must be super difficult to be a female in BJJ.  Most women wouldn’t even consider trying, so props to them

From what I’ve witnessed, it’s safety.

I went to our affiliate this weekend and asked some 110 lb female white belt to roll.  She gave me the stink eye.  

I said, “I’m not a dick, I work”

She said, “you better, I got friends here”, lol.

It went well.  I pretty  much just let her work stuff with the occasional sweep or catch-and-release sub attempt from me.

I think women generally have bigger egos than men, bjj has nothing to do with it

I think you gents are confusing ‘more fragile’ ego with bigger ego.

Look at it from their perspective, let's say they're 5'4 135lbs and a 5'10 185lbs guy asks them to roll, they're giving up 50 pounds to him, and additionally giving up muscle density and size.   That'd be like the 5'10 guy going to a gym full of 6'4 235lbs guys that have more muscle density and mass.

I'm the big guy at my gym now (as previous bigger guys have left) and I know to roll with certain people certain ways, it's what I do in almost every roll in the gym, but I still have guys that don't roll with me because they see someone that has 50+lbs on them.  It's cool, I still get 7+ rolls a night, it doesn't affect me, but I have a feeling those same guys are on places like here, reddit, facebook, etc. saying things like this that females need to drop their ego and roll and be willing to get smashed.

TLDR: If you've ever ducked the "big guy" at an open mat or during drilling, you have no room to talk about females needing to roll with guys.

What a weird and stupid thread.

kennyfrommd -

What a weird and stupid thread.

+1 op doesn't get laid

ItsMy1stDay -

Look at it from their perspective, let's say they're 5'4 135lbs and a 5'10 185lbs guy asks them to roll, they're giving up 50 pounds to him, and additionally giving up muscle density and size.   That'd be like the 5'10 guy going to a gym full of 6'4 235lbs guys that have more muscle density and mass.

I'm the big guy at my gym now (as previous bigger guys have left) and I know to roll with certain people certain ways, it's what I do in almost every roll in the gym, but I still have guys that don't roll with me because they see someone that has 50+lbs on them.  It's cool, I still get 7+ rolls a night, it doesn't affect me, but I have a feeling those same guys are on places like here, reddit, facebook, etc. saying things like this that females need to drop their ego and roll and be willing to get smashed.

TLDR: If you've ever ducked the "big guy" at an open mat or during drilling, you have no room to talk about females needing to roll with guys.

Pretty good take. 

ItsMy1stDay - 

The only issue I've seen along these lines are individual - some women will look at the size difference and --- without any discussion with their partner --- decide the size difference means they can go 110%, but the larger partner cannot go above 10% ever during the roll.

What generally happens is the larger partner will escalate, because the smaller woman is going all out, and now the smaller woman will assume the larger partner is a horrible human being and should never be trained with again.

Personally, I’ll only train with guys who have been doing BJJ for a while, are closer to my size and weight, and who I know well. I don’t want to get hurt rolling, I’ve got to be able to work the next day. The reason I train with the more advanced guys is that they’re skilled enough to not hurt me by spazzing or by not understanding how the technique works. I try to train with lighter guys because I’ve actually hurt my back and hamstrings trying to shrimp off of or upa the bigger guys. I have no ego when it comes to tapping early and often. Keep in mind that many women, especially those new to BJJ, are really panicked by a guy mounting them or putting them in a headlock. Also, sports like wrestling and tackle football are not something that many women did as children, so the physical closeness of BJJ, even with other women, can be hard for us to get used to. Like some men, there are gals who are egotistical, aggressive, and have something to prove. Just give them a wide berth, they usually don’t last too long in a BJJ dojo.

No idea.

But, I will say I have been really disappointed 2 or 3 times when I have PERFECT training partners for female students --same exact size & rank-- but when they get together, they don’t get along at all.

I ASSUME they will be thrilled to roll with each other, but I have had two times I can think of where women have told me they didn’t want to be paired up anymore with one of the other women in class. In both cases the women were almost the exact same size.