Do FIVE Round Bouts create "Point" Fighters????

I have been giving thought to this, and I would like to hear some other thoughts.

Prior to the five round bouts, it seemed that fighters went out to finish fights. With the chance of needing to fight that added 10 minutes, I think it indirectly encourages fighters to not go for finishes, in order to have something in the tank, in case the fight goes the duration.

For instance, GSP was a finisher, but that changed. Was it due to the mentality of the five round fights, or was it due to the superior competition in those fights? Hendricks was a "finisher" but did not appear to be that type of fighter in the last Lawler fight. I think those added rounds have to be a factor.

What do you think?

"Hendricks was a "finisher" but did not appear to be that type of fighter in the last Lawler fight."

He's only finished half of his wins and I think most were one-punch KOs, not a result of being super aggressive and going balls-out because he only had to worry about 3 rounds.

I think it's more about keeping the belt or winning the bout that creates point fighters. Phone Post 3.0

ricoricoramos - No , Greg Jackson does Phone Post 3.0
Vu Phone Post 3.0

Good question. Better opposition has something to do with it but not going for it plays a big part. Phone Post 3.0